The Student Room Group

Quick easy M1 question

I've missed two Mechanics lesson in a row, and have to catch up. Completely confused as what to do. I've done other some other questions fine, but never with just m. I'm guessing it's quite easy, but I'm missing something.

A particle of mass mkg slides down a smooth plae, inclined at an angle of 30 degrees to the horizontal. Find the acceleration of the particle to the plane.

Please quote me and I will return rep.
Reply 1
Generally, for these types of questions, you have to draw a diagram like this:

And resolve.

Can you work the acceleration component out from there?
Heeey SuperKurd!

Basically the method I know is:
- Draw a diagram, and draw on all the forces (including weight), and their components (parallel/perpendicular) to the slope
- Do F = ma along the slope, and you will find the acceleration.
Reply 3
Hmm.. I don't think so. R= mgcos30 I think and the coefficient is 0.8 do am I right in thinking Friction = 0.8 mgcos30.And because it's going down the slope it's (mg sin 30) - (O.8mgcos30)= ma

That's where I'm like what to do :s-smilie:

+ polarity -
Heeey SuperKurd!

Basically the method I know is:
- Draw a diagram, and draw on all the forces (including weight), and their components (parallel/perpendicular) to the slope
- Do F = ma along the slope, and you will find the acceleration.

Saw this after I posted. Erm, but whats M? I don't have M guys btw.
Reply 4
SuperKurd
I've missed two Mechanics lesson in a row, and have to catch up. Completely confused as what to do. I've done other some other questions fine, but never with just m. I'm guessing it's quite easy, but I'm missing something.

A particle of mass mkg slides down a smooth plae, inclined at an angle of 30 degrees to the horizontal. Find the acceleration of the particle to the plane.

Please quote me and I will return rep.

I'd use F=ma, parallel to the slope, assuming you know the mass of the particle. The force 'F' will include the reaction force and the weight. You need to find their component parallel to the plane eg it will involve sin30 or whatever. Then you should be able to find 'a'. Have a go and get back to me -I don't want to give away too much at this stage! See what you can do :smile:
Reply 5
SuperKurd
Hmm.. I don't think so. R= mgcos30 I think and the coefficient is 0.8 do am I right in thinking Friction = 0.8 mgcos30.And because it's going down the slope it's (mg sin 30) - (O.8mgcos30)= ma

That's where I'm like what to do :s-smilie:

just cancel the m's and you can find a!
Reply 6
There's an m in every term yeah? So you can divide through by m :smile:
Reply 7
hannah1992
just cancel the m's and you can find a!

I need some sleep. How I missed an easy step like that :frown:

I'll rep you all for putting up with my retardation.

Oh turns out I can't do that. LOL my apologies.
Reply 8
Don't worry about it - we all have those moments!

Latest