The Student Room Group

Desire for net zero referendum growing among public, poll finds

In my experience the climate brigade seem to think they are entitled to dictate to the rest of us what we should do to "save the planet". We are of course told it's for our own good.

But I say if they want us to change our lifestyle, to give up meat, to sit in the dark, or to be told "You can't get on a plane" as Stanley Johnson recently said would be part of a national plan, then I think the rest of us should have a say in that.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/11/26/desire-net-zero-referendum-growing-among-public-poll-finds/

Scroll to see replies

Link is behind a paywall.
Reply 2
Original post by Megacent
In my experience the climate brigade seem to think they are entitled to dictate to the rest of us what we should do to "save the planet". We are of course told it's for our own good.

But I say if they want us to change our lifestyle, to give up meat, to sit in the dark, or to be told "You can't get on a plane" as Stanley Johnson recently said would be part of a national plan, then I think the rest of us should have a say in that.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/11/26/desire-net-zero-referendum-growing-among-public-poll-finds/

Most people don't want such a referendum.

Wonder if Scotland could hold its own....
Seems a bit of a stupid referendum idea.

Should we aim to reduce co2 emissions. Most people are going to vote yes to that but it’s totally meaningless.
Reply 4
A complete waste of time given few understand the import (or lack, depending on your views) of the science behind it and even fewer understand the ramifications of it. After all, leaving aside the spurious metrics thatre used willy nilly depending on your personal beliefs, its rather beyond questioning that to actually achieve this nominal net zero would entail a spectacular gut punch for the average citizens finances in the broadest possible way. Be it more expensive transport and energy (lets be frank, anyone who thinks ditching oil/gas/coal in total wouldn't cause energy to skyrocket is insane.. or clueless). This of course ignores the other costs be it terms of building new power generation, finding alternate sources of raw materials (i.e. plastics, fertalizers etc. etc. ) a laudable goal, if actually succintly spelled out with a real road map to it. Then again, governments all over the place have thrown arbitrary numbers into the public commons and hoped for the best (the more amusing targets being for little over a decade or so.. it aint gunna happen)

So it really boils down to this, in my book, does anyone seriously see the government advocating another pointless referenda with a decision that could happily go either way (those who dont want to be pauperised vs. those who wish to demolition the current system, come what may).

All that being said, it probably doesn't help anyones case that half of these goals rely on promises of future tech that is either not yet proven or still totally hypothetical. Would any of you bet your current standard of living on unproven (if theoretically pretty cool) technology to solve all of our problems? After all, that particular promise has been made for the past few decades over and over again.. and seeing as net zero invariably means ditching traditional fuels sharpish, those which power society, and there is no real way to replace them in the quantity required.. (the idea of a peaking solar plant being quite funny tbh) well, it doesnt sound an overly hard decision, at least for those who dont rely on their privilege to not pay the bills or simply dont understand much about the debate.

where does it say in government plans you can’t get on a plane or eat meat and instead we will all sit in the dark
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 6
Original post by yeet_21
where does it say in government plans you can’t get on a plane or eat meat and instead we will all sit in the dark

It's not officially listed in government plans. It's something Stanley Johnson said on GB News recently.

'If that means, actually, some of us are told, well you can't go on a plane, that's fine. That's part of the national plan.'
https://www.trendsmap.com/twitter/tweet/1591496186049036301

Now what "national plan" would that be exactly? He's said a bit too much there and let the cat out of the bag :biggrin:
It's not officially listed in government plans. It's something Stanley Johnson said on GB News recently.

'If that means, actually, some of us are told, well you can't go on a plane, that's fine. That's part of the national plan.'

