The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
narc0t1c
i found it prety easy
i think the answer for the 8th question about hte fulllerence stuff is that it has a lower melting point then diamod
bcause it is a mollecuel and would have weaker forcesse between the molllecuels so a lower m.p

I found the exam itself okay, but made some silly mistakes - and I got the Buckminister....... one wrong too :frown: Does anyone know what the exam was out of and the grade boundaries?
I thought it was ok actually, although there were somethings that I just wasn't sure. What was the answer to the saftey hazard of plant manufacturing ammonia?? Plus the formula for sodium and chlorine ions, was it Na+ and Cl- ?

By the way it was out of 90. The grade bounaries change every year but typically 50% = 6, 60% = B , 70% = A.
Reply 3
There were a lot of answers you couldve given for the plant question I think. I put that it's done at 200pa and there's a risk of an explosion, some ppl wrote that it uses hydrogen which is explosive. You can put quite a lot.
Reply 4
yeh I put the Atmos pressure in a round about, over the hill way- I thought the exam went well. Only got one exam left now .. physics ^_^!
Reply 5
I think I got the Buckminsterfullerene one wrong, but it did say which would you expect and why, so maybe even if you got the answer wrong but justified it you might get maybe a mark or so. That was a really random Q. For the danger, I put that Ammonia is poisonous if inhaled, which I just guessed but having looked on the internet it seems to be right! I got Na+ and Cl- too, as did our class boffin. So I guess that was okay. I had been expecting the exam to be MUCH harder than that, so it was a nice surprise :smile:
Guys what did you get for the last calculation? I got 8.5 tonnes?
Reply 7
yup right
Reply 8
Is calcium silicate slag? I'm an idiot for not revising blast furnace before the exam. All my mates had. For the last question on salts, what did people put down?
Ammonium nitrate
Reply 10
Mirageperhaps
I thought it was ok actually, although there were somethings that I just wasn't sure. What was the answer to the saftey hazard of plant manufacturing ammonia?? Plus the formula for sodium and chlorine ions, was it Na+ and Cl- ?

By the way it was out of 90. The grade bounaries change every year but typically 50% = 6, 60% = B , 70% = A.

So approx marks are:

A*= 72/90
A= 63/90
B= 54/90
C= 45/90
D= 36/90

I still got to do the Extension paper, though.
Reply 11
Wow, if 72/90 was an A* then I have one for cert :tongue:, although I still have the extension paper, plus my coursework was poor.

As for the paper itself, I found it quite easy. For buckminsterfullerene question I put that the carbon bonds were all connected (compared to diamond) to other things. Also the structure is such that there is not a very high inter-molecular force as there is a huge space. Plus it is not an indefinate structure so one bond breaking could cause the structure to fall apart.

I made a stupid mistake, swapping bute for prop (3 and 4) Ack, must have lost 5 marks from that alone! Not to mention that I stupidly put down that the Br- ions would bond covalently with each other, when in fact they just lose an electron :frown:. I predict around 78-83 on that paper out of 90.
I did not have a clue about that buckminsterfullerene thing. We never did any work on that in our lessons. The only stuff i found particularly easy were the questions on rocks and the blast furnace. I am generally crap at Science, and will be lucky if I get a C.
Reply 13
Last year to get a B was 56%....we cant really predict what the grade boundaries are because it is decided after the exams. They see how the overal population did. For instance if everyone did bad in science then obviously they would lower the grade boundaries..

LETS just hope everybody does bad :tongue:.....OOOOooonly kidding.
Reply 14
Many people don't know about the buckminsterfullerene one. You are meant to infer a correct answer by looking at the clues given to you. In this one it was the diagram, the fact that diamond had an indefinate structure was a big clue.
Reply 15
What was the question on bromine ions about? what was the question itself, i think i misread it.
Reply 16
How do Brr- Ions form Bromine atoms.
Reply 17
the buckminster crap.. it said how is it similar to diamond

they both have high melting points due to a strong covalent bond througout structure, each carbon bonded to 4 other carbon atoms in diamond and 5 other cardon atoms in the buckminster (sp?) seeing as how it doesnt have layers like graphite, its as strong as diamond so therefore it also has a high melting point.
It didn't say how it was similar.. it asked how their melting/boiling points would compare I think.
Reply 19
ohh, i think i got the buckfullerene and br. qusetion. wrong :frown:

Latest