The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

LC01
1.Yes I am sad the British way is being lost, but more than sad im pissed off, not sure why you put a smile next to it, you obviously dont like the British way of doing things.
2.Ghandi getting rid of the British hahahaha if it were not for the left wingers in our government and world war 2 we could have ruled it to this day with ease.

Its very hard to supress a country by force from close, let alone afar. I mean look at Russia vs Chechnya.
Reply 61
foolfarian
Its very hard to supress a country by force from close, let alone afar. I mean look at Russia vs Chechnya.

And yet we managed it with a 3rd of the world, although it was wrong, it does show you what us Brits can do when we put our heads together.
LC01
And yet we managed it with a 3rd of the world, although it was wrong, it does show you what us Brits can do when we put our heads together.

you keep saying it is wrong but then adding bits like that which makes you sound proud of what happened.
Reply 63
juueru_chou
you keep saying it is wrong but then adding bits like that which makes you sound proud of what happened.

Its wrong for one country to take over another, but the fact that this island managed to run the world........well that makes me so proud, just imagine how hard it must have been to do, it shows how intelligent our people are when we put our heads together. When I think of the British empire I feel so much pride for our people.
LC01
Its wrong for one country to take over another, but the fact that this island managed to run the world........well that makes me so proud, just imagine how hard it must have been to do, it shows how intelligent our people are when we put our heads together. When I think of the British empire I feel so much pride for our people.

If you feel proud of the actual empire, how can you disagree with how the empire was made and the fact it even existed? You really need to stop contradicting yourself.
Reply 65
juueru_chou
If you feel proud of the actual empire, how can you disagree with how the empire was made and the fact it even existed? You really need to stop contradicting yourself.

I am not contradicting myself, I feel proud that our people were able to build the empire, but I agree with you that it was wrong to do it. You need to stop accusing me of contradicting myself, I have not done it once.
psychic_satori
Native Americans were nomadic peoples, and, as such, they did not understand the concept of land ownership. They never considered it "their land."

Just thought I'd point that out. You may now go on digging your own grave.

Thats not true. They had territories like any other people - the different indian groups (poorly spelt am sure but the sioux, cheyenne, apache etc etc) did not share territory, and certainly had areas in which tresspass was punishable by death.
They didnt have land ownership by european standards no.
[it should be noted that neither did the semi-nomadic palestinian people in the 19th century]
LC01
I am not contradicting myself, I feel proud that our people were able to build the empire, but I agree with you that it was wrong to do it. You need to stop accusing me of contradicting myself, I have not done it once.

so you are ashamed of what our ancestors did then, since you think it was wrong?
LC01
Strange how they fought the european invaders then.

they didn't at first, until we started putting up fences, and fierceley defending what to them was common land, and common fresh water supplies
After all, no one bothers about a person walking through hyde park. but everyone would be peeved if someone fenced off a load of hyde park and shouted at anyone who came in 'THEIR area'
LC01

So you are proud that we invaded so many countries, but don't think it was right to do so.
:rolleyes:
We brought alot to India, something most Indians recognise. Likewise immigrants have brought alot to Britain. It is due to immigrants that we so successfully recovered post-wars.
LC01

But it wasn't just us brits that did it. we didn't grab all in one go. many of the colonies were well established outposts. We owe alot to our colonies. Both militarily, and socially.
LC01

Why are you proud of someone else's achievements. We are individuals not part of a collective. Be proud of your achievements not a collectives, especially one of which you were not a member of.
Reply 72
objectivism
Why are you proud of someone else's achievements. We are individuals not part of a collective. Be proud of your achievements not a collectives, especially one of which you were not a member of.

I think I will be proud of my people and my history if its all the same to you.
Reply 73
juueru_chou
so you are ashamed of what our ancestors did then, since you think it was wrong?

I am not ashamed.
Reply 74
LC01
I am not ashamed.

would you like a (very long) ladder or a spade?
LC01
I think I will be proud of my people and my history if its all the same to you.

You can be proud of what you want by all means, but im merely questioning your fundamental 'reasoning'. Also what about those many gay people who were also Britih but made Britian great. Are you proud of them after all they are part of British history and since you want to base it on a collective not individuals this seems apt for you. It shows how contradictory your beliefs are, most racists condemn gays yet will praise their achivemts. This shows how flawed your collectivist mindset is, you cant have it both ways.
foolfarian
Thats not true. They had territories like any other people - the different indian groups (poorly spelt am sure but the sioux, cheyenne, apache etc etc) did not share territory, and certainly had areas in which tresspass was punishable by death.
They didnt have land ownership by european standards no.
[it should be noted that neither did the semi-nomadic palestinian people in the 19th century]

The territory was generalized, and on the basis of where they were living at the time. The territories were not permanent, nor did they have specific boundaries. If anything, the defense of their territory was more along the lines of squatter's rights than anything based upon having put down roots in an area.
objectivism
You can be proud of what you want by all means, but im merely questioning your fundamental 'reasoning'. Also what about those many gay people who were also Britih but made Britian great. Are you proud of them after all they are part of British history and since you want to base it on a collective not individuals this seems apt for you. It shows how contradictory your beliefs are, most racists condemn gays yet will praise their achivemts. This shows how flawed your collectivist mindset is, you cant have it both ways.

Mmmm, Alan Turing for instance...
LC01
I am not ashamed.

Let me get this straight, you are proud of the past people of Britain for going into over people's countries and forcing them to be colonies of us, since you say it is a great achievement, yet you believe that it was wrong them to do so. How can you have pride in something you feel is wrong, it makes no sense at all.
Reply 79
juueru_chou
Let me get this straight, you are proud of the past people of Britain for going into over people's countries and forcing them to be colonies of us, since you say it is a great achievement, yet you believe that it was wrong them to do so. How can you have pride in something you feel is wrong, it makes no sense at all.

Let me explain for the 3rd time.Of course it was wrong do it, everyone should rule there own land. I am proud that the British people managed to actually do it, it must have been very difficult, it shows what we are made of. This little island managed that. Do you understand yet or do I have to explain to you a 4th time. It makes it makes perfect sense, it was a great achievement of the British people but was moraly wrong.
it makes no sense at all

To YOU it makes no sense, anyone with a good brain and an unbiased opinion of me and the BNP would not make such a statement.

Latest

Trending

Trending