The Student Room Group

Rishi Sunak working towards general election in 'second half of the year'

https://apple.news/Ac_7HDG92QE20RG2f61flfA
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-67883242.amp
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-67883767

He declined to rule out a May election categorically, but repeated his intention to go to the country later in the year.

"I want to keep going, managing the economy well and cutting people's taxes.

"But I also want to keep tackling illegal migration. I'm determined to keep delivering for the British people," the prime minister said.
Reply 1
Not really news.

A PM on course to lose will always try lengthen the stint. Further, Sunak is relatively risky adverse.

Sep 19th or Oct 24th has been my bet for some time, I don't see reason to change this.
Reply 2
If the Conservatives had any sense of patriotism, they’d call an election. Instead, they’ll allow the stagnation to continue.
Original post by Gazpacho.
If the Conservatives had any sense of patriotism, they’d call an election. Instead, they’ll allow the stagnation to continue.

I think that a election should have been called since the resignation of Boris Johnson.
Reply 4
Original post by Talkative Toad
I think that a election should have been called since the resignation of Boris Johnson.

The party selects the Prime Minister, not the electorate.
Original post by Rakas21
The party selects the Prime Minister, not the electorate.

I still believe that if a PM (willingly) resigns, a general election show be called I agree with Gazpacho except I think that a general election should have been called even earlier.

The conservatives should just call an election rather than delaying things and take the L (I’m not a fan on Kier Starmer and I find him to be useless but I want the conservatives out of government).
I was against an election when Johnson resigned because, as Rakas says, we don't elect the PM, and also because we'd had a string of relatively short parliaments. However we are now over 4 years since the last General Election, so a reasonable amount of time has passed , and it's clear that the public would like a change of governance. A spring election would be most appropriate I think, though Sunak may go for October so he can get 2 years in.
Original post by Smack
I was against an election when Johnson resigned because, as Rakas says, we don't elect the PM, and also because we'd had a string of relatively short parliaments. However we are now over 4 years since the last General Election, so a reasonable amount of time has passed , and it's clear that the public would like a change of governance. A spring election would be most appropriate I think, though Sunak may go for October so he can get 2 years in.

Yeah I think that an election should probably be called in the first half of the year rather than second
Reply 8
I would once again digress with those above, there is nothing that obligates the government to call an election before the Executive wishes (at least before December 2024).

Given that the May local elections are based upon the 2020 map and that polling is not especially fortunate, i don't think that they would wish to magnify local election losses by having increased turnout. I believe that Sep 19th or Oct 24th are better (thursday before the equinox and Halloween respectively - can't hold it on the 31st for obvious branding reasons). The added bonus of the 24th is that he would still be Prime Minister on the 25th which is the 2 year mark.

I tend to rule out January because he wants at least some control over the date and i don't think a turnout dependent government (current polling data suggests that low turnout will harm the Tories due to higher 2019 Tory DK rates) would want to risk poor weather. Even October risks that with dark evenings.

If i were Mr Sunak, i would go for a short 3 week campaign to force the question and prevent anybody else getting the wind in their sail but have the date at September 19th (so announce on say August Bank Holiday).
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by Rakas21
I would once again digress with those above, there is nothing that obligates the government to call an election before the Executive wishes (at least before December 2024).

Given that the May local elections are based upon the 2020 map and that polling is not especially fortunate, i don't think that they would wish to magnify local election losses by having increased turnout. I believe that Sep 19th or Oct 24th are better (thursday before the equinox and Halloween respectively - can't hold it on the 31st for obvious branding reasons). The added bonus of the 24th is that he would still be Prime Minister on the 25th which is the 2 year mark.

I tend to rule out January because he wants at least some control over the date and i don't think a turnout dependent government (current polling data suggests that low turnout will harm the Tories due to higher 2019 Tory DK rates) would want to risk poor weather. Even October risks that with dark evenings.

If i were Mr Sunak, i would go for a short 3 week campaign to force the question and prevent anybody else getting the wind in their sail but have the date at September 19th (so announce on say August Bank Holiday).

To add to the above point, a mechanism that forces a General Election after a PM resignation would also have some pretty poor implications. PMs would be much less likely to ever resign if they knew an election would be called, even if there are strong grounds for the resignation. Do you think Truss would've gone had it caused an election? And there can be reasonable non-political grounds for resignation too like health, a mechanism that creates a GE after a PM resignation would cause at least as many issues as it solves, if not more!

With respect to an election date, PMs never call an early election if they're down in the polls. September/October look to be a good bets given they've already cancelled the Tory party conference which normally takes place in the Autumn. They also won't want to leave it to November or later given they'd be forced into another fiscal event with potentially unfavorable forecast changes from the OBR and that the mixture of colder weather and the Conservative's older voter base is generally not a good mix. Also, people are just generally more downbeat when the weather gets miserable 😅
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by Rakas21

While I’m fully aware that the PM is under no obligation to call an election, we are now two PMs removed from 2019 and Johnson. The government has completely abandoned the platform it was voted into power on. It has no mandate. There is a democratic argument for an election.

Your arguments about not holding an election until autumn makes no mention of what is good or desirable for Britain. Your defence of Sunak’s current stance is presented as purely a damage limitation exercise for the party that results in British being stuck with a moribund government for another six months.

That Conservatives put party above country is precisely why the country wants rid of them.
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending