Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanyapotter)
    i want to apply for engineering science with AAAA at AS (in maths, further maths, physics and german, all 90%+) and 8 A*s and 2 As at gcse but i haven't started revising for the physics aptitude test properly yet and i haven't started my personal statement either so i really feel like it's too late to apply to oxford at this point (i don't know if i consciously try to ruin opportunities for myself but it's a real problem lmao). has anyone else not started revising for an aptitude test yet? or not started their PS?
    Start revising for the PAT right now. Go. Do it.

The personal statement doesn't take long. Do it tonight.

You have more than a month.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NT226)
    I'm applying for maths. I've done a draft personal statement but haven't really started preparing much for the MAT yet but I have been teaching myself FP2 over the summer.
    Nice, so you have done much more than me. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ombtom)
    Start revising for the PAT right now. Go. Do it.

The personal statement doesn't take long. Do it tonight.

You have more than a month.
    AAAHHH!!!!!! OKAY I WILL i'm scared

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys
    When do you receive your predicted grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

I have no idea. I haven't heard anything yet? But I'm waiting till I go back to school. So maybe you should wait till then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n.safar4)
    Hey guys
    When do you receive your predicted grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have no idea, but I think that you can get your predicted grades when you go back to school? Or you could just email your individual subject teachers and see what they say?

ReputationRep:
    Anybody else get into the Year 13 Application Day?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smithy-Smiths)
    Posted from TSR Mobile

I have no idea, but I think that you can get your predicted grades when you go back to school? Or you could just email your individual subject teachers and see what they say?
    Well I asked my classmates and they said they issue it in January so how will I provide this to Oxford?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well I asked my classmates and they said they issue it in January so how will I provide this to Oxford?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Mine were mentioned in the reference.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well that certainly can't be the case! If I were you I'd talk to your teachers and inform them of your intentions to apply to Oxford. So just let them know.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Who's in charge of your reference? They should know how to get hold of your predicted grades. My school also didn't "publish" predicted grades until after the Oxbridge deadline but my referee just contacted my teachers to request predicted grades and that was no problem.

ReputationRep:
    If I have AAABB at As does anyone think I could get a place?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieBarlow87)
    If I have AAABB at As does anyone think I could get a place?
    Yes, although it would help if the A's are in subjects that are relevant to what you're intending to apply for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    Yes, although it would help if the A's are in subjects that are relevant to what you're intending to apply for.
    planning on studying physics- I have an A in physics but not in maths :/ I think my teachers will still predict me and A/A* though
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    planning on studying physics- I have an A in physics but not in maths :/ I think my teachers will still predict me and A/A* though
    That could be a problem, given how important Maths is to your subject. I guess you might have a chance if your results in the PAT (particularly the maths section) strongly suggested that your AS result in Maths was a fluke, combined with an excellent interview, but it would really have to be very impressive.

ReputationRep:
    That could be a problem, given how important Maths is to your subject. I guess you might have a chance if your results in the PAT (particularly the maths section) strongly suggested that your AS result in Maths was a fluke, combined with an excellent interview, but it would really have to be very impressive.
    If my teacher predicted me an A* would they pay more attention to the prediction or the AS grade?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    If my teacher predicted me an A* would they pay more attention to the prediction or the AS grade?
    It probably would help, although not by a huge amount since they're also aware that predictions can be wrong, particularly if they're predicting such a big leap in grades. As I've said, an extremely impressive PAT and interview performance might persuade the tutors that your AS Maths grade was a fluke but I'm not going to lie and say that a B in AS Maths isn't a problem when you're applying for Physics at somewhere like Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    It probably would help, although not by a huge amount since they're also aware that predictions can be wrong, particularly if they're predicting such a big leap in grades. As I've said, an extremely impressive PAT and interview performance might persuade the tutors that your AS Maths grade was a fluke but I'm not going to lie and say that a B in AS Maths isn't a problem when you're applying for Physics at somewhere like Oxford.
    Do you think it would be better to just not apply this year and wait till next year, because I know I can get an A*, I'm only a few ums off an A and I have had 100% on nearly all homework and tests this year,
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Do you think it would be better to just not apply this year and wait till next year, because I know I can get an A*, I'm only a few ums off an A and I have had 100% on nearly all homework and tests this year,
    Unless you genuinely want to take a gap year, no. Taking a year out just for the sake of improving your chance of getting into Oxford isn't a great idea because even with top grades, you're still not guaranteed a place and you could very well end up where you started, but now having wasted an entire year of your time. There's still no harm in applying to Oxford and with AAABB at AS you've still got a great chance for practically every other university in the UK, and the truth is that you'll probably end up just as happy somewhere else as you would be at Oxford even if you don't get in.

If you do have ideas on how you could spend your gap year constructively and you don't feel that it would be a wasted year even if you didn't get into Oxford the second time round, then you could apply post-A2. If your A2 results are great then you'd definitely be in a much stronger position applying. It's still not a bad idea to apply this year though, at the very worst you'll have gained experience that will be useful in your second application.

ReputationRep:
    Unless you genuinely want to take a gap year, no. Taking a year out just for the sake of improving your chance of getting into Oxford isn't a great idea because even with top grades, you're still not guaranteed a place and you could very well end up where you started, but now having wasted an entire year of your time. There's still no harm in applying to Oxford and with AAABB at AS you've still got a great chance for practically every other university in the UK, and the truth is that you'll probably end up just as happy somewhere else as you would be at Oxford even if you don't get in.

If you do have ideas on how you could spend your gap year constructively and you don't feel that it would be a wasted year even if you didn't get into Oxford the second time round, then you could apply post-A2. If your A2 results are great then you'd definitely be in a much stronger position applying. It's still not a bad idea to apply this year though, at the very worst you'll have gained experience that will be useful in your second application.
    Yeah I guess that's true. Its not so much that I've got my heart set on oxford, its more that I feel like my maths grade gives me a disadvantage for most unis really, I don't feel like I should have that disadvantage (I am looking into a remark which might remove this problem)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.