The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Shamen
What a load of old cods-whollop... *blows raspberry* I can smell you manure on your breath, yuck!

Slight contradiction there...

No contradiction whatsoever. Yes, GCSEs are quite hard if you want to do exceptionally well but they're not difficult if you'll settle for moderatly good grades.

Other than that, I have nothing more to say to you on this topic. You can act as childish as you want but I have all I need from you. :smile:
Reply 141
Well, yeah... I mean this morning you were using such obscenities and acting like a complete fool who has lost touch with her emotional senses, and now you're telling us that we should stop arguing... I'm sorry I just don't buy your bull$hit!

I use obscenities when I am really, really pissed off. And I mean really pissed off. I'm sorry, in all honesty, I think it's a normal reaction when one gets annoyed. And, as much as you'll probably revel in my saying this, I hate you. You provoke me. I don't think I've ever spoken to someone who quite pisses me off, just as you do. Be proud. I hope you have a ****ing great life. There, I've said it. You absolutely piss me off to a point where I can do nothing but swear, rant and rave. And you know what, so what. I've had enough of it. And I've had enough of you. And there's no point picking this post apart, because I'm not arguing with you, I'm stating my truthful opinion.
Reply 142
amie
Clown? Thanks, I've always wanted to be funny.

Anyway, my point still stands. To some people, it is difficult to do reasonably well in them. I think its incredibly narrowminded of you to generalise like that.

And how can you back up your claim that 'Average Joes' can get A*s with little work?

OK, for the majority of people i.e. the Average Joes, it is not difficult to get moderately good grades.

I can back up the fact that Average Joes can get A*s:

In 2004, some candidates were rewarded with A*s in English Literature even though they couldn't use punctuation well and additionally, put "english litriture" at the top of their paper, even though it was there right in front of them.
Reply 143
I personally think that the person who created this thread is a sad geek, who doesnt have anything else to do, except creating such stupid meaningless threads!!!!!!!!hehe
Reply 144
zhivago
Stop being immature and get over it now, you're doing my head in and it's not even my argument.

Oh, right, now I'm immature... Ever since I called you immature earlier for starting a pointless batch of arguments and not finishing them, you've had this obsession with inflicting the word upon me... And if I'm doing your head in, don't respond to posts which I'm involved in, as it causes confrontation... In fact, I don't think you have the right to tell us to stop arguing because you've had enough of it... If you've really had enough, go offline and do something else which is productive, but it's not your place to tell us to stop debating...
Reply 145
it's not your place to tell us to stop debating

Of course it's not...but this isn't debating, this is full blown, girly screeching, eyes scrunched, cat fight bickering...

I personally think that the person who created this thread is a sad geek, who doesnt have anything else to do, except creating such stupid meaningless threads!!!!!!!!hehe

lol. IZZY! you crack me up. :wink: :p:
Reply 146
zhivago
I use obscenities when I am really, really pissed off. And I mean really pissed off. I'm sorry, in all honesty, I think it's a normal reaction when one gets annoyed. And, as much as you'll probably revel in my saying this, I hate you. You provoke me. I don't think I've ever spoken to someone who quite pisses me off, just as you do. Be proud. I hope you have a ****ing great life. There, I've said it. You absolutely piss me off to a point where I can do nothing but swear, rant and rave. And you know what, so what. I've had enough of it. And I've had enough of you.

Personally, I think it's quite sad that someone becomes so emotionally insecure over an online debate, I really do. :frown:

zhivago
And there's no point picking this post apart, because I'm not arguing with you, I'm stating my truthful opinion.

I don't really intend to, however it's a bit rich asking me not to react to a post which is directed to insult me... Thanks for your wishing me to have a good life, I'll try my best and hope to accomplish that. :smile:
Reply 147
zhivago
Of course it's not...but this isn't debating, this is full blown, girly screeching, eyes scrunched, cat fight bickering...

Online definition for debate:

1) Argument: a discussion in which reasons are advanced for and against some proposition or proposal; "the argument over foreign aid goes on and on"

2) Debate is a formalized system of (usually) logical argument. It is a rule-governed contest with two or more sides, usually presided by a judge. Each side is attempting to win the approval of a designated audience, such as a judge. <--- Not entirely true in this case, but close enough...

Online definition for catfight:

1) A catfight is a physical clash between two females who want to cause each other harm, usually with their bare hands. A catfight can also refer to a fight between two felines.

I think that waives your view on what this thread contains...
oilcan
I can back up the fact that Average Joes can get A*s:

In 2004, some candidates were rewarded with A*s in English Literature even though they couldn't use punctuation well and additionally, put "english litriture" at the top of their paper, even though it was there right in front of them.

Surely that proves that they're marking based on what matters in English Literature, then (analysis of literary technique and themes, for example), rather than the exams getting "easier"? Mark English Language in English Language. In other subjects, it matters little.

If the answer reached the A* standard in the syllabus for Lit, they deserve the A* whether they spelled it "English Literature", "Inglish Litteriture", or "Physics".
Reply 149
2 5 +
Surely that proves that they're marking based on what matters in English Literature, then (analysis of literary technique and themes, for example), rather than the exams getting "easier"? Mark English Language in English Language. In other subjects, it matters little.

If the answer reached the A* standard in the syllabus for Lit, they deserve the A* whether they spelled it "English Literature", "Inglish Litteriture", or "Physics".

Well said...
amie

Anyway, my point still stands. To some people, it is difficult to do reasonably well in them. I think its incredibly narrowminded of you to generalise like that.

I agree with you.

Let's not forget that the national average is just over 50% with regards to students achieving 5 or more A*-C grades.
Reply 151
Shamen
Online definition for debate:

1) Argument: a discussion in which reasons are advanced for and against some proposition or proposal; "the argument over foreign aid goes on and on"

2) Debate is a formalized system of (usually) logical argument. It is a rule-governed contest with two or more sides, usually presided by a judge. Each side is attempting to win the approval of a designated audience, such as a judge. <--- Not entirely true in this case, but close enough...

Online definition for catfight:

1) A catfight is a physical clash between two females who want to cause each other harm, usually with their bare hands. A catfight can also refer to a fight between two felines.

I think that waives your view on what this thread contains...

i love it when people get definitions of words of the internet.
Reply 152
2 5 +

Of course, there is no place for good English in English Literature. :rolleyes:

Bad spelling has implications. How can be people express themselves if they don't even have the words to articulate what they want to say?

I said "morons" can do well, correct? Are you trying to say that people who mispell words, which are right in front of them are clever?

This was the main point to my post but it did require initiative and reading between the lines so what more should I expect?.. :rolleyes:
Reply 153
oilcan

Bad spelling has implications. How can be people express themselves if they don't even have the words to articulate what they want to say?

I said "morons" can do well, correct? Are you trying to say that people who mispell words, which are right in front of them are clever?

This was the main point to my post but it did require initiative and reading between the lines so what more would I expect... :rolleyes:

No, but you can put such errors down to nerves, impulsivity due to exams etc etc... Don't be so analytical of people who sit exams, it's not the easiest thing to do.
Reply 154
Shamen
No, but you can put such errors down to nerves, impulsivity due to exams etc etc... Don't be so analytical of people who sit exams, it's not the easiest thing to do.

Yeah, I mean, who am I to judge? I've not taken one exam throughout the entire duration of my school life. :rolleyes:
Reply 155
oilcan

This was the main point to my post but it did require initiative and reading between the lines so what more should I expect?.. :rolleyes:

And, like 2 + 2 = 5 has said, they obviously are clever if they obtain A*s... So what you're saying is, in effect, people who get A*s in exams are of nil intelligence, because they mis-spell words?
Reply 156
oilcan

And, like 2 + 2 = 5 has said, they obviously are clever if they obtain A*s... So what you're saying is, in effect, people who get A*s in exams are of nil intelligence, because they mis-spell words? Do you know how stupid that sounds? Guess not.
Reply 157
oilcan
Yeah, I mean, who am I to judge? I've not taken one exam throughout the entire duration of my school life. :rolleyes:

Yeah and you are representative of the other 99.9% of people who sat GCSEs in 2004 are you? Hmm... :smile:
Reply 158
Shamen
Yeah and you are representative of the other 99.9% of people who sat GCSEs in 2004 are you? Hmm... :smile:

I sat my exams this year. :smile:
Reply 159
oilcan
I sat my exams this year. :smile:

Doesn't matter, the point I was trying to make was you are not an indicator of the majority of people who sit/ have sat exams... BTW that was a really immature reply and I was sort of expecting that from you. :smile:

Latest