The Student Room Group

what r ur honest gcse opinions :)

just curious what everyone’s opinions are on these GCSEs like how interesting or how hard they are etc :smile::

-English Lang
-English lit
-maths
-biology
-chemistry
-physics
-Spanish
-Geograhy
-history
-pe
-business
English language- tbh if you understand how to complete each question then ur fine. Bcuz the answers will be in the source u get. Except u have to annotate etc. and writing the speeches, letters, etc r rlly easy thats only if u read and write often. If U dont i suggest U start doing one of these or both. Bcuz it helps alot trust me. It is isnt that hard. But practice makes it easier.

English literature- you need to know quotes. And how they relate to what Ur writing abt. Have clear understanding of the story etc.
Poems part is kinda easy ISH.... Like U just need to know context. Alot and U need to know how each poem relates and is different to each other too. And makes sure U annotate Ur poems rlly well.

Maths- the difficulty rate depends on the set Ur in. I say maths gets harder if Ur at a higher set since U will need to know more and at a faster time rate. But U need to make sire U list and focus bcuz if U get what ur doing and remember then ur good.

I don't do triple science but all ik ABT triple is that you learn wayyyy more than combine do. And make sure you revise extra notes more.

Geography- soo make sure you understand the commands of the question like when It says suggest, explain etc. Remember key words and definitions. And always remember if the source is given to U and theres a question on it always refer to the source. That gives u most marks. Depends.

Spanish- I do french but all I can say ABT learning a language for GCSE is learn key sentences and good structural sentences. Like keep it simple but make sure it is complex at the same time to give U Ur marks. Always remember higher mark sentences. Always recap Ur vocab often. It is ok but it depends on if Ur good at Spanish or not.

I don't do the others sooo sorry. But overall thing is revise regularly!!!!
Original post by chiararara
just curious what everyone’s opinions are on these GCSEs like how interesting or how hard they are etc :smile::

-English Lang
-English lit
-maths
-biology
-chemistry
-physics
-Spanish
-Geograhy
-history
-pe
-business

my personal opinions:
english lang- really easy as there’s nothing to memorise, but pretty boring because it’s just loads of essays crammed into a couple papers. just make sure you know what to write for each question and do past paper practise frequently.
english lit- i personally find it difficult but that’s mostly because i’ve been completely ignoring it during my revision. it’s fairly interesting though, i love analysing the texts. the quotes aren’t too difficult to memorise if you use flash cards.
maths- this is entirely dependent on the set and your teacher. just do as many practise questions as possible and do not be afraid to ask for help if you’re struggling on a question. i personally find it fairly easy but it entirely depends on how you learn best.
triple science- each school does this differently, mine does extra lessons during form time and sometimes we have to learn things for homework. it’s VERY content heavy but a lot of the more interesting content e.g. space physics are on the triple only paper.
history- another really content heavy one, and very much essay based which isn’t great if you prefer short answer questions. it’s a lot of just memorising facts and events which isn’t too difficult if you organise it well with flash cards etc. it’s really interesting though
languages- i do french, and i find it super easy and all my friends say spanish is easier than french. just do as much practise of speaking, writing and listening to spanish as possible to make sure you can detect words and pronounce them.
i don’t do geography pe or business so can’t give much input on those!
i personally wouldn't do both history and geography. ik a lot of ppl who did and they regret it. it is quite tough on top of ur other subjects, but if u enjoy them then go for it.

imo for gcses ur subjects dont rlly matter that much. take what u might want to study after gcses but after that take all the easy ones to maximise ur grade average which helps a lot with getting into sixth form and some unis. i took business and rs and comp sci which (for me) me is super easy and means that i dont have to spend much time revising yet still maintain high 9 grades throughout. u dont want ur optional subjects getting in the way of ur core ones that matter, e.g. i also took history which im already behind on and my gcses are coming up and id rather revise english lit and my sciences and maths as those matter a lot more for me. (i still enjoy history, my modules are interesting, but imo too much- legit 4 textbooks- for an optional subject, however a lot of it is exam technique as well, its mainly getting a 9 that is tedious)
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 4
Original post by ismaelishere
i personally wouldn't do both history and geography. ik a lot of ppl who did and they regret it. it is quite tough on top of ur other subjects, but if u enjoy them then go for it.
imo for gcses ur subjects dont rlly matter that much. take what u might want to study after gcses but after that take all the easy ones to maximise ur grade average which helps a lot with getting into sixth form and some unis. i took business and rs and comp sci which (for me) me is super easy and means that i dont have to spend much time revising yet still maintain high 9 grades throughout. u dont want ur optional subjects getting in the way of ur core ones that matter, e.g. i also took history which im already behind on and my gcses are coming up and id rather revise english lit and my sciences and maths as those matter a lot more for me. (i still enjoy history, my modules are interesting, but imo too much- legit 4 textbooks- for an optional subject, however a lot of it is exam technique as well, its mainly getting a 9 that is tedious)
what would you say is the hardest bit about history? is it the timing, question structure or is there too much content? and what exam board do you do? :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by ther0sesaredead
my personal opinions:
english lang- really easy as there’s nothing to memorise, but pretty boring because it’s just loads of essays crammed into a couple papers. just make sure you know what to write for each question and do past paper practise frequently.
english lit- i personally find it difficult but that’s mostly because i’ve been completely ignoring it during my revision. it’s fairly interesting though, i love analysing the texts. the quotes aren’t too difficult to memorise if you use flash cards.
maths- this is entirely dependent on the set and your teacher. just do as many practise questions as possible and do not be afraid to ask for help if you’re struggling on a question. i personally find it fairly easy but it entirely depends on how you learn best.
triple science- each school does this differently, mine does extra lessons during form time and sometimes we have to learn things for homework. it’s VERY content heavy but a lot of the more interesting content e.g. space physics are on the triple only paper.
history- another really content heavy one, and very much essay based which isn’t great if you prefer short answer questions. it’s a lot of just memorising facts and events which isn’t too difficult if you organise it well with flash cards etc. it’s really interesting though
languages- i do french, and i find it super easy and all my friends say spanish is easier than french. just do as much practise of speaking, writing and listening to spanish as possible to make sure you can detect words and pronounce them.
do you have a specific way of making flash cards or do u just write down the content? :smile:
my personal opinions:
do you have a specific way of making flash cards or do u just write down the content? :smile:

some examples for eng lit could include:
- complete the quote
- give quotes that are an example of [theme] in [character]
- questions about context and its relevance to the text (e.g: how did people in Jacobean times feel about the supernatural and how is this significant in Macbeth- idk if you’re doing macbeth but that kind of thing for all of them)
my personal opinions:

and for history you could try and match people to events and add dates, explain what happened in the event and even questions about how you structure your essays in the exams are helpful
-English Lang
-English lit
-maths
-biology
-chemistry
-physics
-Spanish
-Geograhy
-history
-pe
-business
english lang- fine if you know what the question wants
lit- I hate it with a passion but if you know quotes and themes you'll be fine
maths- do practise questions, learn through application- if you don't understand watch videos and repeat the topic
biology- learn definitions, mark schemes can be bad but if you understand roughly what they want you should be getting marks
chemistry- best mark scheme for science, honestly just learn and if you don't understand a topic do pmt questions
physics- love this, but can be difficult- honestly as soon as you don't understand, ask as it can be difficult to move on if you don't know how to answer previous. in my experience class tests are much harder than the actual exam papers
geography- annoying, learn how to write fast and you need to know facts. they don't have to be exact but knowing rough values will get you marks. for fieldwork make data up, no need to memorise exact values.

overall make flashcards for sciences, others do practise questions mostly. geography and englishes ask your teacher to mark them as you won't be able to yourself
-English Lang: honestly, easy. non-fiction is harder than fiction, but Q5 on both is super formulaic and counts for half the paper so my main advice is to really nail that.
-English lit: if you don't like your texts, i imagine this'll be a lot harder. shakespeare is my favourite component in this (i do macbeth).
-maths: "what the hell is even that"
-biology: hell to the no
-chemistry: the easiest science!! i love
-physics: more difficult, but the most interesting to me. i wish space physics and nuclear physics were longer (and electricity was shorter)
-Spanish: i dont do it but MFLs are scaryyyyy like i aint speaking in my rubbish accent to an examiner!! thas why i did latin lol
-Geograhy: WHY DID I TAKE THIS.
-history: i wish i'd taken this instead of geo
-pe: i don't do it, but it seems kinda chill
-business: my school doesn't offer this so no clue 😭
what would you say is the hardest bit about history? is it the timing, question structure or is there too much content? and what exam board do you do? :smile:

I do GCSE Edexcel History, question structure is fine but the amount of time you get to answer questions is challenging for a few people. I like the topics I do but not too keen on the American West (1835-95)
Original post by gcseadvise!!
I do GCSE Edexcel History, question structure is fine but the amount of time you get to answer questions is challenging for a few people. I like the topics I do but not too keen on the American West (1835-95)

ur right, american west is PAIN
-English Lang
-English lit
-maths
-biology
-chemistry
-physics
-Spanish
-Geograhy
-history
-pe
-business

spanish shouldn’t be too hard if you learn the vocab, can start maybe listening to spanish podcasts & spanish dubbed netflix to improve listening fluency

history very very manageable with the cgp flashcards and books

none of these r too hard tbh if you watch good youtube videos on it or have cgp guides.

mreverythingenglish for eng lang and lit all the way
-English Lang
-English lit
-maths
-biology
-chemistry
-physics
-Spanish
-Geograhy
-history
-pe
-business

Eng Lang - A depends what text you get especially for non-fiction.. for me I think I should have paid more attention when I was in Year 10 an started reading and writing cuz honestly if you wanna get high grades yuo need to start early so its one of the hardest for me
Eng Lit- Absolutely horrible at first but I think I'm starting to get a hang of it... the poetry section is the best bcs it doesn't matter what specific poem you compare with another poem just know it well.
Maths- Easy but hard to get a 9
Biology- Too much content and the exam board I do (AQA) is too strict with wordings
Chemistry- Lovely!! Thats all I can say.. tbh I think what people hate about it is when you see too much compounds that you don't know and the calculations like Quantitative Chemistry can be hard to grasp onto
Physics- At first everyone is confused.. the best thing is to imagine you yourself doing it or look at an animation (magnetism).. Ask yourself the question 'What will happen if I pull this trigger or somethn?' etc... Use your hands if u have to
Spanish- The easiest out of all of them... what helped with listening was to use duolingo podcasts or listening to spanish songs and watching movies. To learn tenses my teacher used to sing songs and it has stayed with me ever since.
Geography- I'd have love to do it but not got chosen
History- Even if I had the option I would not choose it.. The content might be interesting but I see my friends making hundreds of flashcards and the writing is intense (2hrs is something)
Pe- I still do it every week but not one of my chosen subjects
Business- My skl does not have it as an option

Quick Reply

Latest