The Student Room Group

Is TSR a hotbed of conservative right conspiracy theorists?

Having recently joined and being partial to a bit of online argument, I have spent some time in the Debate section. Strangely, for a student website, there seems to be a worryingly high proportion of people presenting conservative right and conspiracy theorist positions.
Has anyone else noticed this?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
As opposed the politically correct but unattainable views and objectives of the ultra left?
Reply 2
Original post by Euapp
As opposed the politically correct but unattainable views and objectives of the ultra left?

I haven't come across any of those - but rom my experience at uni one would expect a student forum to be left-leaning and rational rather than right-leaning and bonkers.
……and that is where you totally prove the OP’s point.
You wouldn’t recognise “ultra left” if it hit you over the head with a fish.

Most right wingers like the sound of their own voice and are more Adrian Mole or William Hague than serious political thinkers. They like to pronounce controversial opinions to be noticed like a five year old shouting “bum” for attention
Reply 4
Original post by domonict
……and that is where you totally prove the OP’s point.
You wouldn’t recognise “ultra left” if it hit you over the head with a fish.

Most right wingers like the sound of their own voice and are more Adrian Mole or William Hague than serious political thinkers. They like to pronounce controversial opinions to be noticed like a five year old shouting “bum” for attention

I was just trying to start the debate. If I’d gone along with OP this thread would have been dead before it started!! Glad it worked!! May the fun begin!☺️
The fun of debating is being able to argue any topic from both sides. If you only support ideas you believe in rather than enjoying the intellectual challenge of arguing the other corner, insults start to fly and threads are closed.
(edited 1 year ago)
I'm sure if you asked the more right-leaning posters they would tell you TSR is lefty echo-chamber. The truth, as with all things, is somewhere in the middle.

I try not to label people as left/right and I enjoy my time online a lot because of it. There are several terrific posters here who are on the opposite end of the political scale to me, but they contribute positively, (ie. don't resort to attacking the person rather than the point), and write well.

You can always use the block list for the more fringe viewpoints that aren't here to listen to reason.
it's honestly better than it was before. d&ca definitely has a conservative bent but the crazies are less prevalent these days.
i do liberally use the ignore list though so ymmv
I don't think this is helpful and it seems like you're being deliberately provocative.
Reply 8
It used to be worse. There are some house cranks but they span both ends of the political spectrum IMO.
Only if you count every opinion that disagrees with yours as 'right wing'.
Reply 10
Original post by ROTL94 3
Only if you count every opinion that disagrees with yours as 'right wing'.

So that means Momentum are essentially right wing? Interesting.
I think there's a solid number of duplicate accounts and a fair bit of sockpuppetry...

Eg afaict just had a surge of low postcount accts all wanting to raise the same far right talking points. So troll farms or people pretending they're working in professional troll farms cos thats what theyve seen on twitter.
TSRs hoard of toxic conspiracy theorists sit all over the spectrum.

There are also plenty of bait trolls with no political affiliation.
They will post about any conspiracy theory or try to generate outraged reactions via holocaust denial/glorification/revisionism.
Also lots of pro-kremlin bots and angry keyboard warriors from all over the political spectrum.

Some obsessive incel guys & girls in the habit of posting long unparagraphed rants about their woes or clickbaity manosphere dating articles/connected statistics most likely to get them attention.
A few cranks that see themselves or their equally odd friends as eternal victims of the: army of tinder chads, cia, freemasons, secularism, speciesism or ufo travelling extraterrestrials. :cool:
Plenty of banned jerks and fetish crazies with dozens of dupe accounts too.
D&CA, more specifically N&CA, has had a problem with some extremists for quite a long time. This is why D&CA content does not get pushed to the main site feeds and is effectively quarantined (or if this is no longer the case, it was. For a long time). It's worth noting though that this quarantining, which has been effective in muting the problem, has done nothing to resolve the fact that a lot of nonsense goes unchallenged in there.

These people are probably in the minority on this website, with the day-to-day users not seeking out the content as they have no reason to do so.

Spoiler

(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 14
Original post by londonmyst
TSRs hoard of toxic conspiracy theorists sit all over the spectrum.

There are also plenty of bait trolls with no political affiliation.
They will post about any conspiracy theory or try to generate outraged reactions via holocaust denial/glorification/revisionism.
Also lots of pro-kremlin bots and angry keyboard warriors from all over the political spectrum.

Some obsessive incel guys & girls in the habit of posting long unparagraphed rants about their woes or clickbaity manosphere dating articles/connected statistics most likely to get them attention.
A few cranks that see themselves or their equally odd friends as eternal victims of the: army of tinder chads, cia, freemasons, secularism, speciesism or ufo travelling extraterrestrials. :cool:
Plenty of banned jerks and fetish crazies with dozens of dupe accounts too.

Yikes!
Not really, there are like 10 conservatives here lmao. They just happen to reside in the already not very populated D&CA which is why you think there are more right-wingers than there are.
(edited 1 year ago)
TSR is a hotbed of people who don't seem able to use :google:

That's about it
It's fair to say there's more of it on site than I'd like there to be, and we don't always quite find the best way to deal with it.

There is always a difficult balance to strike between allowing and I select my words carefully here a reasonable debate on TSR, and not allowing the website to be used to disseminate falsehoods, or theories either presented as fact or as equivalent to reported fact. We should always be reviewing how we manage this sort of posting and speaking as a D&CA volunteer I hope we continue to think about what works and what doesn't.
I don't know why you lump conservatives, a legitimate political standpoint in with conspiracy theorists.
I've definitely seen this exact same post from a troll before.
Original post by WADR
I haven't come across any of those - but rom my experience at uni one would expect a student forum to be left-leaning and rational rather than right-leaning and bonkers.

If you think that there aren't nutjobs on both sides of the political spectrum then you're a lost cause.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest