The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Fairy Tail

Spoiler

Ah I enjoyed this! Sure its not the most original thing in the world and is extremely shallow, but its damned entertaining and that makes me happy :h: Its been forever since I've read these chapters so was nice to remember how the series got started. This episode sets up the world nicely; laying the groundwork regarding Guilds and different types of mages (or wizards according to the subs :rolleyes:). There was a fair bit of action too, although Natsu's fighting style is more beat the crap out of the opponent until they no longer get up, so nothing too fancy :p: Still I liked the way they portrayed magic use, especially Natsu's fire magic.....although Lucy using her Gate magic came across as a bit Mahou-shoujo :mmm: As this just an introductory episode nothing much of note actually happens - I'm expecting more from episode two when Lucy, Natsu and Happy get to the Fairy Tail Guild HQ and meet more of the other mages :yep:

The animation was fairly decent - still adjusting to the changes in character design......the characters all look a fair bit younger than they do in the manga, but I expect I'll get over that quite quickly. The animation is fairly simple, but works well and the action scenes were pretty cool (which is good since 80% of this series consists of action scenes! :laugh:). The OP animation is fairly typical of the genre as is the accompanying J-Rock music - decent enough though. ED was a bit on the childish side with the chibis and sugary J-Pop song, shall probably skip over that in future. Really liked the BGM though - its got a kind of celtic theme going on with fiddles and stuff, really fun to listen to.

The voice acting is pretty good! Tetsuya Kakihara is excellent as Natsu - more or less stuck on GAR!Simon mode and Rie Kugimiya is great as Happy (Aye!)........still adjusting to Ayo Hirano's squeakiness as Lucy, hope she tones it back a bit soon - she's a bit too 'genki-girl' Haruhi and then sped up some more at the moment :s-smilie:

So yeah, a solid first episode and good as far as intro eps go - looking forward to more :woo:
I just finished watching the first episode of Fairy Tale myself. Not sure what to make of it based on just the one episode, all we really got was an introduction to the world and three main characters. As much as I want to give a shounen series a go, for now I'll put this on my reserve list. This season is throwing a lot of 'good, but not great' series out, and it's making it difficult for me to decide which ones I actually want to watch. :s: It'll be much easier once the last series of the season has aired (Winter Sonata, I believe).
Reply 182
AngryJellyfish
I just finished watching the first episode of Fairy Tale myself. Not sure what to make of it based on just the one episode, all we really got was an introduction to the world and three main characters. As much as I want to give a shounen series a go, for now I'll put this on my reserve list. This season is throwing a lot of 'good, but not great' series out, and it's making it difficult for me to decide which ones I actually want to watch. :s: It'll be much easier once the last series of the season has aired (Winter Sonata, I believe).

dont lie :mad:

:eek: the queens blade OP has nipples!:eek2: *just saw it this very second*
Just watched the first episode of Sasameki Koto (the second is apparently airing right now, good timing really). :biggrin: That's another one going on my watching list, taking the place freed up by GA which finished earlier. :yes:
Reply 184
watched first eps of Nyankoi and kampfer :erm: the first was quite amusing but the second less so :s:
Reply 185
I find the awfulness of Kampfer hilarious - Nyan Koi is pretty decent though :yes:

Watched 2nd ep of 11eyes, will probably keep it on
Reply 186
I try to avoid the cliched high school setting that always seems to turn into a harem :rolleyes:
Reply 187
Kuuchuu Buranko (Trapeze)

Spoiler

Ah watching this made for a refreshing change - highly original and really interesting to watch; Trapeze really is something different in a season of fairly generic shows. Its not going to be to everyone's taste I know that for certain - some may find its subject matter and visual style very pretentious and off putting, however I found it very much to my taste :yes: The plot is very straightforward; each episode will deal with a different patient with a different mental health problem and Dr Irabu will 'cure' them. Doesn't sound exciting, but in this show its the style and not the content that is most important. Dr Irabu is very eccentric and has three different appearences (each voiced by a different seiyuu) which are all interchanged without any warning, making a pretty standard script more interesting.

The visuals are main draw of the show though, there is a fantastic range of odd animation techniques and surreal artstyles on display - the live action is blended well with the animation, its obvious but not off-putting in the slightest. So many brightly coloured patterns make even mundane objects like microwaves and portaloos look funky and interesting - plenty of eyecandy here. Character designs are more on the realistic side of the spectrum (with the exception of Dr Irabu himself) which allows the live action actors to be worked in well.

Music is also worth mentioning - really good OP & ED and the BGM is pretty good too. Voice acting is also of a high standard. I shall definately be keeping this series on - its delivered exactly what I hoped it would :yes:
Strangely enough, I'll be picking up Trapeze as well. :p:

I'm beginning to wonder if Kaidan Restaurant will get subbed though, it's been out a few days now and so far there's still no mention of any groups for it on the fansub wiki. :s: I'm guessing the whole 'kids show' thing is putting off most groups, and for all I know it might be really basic and not appeal to an older audience at all, but I like horror and the promo art/trailer animation appeal to me. I'll give it a week, if nobody subs the first ep by then I'll pick up something else instead. And if it gets subbed later than that, I'll just wait for it to finish airing and watch it as a complete series. :yes:
Reply 189
I'm really surprised that no one has subbed Aoi Bungaku yet as well.........its Madhouse with fantastic character designers and interesting novels FFS!
caraniel
I'm really surprised that no one has subbed Aoi Bungaku yet as well.........its Madhouse with fantastic character designers and interesting novels FFS!

Himitsu are subbing it, according to their site it's at the timing stage. :yes:
Reply 191
Oh god........Himitsu have to be the slowest group after Live-Evil :s-smilie:
Reply 192
caraniel

as mentioned earlier all that "moe" **** always gets subbed quickly :yawn:
Himitsu seem to be keeping up with their other project from this season (Nyan Koi). 2 days behind gg, but not every group can be as fast as them. :p:

vin
as mentioned earlier all that "moe" **** always gets subbed quickly :yawn:

And as I responded, not necessarily. Anyamaru Tantei Kiruminzoo WHERE? :frown:
Reply 194
Aoi Bungaku (Blue Literature)

Spoiler

And I think I have found my new favourite show for the season - and also the show I fear will suffer from inconsistent subbing just like Mouryou no Hako and Souten Kouro before it :s-smilie: Aoi Bungaku falls into the same category as those two shows; being Madhouse, mature in tone (no teenage stupidity here!) and filled with interesting dialogue and direction choices - I really, really liked this 1st episode. Without doubt it has the best character design and direction of any of the 1st episodes I've seen this season and it also has the most interesting plot IMO.......its kind of vaugely like Kurozuka, but without the mad action scenes :laugh: I'm intrigued by how this series will pan out - being a set of short stories with different character designers and directors for each segment is unusual for a TV series - Madhouse always do something a bit different :yes:

The animation is in the same vein as Death Note, Kurozuka and Mouryou no Hako - lots of dark colours with strong splashes of red and yellow; very stiking art. Character designer for this segment is Takeshi Obata (of Death Note fame) and definately has that signature style - really works well with the subject matter. No cheap fanservice either, everything is handled with maturity and nothing feels superfluvious in the direction at all - its a very attractive episode.

There was no OP and the ED is a very nice ballad - the BGM was excellent, really enhancing melancholic atmostphere. Voice acting was excellent - really nice to hear Romi Paku voicing a mature (non psychotic) woman for a change :yes:

So yeah, Aoi Bungaku is probably my favourite 1st episode this season - it just about edges out Trapeze!
TBH, if none of the three groups now committed to subbing Aoi Bungaku can release the episodes within at least a week or two of them airing, I'd be surprised. :s:
caraniel
Aoi Bungaku stuff

This completely went past my radar, thanks for posting this Cara. I'll check it out. :smile:
Reply 197
AsakuraMinamiFan
This completely went past my radar, thanks for posting this Cara. I'll check it out. :smile:

It was confirmed for this season quite late on - I nearly missed it too (actually did skip it originally, Vin pointed it out to me after the thread had been posted :redface:)

Great 1st episode - 2nd has already aired, so now have to wait for subs :sigh:
Reply 198
caraniel
It was confirmed for this season quite late on - I nearly missed it too (actually did skip it originally, Vin pointed it out to me after the thread had been posted :redface:)

Great 1st episode - 2nd has already aired, so now have to wait for subs :sigh:

:proud:I was helpful.
Just watched the proper first episode of Winter Sonata (as opposed to 'episode 0', set after the main series). I'm glad I did, as ep 0 didn't bother with character introduction, background or anything and just left me feeling confused. Ep 1, on the other hand, was terrific. In the length of a normal episode it somehow managed to fit in a lot, yet at the same time it felt slow paced (though maybe that was just due to the awful lagging :p:). I really like the characters, the music and the animation. So that's a definite keep! :yes:

One thing I'm not sure about though - does episode 0 count as episode 1 on A-P? If so that's going to be confusing...

Latest