The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

jody89
I was wondering if there was a list of topics which might come up on the Maths paper on Tuesday, (Non Calculator) e.g. pythagoras, circle theorems, LCM, HCF. If not, does anyone have ideas?
For anyone of those who are going to do it, I wish you the best of luck!! Sure you will super!!!! =)

anything could come up. You can't really predict GCSE exams. Download a copy of your specification.
Reply 2
Well I think that they can really ask you anything in this paper. They can even ask you pythag or shapes, becuase they can simply give you algebraic values to compute, rather than actual numbers. ie. testing your skill with the theory of how its done, rather than actaully doing it. So anything can come up! (except probably those really long equations with long numbers which they ask you to approximate and then to work out)

Also beware that in this paper, there will be a really long algebra question near the end, and something to do with transformations and contructions of bisectors etc.
Reply 3
Check this past papers website: www.gcsemathspastpapers.com

There are some patterns, but not much though. I would just practice all the types of stuff in the math exams.
Reply 4
jody89
I was wondering if there was a list of topics which might come up on the Maths paper on Tuesday, (Non Calculator) e.g. pythagoras, circle theorems, LCM, HCF. If not, does anyone have ideas?
For anyone of those who are going to do it, I wish you the best of luck!! Sure you will super!!!! =)

try a syllabus:smile:
Reply 5
i doubt they would ask trig, unless they think u can remember all values of sin, cos and tan :rolleyes:
They can ask anything. Even stuff that requires really hard formulas. I always freak out at these and miss them out and then realise they can be done with really easy numbers....
Reply 7
Vazzyb
Well I think that they can really ask you anything in this paper. They can even ask you pythag or shapes, becuase they can simply give you algebraic values to compute, rather than actual numbers. ie. testing your skill with the theory of how its done, rather than actaully doing it. So anything can come up! (except probably those really long equations with long numbers which they ask you to approximate and then to work out)

Also beware that in this paper, there will be a really long algebra question near the end, and something to do with transformations and contructions of bisectors etc.

even in the intermediate tier? :eek:
Reply 8
Oh thanks! I'll just learn everything to be on the safe side =)
Are you just doing lots of papers for practise and revision?
Reply 9
magnum
even in the intermediate tier? :eek:

No sorry, i was talking about the higher. I can't say im familiar enough with intermediate, to make any predictions.
Reply 10
DeadHead
i doubt they would ask trig, unless they think u can remember all values of sin, cos and tan :rolleyes:

They can ask trig, and have previously actaully.You just need to remember SOH CAH TOA. You can actaully work sin, cos and tan without a calculator, as long as the raio is easy enough.
Reply 11
Vazzyb
They can ask trig, and have previously actaully.You just need to remember SOH CAH TOA. You can actaully work sin, cos and tan without a calculator, as long as the raio is easy enough.

they wont ask you it, becuase we dont do it manually anymore, they cannot ask trig, becuase to learn trig manually is not on the syllabus
Reply 12
ok :smile: but there was a similar question in the November Paper 5 2004. (which is the most recent paper)
Reply 13
i've got that exam on tuesday as well, Higher Tier. i wish anyone whos got it good luck!!!!!!!
all you's worryin bout maths....i am as much as any1 ....... i really want an A* cos i took in year 10 and got A*'s in both papers but only a high B in coursework.....PULLED OVERALL GRADE DOWN TO AN A :frown:
Reply 15
lol go on, i wish i knew my coursework mark, i hate being in set 1 (weve got 4sets btw), my teacher is always saying

"last year 30 out of 31 studentd in set 1 got A* and the only reason the other boy didnt is because of his coursework"

not something you want to hear!
Reply 16
is any of your coursework gettin sent off to the exam board? mine is so my teacher had to mark it really hard my so marks wont go down, but might go up. i've heard edexcel mark it really hard!!
Reply 17
xx007
is any of your coursework gettin sent off to the exam board? mine is so my teacher had to mark it really hard my so marks wont go down, but might go up. i've heard edexcel mark it really hard!!

lol i dunno, noone get told their marks, of anythin about it, and our teacher is one of those people you just dont ask,lol
Reply 18
mtbab
lol i dunno, noone get told their marks, of anythin about it, and our teacher is one of those people you just dont ask,lol

Weird, we all got told our marks.

You can't really worry about maths too much, if you find the exam hard then everyone will be find it hard and so boundaries get moved, last year you only needed 45% or so for an A i read (Guardian Education - Maths GCSE) so no real point worrying is my theory =)
Intermediate is so easy. I can't believe i wans't allowed to take Higher :mad:

Latest