The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1220
hazegirl
Hi!
I'm looking for private accommodation and I have room offer in Niddrie. I don't mind the distance. Could anyone tell me if it's a safe neighbourhood?
I don't expect it to be crime-free, but I'd like to to know that the whole criminal population of Edinburgh is not concentrated in that area. Would it be reasonably safe to walk in that area after dark with reasonable safety precautions?
I saw on Google maps that Edinburgh School of Business is in that area, so I'm guessing some of you might know what it's like.
Thanks!

It is an area that has suffered from severe deprivation in recent years. I understand that things are improving but are still far from crime free.

If you were to speak to anyone familiar with edinburgh they would say it is one of the worst places.

This is what some of niddrie was like in recent years gone by.

http://www.henniker.org.uk/images/places/local_a/ed_east/niddrie15.jpg

There has been alot of improvement with the rebuilding of flats/houses.

However, the upside is that it is close to fort kinnaird - Big retail park
The shopping there is just as good as in town.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 1221
Scottish_Klams
Third floor I take it, as well as the gentleman above.

I've heard something about there being a flat screen telly in every room in Chancellors, although I don't know how much truth there is in that statement.

Yes they do have new flat screen tvs that were installed around easter break time last year.

You will need a TV license though.
Reply 1222
hunagdi
Hey, what floor are you on? Arriving on saturday?

Floor 1, arriving Sunday. :smile:
Okay so I'm in Ewing House in Pollock and have already drenched noticeboards in posters / photos.

Can I put stuff up on the actual walls, despite notices?
Rosie0914
Okay so I'm in Ewing House in Pollock and have already drenched noticeboards in posters / photos.

Can I put stuff up on the actual walls, despite notices?

Yeah, as long as you're good at removing the blue tack etc at the end of the year. On your inventory just write that there are obvious pin/blue tack marks on the wall then you should be covered as they can't say for sure whether its from you or not :smile:

I took a fair bit of mine down when we had a room inspection (happened once in the year and they let you know a week in advance) but as long as you get on the good side of your cleaner it'll be fine.
Reply 1225
Is anyone looking for catered accommodation??
Reply 1226
Or does anyone know how I can find someone to take my catered room???
Reply 1227
please...
a.h.c
Or does anyone know how I can find someone to take my catered room???

no idea, sorry. I think these sort of threads have gone dead, since we've all started. You might want to email or phone accommodation services? Where are you staying?
a.h.c
please...

Contact the accommodation office. I doubt it's likely you'll find someone willing to swap now, though. Most people will be quite settled.
Reply 1230
Disastron
no idea, sorry. I think these sort of threads have gone dead, since we've all started. You might want to email or phone accommodation services? Where are you staying?

I know, I talked to them. They said there are lots of spare rooms in catered so I'll have to find someone myself.. I'm in Ewing.
Reply 1231
Sorry but I really couldn't be bothered reading through ALL these posts
But could someone let me know if Edinburgh do self-catered uni flats, that have about 4 or 5 rooms and they select flatmates for you?
I'm a bit confused with the system for it all
:s
Thanks
Bubbles93
Sorry but I really couldn't be bothered reading through ALL these posts
But could someone let me know if Edinburgh do self-catered uni flats, that have about 4 or 5 rooms and they select flatmates for you?
I'm a bit confused with the system for it all
:s
Thanks

I'm sorry it's so difficult for you to read the op of this thread, where you will find your answer. Maybe someone will be along to help you though.
Reply 1233
nearlyheadlessian
I'm sorry it's so difficult for you to read the op of this thread, where you will find your answer. Maybe someone will be along to help you though.

Sorry I was under the impression you're here to help me not insult or patronise. Even though I read through your
thread twice I'm still a bit confused with the self catered availability to first year undergraduates and whether they are unite halls or owned by the university.
A little help and respect would be appriciated.

Thanks
OK, so if you didn't get it from the excellent first posts on the thread, I'm not sure what I can add to that, but let me try.

First of all, have you read the undergraduate accommodation information on the Edinburgh uni website? That tells you the most important things.

Yes, Edinburgh do self catered flats for first years. Of course they do. The flats are single sex, and you don't get any input in who your flatmates are, beyond the very basics of smokers/non-smokers, and possibly a couple of other things but I can't remember.
Bubbles93
Sorry I was under the impression you're here to help me not insult or patronise. Even though I read through your
thread twice I'm still a bit confused with the self catered availability to first year undergraduates and whether they are unite halls or owned by the university.
A little help and respect would be appriciated.

I spent a lot of time putting together the first two posts, so it's frustrating to have someone come along and say they "cant' be bothered" to read it. I do not understand why you are confused - I clearly explain that all first guaranteed first year accommodation is owned by the university's accommodation services. Unite are parasites and I would not advise living with them. A little common sense and reading would be nice, hmm.
Reply 1236
daeonica

First of all, have you read the undergraduate accommodation information on the Edinburgh uni website? That tells you the most important things.

Yes, I read that they had the self catered flats but it doesn't really appear to expand beyond that (at least I couldn't find anything) it just seems to state that they have them an they're there.
Also I was in Edinburgh recently for a short weekend break and managed to stumble upon some university owned flats, that didn't appear to look like the usual halls of residence type place which added to the confusion of whether they were for first year undergraduates or post graduates or second years wanting to live somewhere different but still owned by the university.
Thank you for your help.
:smile:
Reply 1237
nearlyheadlessian
I spent a lot of time putting together the first two posts, so it's frustrating to have someone come along and say they "cant' be bothered" to read it. I do not understand why you are confused - I clearly explain that all first guaranteed first year accommodation is owned by the university's accommodation services. Unite are parasites and I would not advise living with them. A little common sense and reading would be nice, hmm.

First of all, as I said, I read through the op twice and thourghly. I couldn't be bothered reading all the otter pages of posts to see if anyone was as confused as me and had had their question answered already, no doubt in a more polite manner than yourself now.
Yes, I acknowledge that you mentioned Edinburgh have self catered flats but after reading it and still feeling a bit confused I tried searching for more information. But all I could really find was stuff about unite halls which made the object of your post unclear and even more confusing.
"a little more common sense and reading, hmm" - how old do you seriously think I am?! 12?! As I've said, please correct me if I'm mistaken but you're here to help me, I didn't join TSR to feel patronised and made to look like a fool. I joined to get help with my university application and have my questions answered whether it be accommodation, university choices, personal statements or whatever. And I believe that's what you're supposed to be here for...well...good job!!!!
Bubbles93
First of all, as I said, I read through the op twice and thourghly. I couldn't be bothered reading all the otter pages of posts to see if anyone was as confused as me and had had their question answered already, no doubt in a more polite manner than yourself now.
Yes, I acknowledge that you mentioned Edinburgh have self catered flats but after reading it and still feeling a bit confused I tried searching for more information. But all I could really find was stuff about unite halls which made the object of your post unclear and even more confusing.
"a little more common sense and reading, hmm" - how old do you seriously think I am?! 12?! As I've said, please correct me if I'm mistaken but you're here to help me, I didn't join TSR to feel patronised and made to look like a fool. I joined to get help with my university application and have my questions answered whether it be accommodation, university choices, personal statements or whatever. And I believe that's what you're supposed to be here for...well...good job!!!!

If you didn't come across as so rude and ignorant, then people would be more willing to help you. The concept of Edinburgh Uni having self-catered accommodation for 1st year undergrads is hardly a complex issue. There are self-catered residences owned by the uni, and they're all listed on the university website. You'd be living with either 3/4 other girls if you were placed in a 4/5 person flat, or 11 other people in a mixed sex 12-person flat. I'm not sure what else there is to explain about it, as they're pretty self-explanatory and the OP is very well-written and explains most aspects of accommodation, along with the uni website.
Bubbles93
As I've said, please correct me if I'm mistaken but you're here to help me

You're wrong. I don't know what you think this website is, but I can assure you that I am certainly not here to help you. I post in various discussion forums on tsr in my spare time because I happen to like doing so. I have written this particular thread to act as a resource for others and you seem to refuse to read it properly. I am not paid and am under no obligation to be civil to someone who posts stating they've not even had the decency to read the original post.

Latest

Trending

Trending