The Student Room Group

Summer 2023 Anime Preview

Time for another anime season! This Summer's lineup is quite a bit smaller than the last few, and at first glance, very few of the series caught my interest. Hopefully some will win me over with their trailers and synopses, all of which you can find (along with my first impressions) in the tags below!

(These series are *mostly* due to start airing in the first few weeks of July. If you're looking for something to watch between now and then, maybe check last season's preview thread for some ideas!)

-

AI no Idenshi

Ayaka

BanG Dream! It`s MyGo!!!!!

Basta rd!! Ankoku no Hakaishin Season 2

Bleach: Sennen Kessen-hen - Ketsubetsu-tan

Bungou Stray Dogs 5th Season

Cardfight!! Vanguard: will+Dress Season 3

Dark Gathering

Dekiru Neko wa Kyou mo Yuuutsu

Eiyuu Kyoushitsu

Genjitsu no Yohane: Sunshine in the Mirror

Hanma Baki: Son of Ogre 2nd Season

Hataraku Maou-sama!! 2nd Season

Helck

Higeki no Genkyou to Naru Saikyou Gedou Last Boss Joou wa Tami no Tame ni Tsukushimasu.

Horimiya: Piece

Jidou Hanbaiki ni Umarekawatta Ore wa Meikyuu wo Samayou

Jitsu wa Ore, Saikyou deshita?

Jujutsu Kaisen 2nd Season

Kanojo, Okarishimasu 3rd Season

Level 1 dakedo Unique Skill de Saikyou desu

(edited 10 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Liar Liar

Lv1 Maou to One Room Yuusha

Masamune-kun no Revenge R

Mononogatari 2nd Season

Mushoku Tensei II: Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu

Nanatsu no Maken ga Shihai suru

Okashi na Tensei

Rurouni Kenshin: Meiji Kenkaku Romantan (2023)

Ryza no Atelier: Tokoyami no Joou to Himitsu no Kakurega

Seija Musou: Salaryman, Isekai de Ikinokoru Tame ni Ayumu Michi

Shadowverse Flame: Seven Shadows-hen

Shinigami Bocchan to Kuro Maid 2nd Season

Shiro Seijo to Kuro Bokushi

Spy Kyoushitsu 2nd Season

Sugar Apple Fairy Tale Part 2

Suki na Ko ga Megane wo Wasureta

Synduality: Noir

Temple

Uchi no Kaisha no Chiisai Senpai no Hanashi

Undead Girl Murder Farce

Watashi no Shiawase na Kekkon

Yumemiru Danshi wa Genjitsushugisha

Zom 100: Zombie ni Naru made ni Shitai 100 no Koto

-

All the info has been sourced from AniChart, AniDB, YouTube and MAL. If you think I've missed any upcoming full-length TV anime off this list, let me know and I'll look into them. :smile:n
(edited 9 months ago)
Picked up:

Ayaka

Mononogatari S2

Watashi no Shiawase na Kekkon

Jujutsu Kaisen S2

Undead Girl Murder Farce

Nanatsu no Maken ga Shihai suru

AI no Idenshi

Zom 100: Zombie ni Naru made ni Shitai 100 no Koto

Shinigami Bocchan to Kuro Maid S2

Liar Liar

Dark Gathering

Synduality: Noir

Bungou Stray Dogs S5

Spy Kyoushitsu S2

Helck

Dropped:

Suki na Ko ga Megane wo Wasureta

Ryza no Atelier: Tokoyami no Joou to Himitsu no Kakurega
(edited 9 months ago)
Updated trailer for Temple / TenPuru with the Crunchyroll subtitled one:

I am here to support you and to give a reminder: Go, AJ! AJ go, go!

Otherwise you may forget that I look around sometimes.
Original post by Kallisto
I am here to support you and to give a reminder: Go, AJ! AJ go, go!

Otherwise you may forget that I look around sometimes.

Thank you for your continued support! :biggrin: Does anything in this list catch your interest?
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Thank you for your continued support! :biggrin: Does anything in this list catch your interest?

Honestly, I have not look at the animes so far. Just replied here to show you that you don't do this for nothing.
Honestly, I have not look at the animes so far. Just replied here to show you that you don't do this for nothing.

That means a lot to me. :five:
That means a lot to me. :five:

Can you name some good summer animes with a good and unexpectable twist in the plot or are you not deep enough into the episodes to help me?
Can you name some good summer animes with a good and unexpectable twist in the plot or are you not deep enough into the episodes to help me?

They start airing this weekend, so I don't know which ones will have unexpected twists yet, only brief plot summaries and a short trailer! Out of the Spring anime that just finished though, Tengoku Daimakyou and My Home Hero spring to mind. :yep:
They start airing this weekend, so I don't know which ones will have unexpected twists yet, only brief plot summaries and a short trailer! Out of the Spring anime that just finished though, Tengoku Daimakyou and My Home Hero spring to mind. :yep:

Maybe it is better to let you watching and to ask you later when you have done your list.
Summer Season Start!

Ayaka

After a volcano erupts in the Ayaka island chain, five year old Yanagi Yukito is among those evacuated, but his father passes away. He spends the next few years in foster care on the mainland, where he forgets his past. Just before reaching high school age, he receives a letter from a friend of his father, inviting him back to the islands... and before long, a weird individual shows up, stuffs him inside a magic bag, and takes him there! It doesn't take long for Yukito to learn that the islands are inhabited by supernatural creatures, some harmless, some deadly - and that this might be linked to his own strange water-related powers.

Decent intro for an anime-original project; nothing overly original plot-wise, but it did a good job setting the scene, and the character interactions were great. :biggrin: Animation seems decent, though it's the BGM that stands out most for me, very pretty. Nice theme music by angela, too! I'll definitely be keeping this one on.

Official Crunchyroll link: https://www.crunchyroll.com/series/GXJHM3GQ7/ayaka
(edited 9 months ago)
Ryza no Atelier: Tokoyami no Joou to Himitsu no Kakurega (Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness & the Secret Hideout)

Ryza lives on a farm with her parents, but is bored of this life, and dreams of adventure. However, she has already explored every corner of her island, and tradition forbids anyone from leaving. When she hears word of a foreign merchant setting up shop on the island, Ryza sees a chance to escape while everyone else is distracted! Roping in two friends, her party 'borrows' a small boat and reaches the mainland... where they soon run into problems with local monsters due to lack of supplies and training. Fortunately, they are saved by an alchemist and his bodyguard, before being reprimanded and sent home. Now, Ryza has a new goal: to learn more about alchemy from her new acquaintance.

This had a double-length first ep, allowing it to introduce the setting and characters while maintaining a slow pace. Despite there being RPG-style monster fights and mild peril, it was very relaxing... perhaps too lacking in action for me. Animation was okay, though the 'camera' noticeably focused a lot on Ryza's thighs (apparently they're part of the reason the character and game are so popular)? One for the maybe list.

Official Crunchyroll link: https://www.crunchyroll.com/series/GEXH3W2Z5/atelier-ryza-ever-darkness--the-secret-hideout-the-animation
(edited 9 months ago)
@AngryJellyfish

Does some transformation animes come out this summer? characters who turn into superheroes and fighting the evil, you know. Just curious, whether these animes are already outdated.
@AngryJellyfish

Does some transformation animes come out this summer? characters who turn into superheroes and fighting the evil, you know. Just curious, whether these animes are already outdated.

I don't think there are any this season that quite fit that style; definitely lots of characters with supernatural or magical powers fighting villains, but with no real transformations or hidden identities.
I don't think there are any this season that quite fit that style; definitely lots of characters with supernatural or magical powers fighting villains, but with no real transformations or hidden identities.

Not even with robots? I know someone who may interest in to know... sorry, if I tagged you in vein!

@quasa
Not even with robots? I know someone who may interest in to know... sorry, if I tagged you in vein!

@quasa

The season's only mech series is Synduality Noir, but they don't seem to transform. Speaking of which, looks like there's an English subtitled trailer for that series now, I'll add it to the first post!

First sequel of the season - as usual, I'll keep my thoughts on these short compared with the all-new anime.

Mononogatari S2 (Malevolent Spirits: Mononogatari S2)

Nice reintroduction to the series, with the first half focusing on short stories from Botan and Hyoma's pasts, giving us a little more character background. The second half focused on a festival parade in the present - Hyoma is assigned to provide security, and soon has to leap into action once a tsukumogami goes rogue. Not the highest budget series, but enjoyable. :smile:

Official Crunchyroll link: https://www.crunchyroll.com/series/GDKHZEPW1/malevolent-spirits-mononogatari
Suki na Ko ga Megane wo Wasureta (The Girl I Like Forgot Her Glasses)

Following a class reshuffle, main character Komura ends up sat next to a girl named Mie Ai, and quickly falls in love with her. However, he is too shy to speak to her. One day, Mie shows up to school without her glasses, clearly struggling to see... and so, she pulls her table right up next to Komura, and shares his textbook. This gives him the chance he has always wanted to hold a conversation with her. That evening, Komura wishes upon a star that his crush might forget her glasses again so that he can relive the experience... and sure enough, she turns up at school without them again, this time having stood on and broken them!

Slow, awkward highschool romance. Cute, but not really my thing. And it normally wouldn't stand out in any way, except this is being animated by GoHands, and my word, the animation style is WEIRD at times. The first three minutes genuinely gave me motion sickness with the bizarre camera angles, swooping movements and odd perspectives. Maybe it's just me though, plenty of other people seem to be loving the animation!

Official Crunchyroll link: https://www.crunchyroll.com/series/GNVHKN9DE/the-girl-i-like-forgot-her-glasses
(edited 9 months ago)
Watashi no Shiawase na Kekkon (My Happy Marriage)

After losing her mother at a young age, Saimori Miyo's happy childhood comes to an abrupt end. Her father remarries, but her jealous stepmother has her treated like a servant, and her spoiled half sister bullies her. Now a young adult, she has a lover, who wants to do something to help her situation - but in the Taisho era, heads of families are the ones who arrange marriage partners, and this man is instead betrothed to her sister. Shortly after hearing this, Miyo is sent away from her home with only a new kimono and change of clothes, to marry Kudou Kiyoka, a man she has never met... a man who has a reputation for being cruel, and scaring off previous bridal candidates.

Netflix finally learned how to simulcast series weekly, with no delays! This does have some potential - I love the Taisho era setting, I'm curious to know what Kudou Kiyoka's deal is, and apparently there's a whole supernatural element that didn't feature at all in this first ep. But it was a bit slow and depressing, plus romance isn't really my genre. Provisionally picked up, I'll give it another episode or two.

Official Netflix link: https://www.netflix.com/title/81564905
(edited 9 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest