The Student Room Group

Boris Johnson planning £15m monument to rival Statue of Liberty and the Eiffel Tower

Article.
Non-DM Article.

He vowed to crack down on tall buildings and protect London's 'precious' skyline in his mayoral manifesto.

But when it comes to sealing his legacy, it seems Boris Johnson is prepared to make an exception.

The London Mayor is planning a £15million monument intended to rival the Eiffel Tower to mark his term in office.

Funded by the steel magnate Lakshmi Mittal, Britain’s richest man, the sculpture has attracted designs from some of the country's most famous artists, including former Turner prize winner Anish Kapoor and Antony Gormley, the designer of the Angel of the North.

A panel is currently considering five submitted designs, with the winner likely to be announced in the next fortnight.

So far there are no inverted pyramids among them, however one early submission by Paul Fryer shows the monumental scale of the project.

Six times taller than the Angel of the North, near Gateshead, his proposed sculpture, called Transmission, is 400ft tall and features a translucent structure with viewing decks towering above the Olympic Park. Its steel frame is inspired by a pylon perhaps in a nod to Mittal’s business, which has earned his family a £10.8 billion fortune.

It would be lit at night and powered by solar panels.

Johnson's monument is part of an extensive cultural programme planned to celebrate the 2012 Olympics.

Twelve public artworks commissioned by the Cultural Olympiad last week to celebrate the Games include a giant figure of Lady Godiva, which will be led in procession from Coventry to London, a three-mile tower of vapour rising from a dock in Liverpool, a pair of 30ft crocheted lions and a tiny island that will be tugged from the Arctic to England to provoke discussion about climate change.

I really do hope this isn't going to be some metal, 'modern' monstrosity. I have a bad feeling it will be, however.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Aeterna
Article.
Non-DM Article.

I really do hope this isn't going to be some metal, 'modern' monstrosity. I have a bad feeling it will be, however.

I think its an immense idea! I dislike the Tories but I like Boris and this is good, as is his brilliant Heathrow-on-Sea idea :biggrin:
Reply 2
Laughable ideas from a laughable individual.
Reply 3
iwilson03
I think its an immense idea! I dislike the Tories but I like Boris and this is good, as is his brilliant Heathrow-on-Sea idea :biggrin:

Until you realise that shedloads of money has already been spent building the rather lovely Terminal 5.
Reply 4
Leila_

Why?
looks like a giant electricity mast
Reply 6
cactussed
Until you realise that shedloads of money has already been spent building the rather lovely Terminal 5.

Yeah but we need more room for planes, Terminal 5 was simply to cut down on Heathrow congestion. Gatwick and Stanstead both want new terminals - it would be more efficient and fun to simply plonk a big new airport in the sea!
Great, we need a giant red pylon...

I like the premise, but it looks crap.
Bear in mind, however, that the French hated both the Eiffel Tower AND the pyramids at the Louvre when they were first built, then they both became popular later on...
It looks Chinese.
Reply 11
Oh, Boris, Boris, Boris...

What are you thinking old boy? It's crap. It doesn't rival anything; it doesn't look particularly nice and it doesn't have any meaning behind it. You said you'd protect the skyline, chum - now I appreciate there's leeway where monuments and things are concerned, but really, this?

Still, I'd like to see some of the other designs that are being considered: presumably the newspapers picked the most controversial to show.

I also find it amusing that they pulled Brian Sewell out from his cave to give a remark. I wonder if the journalist who recorded it managed to keep a straight face as he or she was pontificated to by the biggest ponce in England.

Leila_

She said, with no sense of irony.
Christian_j
Great, we need a giant red pylon...

I like the premise, but it looks crap.

I think it looks good, not just another grey/silver construction. Although I would have thought BoJo would favour a nice shade of blue.

By the way that 'keep calm and carry on' poster on your sig is brilliant, I have a copy of it posted to my door :biggrin:
Reply 13
Christian_j
Bear in mind, however, that the French hated both the Eiffel Tower AND the pyramids at the Louvre when they were first built, then they both became popular later on...

Yes, there are plenty examples of that closer to home too - so often architecture of the immediately preceding generation is despised, only for style to be seen in it later.

That said, I'm not sure the pyramids at the Louvre actually are popular even today...
What is it exactly? Whats the point in it? Why does it look so darned Eastern?
Reply 15
good idea, but it looks crap. I honestly don't get what it's meant to be, a giant lightning rod perhaps?
Actually does it remind anyone of something from 'Command and Conquer'?
iwilson03

By the way that 'keep calm and carry on' poster on your sig is brilliant, I have a copy of it posted to my door :biggrin:

I know it's a bit cliché these days, but I really do love it :biggrin:
Reply 18

And there, I thought we already had one.
The Eiffel Tower and the Statue of Liberty were great because they demonstrated enormous feats of engineering. This doesn't push the boundaries or excite the imagination. This is peanuts compared to the feats modern engineering is capable of.

Latest

Trending

Trending