Now what "national plan" would that be exactly? He's said a bit too much there and let the cat out of the bag :biggrin:

should we expect less Covid and more net zero, climate etc threads from you now
Original post by yeet_21

If we have learned one thing over the last 3 yrs it is whatever the government say they have no plans for or something will be highly unlikely then you can fairly certain it will happen.
Boris J at COP 25 in Glasgow said something that seemed to pass many by. He said to combat climate change we need to end the use of the three C's. Coal, Cars and Cash. Coal and Cars were obvious targets for that outcome but Cash?
Central Bank Digital Currency (the government now says they have no plans for) is being pushed for by the Bank of England and banking organisation's everywhere.
If and when that comes in, the control the government will have over your life will be complete and their ability to restrict your individual use of flights or meat or car miles or plastic products.
Nothing good ever comes out of referenda it simply doesn't work
Original post by Andrew97
Seems a bit of a stupid referendum idea.

Should we aim to reduce co2 emissions. Most people are going to vote yes to that but it’s totally meaningless.

It's seems like "mOrAl" justification exercise for illegal activities, to me.

how so?
Reply 12
Original post by vapordave
how so?

Well in my opinion climate change is being used as a way to control people. The WEF seem to want you to eat less meat, so in future you might be stopped from buying more than a certain amount of meat under the guise of stuff like carbon credits or sticking to your carbon allowance or whatever. They will make it sound like it's for the greater good, but really it's just about control.

I know there has been a rise in carbon emissions since the industrial revolution and that has led to higher temperatures. But in my opinion it's nowhere near as bad as some of the doom mongers are saying.
Reply 13
Well in my opinion climate change is being used as a way to control people. The WEF seem to want you to eat less meat, so in future you might be stopped from buying more than a certain amount of meat under the guise of stuff like carbon credits or sticking to your carbon allowance or whatever. They will make it sound like it's for the greater good, but really it's just about control.

I know there has been a rise in carbon emissions since the industrial revolution and that has led to higher temperatures. But in my opinion it's nowhere near as bad as some of the doom mongers are saying.

Why are you listening to the WEF?
Net Zero Referendum is a pre-planned operation run from the US, financed by big oil and coal interests. In the UK, it's controlled by the ERG and their proxies in the Telegraph. It has nothing whatever to do with public demand and there is nothing but fakery and twisting in it.
Reply 15
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Net Zero Referendum is a pre-planned operation run from the US, financed by big oil and coal interests. In the UK, it's controlled by the ERG and their proxies in the Telegraph. It has nothing whatever to do with public demand and there is nothing but fakery and twisting in it.

You are aware that this sounds more than a little like the twaddle put out by the 'there's no such thing as climate change, it's all 5G chips hiding in your masks' crowd right...? Albeit with the point reversed.
Original post by Napp
You are aware that this sounds more than a little like the twaddle put out by the 'there's no such thing as climate change, it's all 5G chips hiding in your masks' crowd right...? Albeit with the point reversed.

Must have just imagined the (Big Coal) Koch brothers funding Nigel Lawson's Global Warming Policy Foundation (GWPF) now known as Net Zero Watch then. Which of course (where else) is based at Tufton St, regularly frequented by the ERG and Farage.
https://www.onlynaturalenergy.com/exclusive-influential-uk-net-zero-sceptics-funded-by-us-oil-dark-money/
Reply 17
Must have just imagined the (Big Coal) Koch brothers funding Nigel Lawson's Global Warming Policy Foundation (GWPF) now known as Net Zero Watch then. Which of course (where else) is based at Tufton St, regularly frequented by the ERG and Farage.
https://www.onlynaturalenergy.com/exclusive-influential-uk-net-zero-sceptics-funded-by-us-oil-dark-money/

I had my grad scheme assessment centre and final selection board Tufton St. Been turned into 'luxury flats' now though mind.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 18

Last time i checked, none of that quite added up to a sinister world encompassing right wing cabal hell bent on burning the world to the ground - as you said.
In any event, the point stands whether the evil Kochs are funding the church of satan or the GWPF..
Despite being on the victorious side of the referendum, i consider most people to be far less informed and intelligent than myself and thus consider referenda to be horrifically awful ideas against my own self interest. I am not a fan.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending