The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
DayneD89
Sorry, i hadnt read much of it. If its private money then i would agree with you that they should be able to do as they wish with it.

Not if it looks ridiculous they shouldn't.
Reply 41
Ewan
Not if it looks ridiculous they shouldn't.

What looks terrible to one person looks great to another.
ajp100688
That one is a statue of Mother Russia and a WW2 memorial in Volgograd/Stalingrad, I've no clue how big it is (although I seem to remember it being bigger than Canary Wharf) but I've always wanted to visit it, especially as Zaitsev and Chuikov's graves are in the same complex.

Lol

It's 85m tall
Reply 43
DayneD89
Sorry, i hadnt read much of it. If its private money then i would agree with you that they should be able to do as they wish with it.

Not when it's in the public interest, in such a monumental manner.
Reply 44
Aeterna
Not when it's in the public interest, in such a monumental manner.

I fail to see how it harms anyone. Of course if it does and thus is not in the public interest then the pros and cons would have to be looked at,
Reply 45
How about a plaque that reads "If you came here to see our new sculpture im afraid to dissapoint you, we did something sensible and spent the cash on our national health service"
Dave_McDougall
looks like a giant electricity mast

Did you bother to read the article? That was kinda the point...
Reply 47
So we're forgetting about the Olympic budget deficit then. I know it's only £15M.
Reply 48
It looks like something used to contact aliens
How on earth would that be a good idea? It has no meaning: HISTORICAL monuments do have some value, thinking about who constructed them and such. But I don't get how this is a good idea at all, really... and it's funded by Lakshmi Mittal, not even the British public (not that we'd be able to afford it). And maybe that's a good thing.
Reply 50
Profesh

And there, I thought we already had one.

This. In my view, it trumps the French and Americans. :cool:
Aeterna
Am I the only one who would be happy with something classical? In the style of:

Spoiler

Some people say we shouldn't look to the past and we should move on from all the classical art which is in our cities, yet I believe classical art is starting to become the extinct minority within this country, and it would be even more revolutionary (which seems to the the motivation for most public art designers) to create something classical.

For some reason I was really expecting a picture of the Parthenon!! :dontknow:

But I agree with you actually :smile:
Bloody hell, the Aztecs have come to central London!
Reply 53
Aeterna
Am I the only one who would be happy with something classical? In the style of:

Spoiler

Some people say we shouldn't look to the past and we should move on from all the classical art which is in our cities, yet I believe classical art is starting to become the extinct minority within this country, and it would be even more revolutionary (which seems to the the motivation for most public art designers) to create something classical.

I completely agree with this. But I really don't think that anyone nowadays has actual talent to design anything like that. I mean I could have designed that red tower and any 11 year old could design a boxy skyscraper - I could not, and I doubt if any modern architects or artists today could, design a Trevi fountain, or a Big Ben. It's just like Damien Hirst - he's widely celebrated but he cannot paint to save his life, yet he thinks his work is good enough to hang with the likes of Titian - hah! His work isn't fit for Titian or Rembrandt to wipe their bums with.

I do, however, think it is a great idea. It'd be great to see some new big statue, but I really hope that they pick something good. There are 5 designs they are choosing from and I hope it's a good one, that red pylon looks awful, like a kind of boring, bland totem-pole. I'm very happy that it is being funded by Lakshmi Mittal, at least the public aren't paying for it!
I don't mind the idea but I agree with another poster that it should be classical - it's an enduring style.

Failing that maybe a giant statue of the Queen or something :biggrin:
large purple phallus.

/
Only an arrogant egomaniac would want to build a 400ft monstrosity 'to seal their legacy'...
Reply 57
ajp100688
Thats only one of six proposed designs, I agree it's pretty ugly but I quite like Boris' idea, it ties right in with the legacy concept of our Olympics, will give the East End a tourist attraction other than Jack the Ripper and if it's architecturally good then it's win/win.

That's a good point actually, and indeed one of the reasons why we were so keen to put the Olympics in Stratford. As an aside I used to go drinking in one of the pubs that JtR did his murderous deeds behind.

As to the idea of the thing, if Boris has got any sense (which of course he hasn't), then he'd slap a minimum height planning consent requirement on it. There's no point building a socking great big tower if the Eiffel Tower out-does it in height... Also that pylon idea, well that sucks in so many ways, merely flattering the patron is not enough of a justification for its existence I'm afraid...
Oh for crying ouy loud. I don't know what is worse, the giant white fibre-glass horse that's going to be built in Kent or this.
Stomm
As to the idea of the thing, if Boris has got any sense (which of course he hasn't), then he'd slap a minimum height planning consent requirement on it. There's no point building a socking great big tower if the Eiffel Tower out-does it in height

Prepare to pay for it then - the Eiffel Tower is nearly three times taller than this.

Latest

Trending

Trending