The Student Room Group

Rowing Chat

Scroll to see replies

revisionnightmare
I'm hoping to row at uni next year, I'm 18 in August, and pretty much 6'1/82kg. World Class Start though, with their whole 'have to be 6'2' thing is annoying me a bit, especially seen as my family trend is to grow 2+ inches from 18 - 21. :frown:

Where abouts are you thinking of going to uni?
argh really annoyed. Had to miss a session (I've only missed 2 sessions since I started rowing and those were unavoidable, like when my train to london was cancelled so I couldn't make it down in time :p: ) just because I couldn't sleep at all due to some sort of allergic reaction causing breathing issues which were still there by the time I was meant to leave this morning.

I'm not bothered about my health, everything is curable by anti-histamines. Just missing my last chance to be on the water before I start exams :frown:
partoftheweekend
Where abouts are you thinking of going to uni?

As it stands Loughborough or Leeds. Not sure whether I'm going to have a gap year and then go in 2011 yet as there are things I want to do and some big opportunities with family friends. If I get an A*, 2As then I'll definitely take the gap year and probably go to Nottingham or Durham, haha.

The whole 6'2 thing is a joke though. I mean I know taller is beneficial, but Tim Foster (who was always listed at 6'2) is nothing more than 6' - I met him and realised I was the exact same height so I thought I was maybe 6'2, turns out they just inflated his height substantially.

Tom James (coxless 4 in 2008 Olympics) was at junior indoors last year and he's like 6'1.5 tops (despite being listed as 6'3).

It's double standards!

Out of interest how fast are people in the uni first 8 pulling 2ks? I'm doing 6.32 at the moment and wondering how much lower I need to get? Thanks!
revisionnightmare
As it stands Loughborough or Leeds. Not sure whether I'm going to have a gap year and then go in 2011 yet as there are things I want to do and some big opportunities with family friends. If I get an A*, 2As then I'll definitely take the gap year and probably go to Nottingham or Durham, haha.

The whole 6'2 thing is a joke though. I mean I know taller is beneficial, but Tim Foster (who was always listed at 6'2) is nothing more than 6' - I met him and realised I was the exact same height so I thought I was maybe 6'2, turns out they just inflated his height substantially.

Tom James (coxless 4 in 2008 Olympics) was at junior indoors last year and he's like 6'1.5 tops (despite being listed as 6'3).

It's double standards!

Out of interest how fast are people in the uni first 8 pulling 2ks? I'm doing 6.32 at the moment and wondering how much lower I need to get? Thanks!

Depends completely on the uni. At lower ones sub 7:00 might get you in. At better ones it might go all the way down to sub 6:20-6:15. Might also depend a lot on your experience and how well you can seat-race etc.

Out of the ones you listed Durham will probably be looking at 6:20 min as well as experience. Id imagine at loughborough/nottingham 6:32 would get you in the first boat. Leeds I have no idea they tend to be up and down depending on their intake.
Darn, have to do a pre-qualifying time trial for both the boats im racing in at BUCS :frown:
Reply 325
partoftheweekend
Darn, have to do a pre-qualifying time trial for both the boats im racing in at BUCS :frown:

Awww! One of our boat is through, the others have time trials as well
Reply 326
partoftheweekend
Out of the ones you listed Durham will probably be looking at 6:20 min as well as experience. Id imagine at loughborough/nottingham 6:32 would get you in the first boat. Leeds I have no idea they tend to be up and down depending on their intake.

Durham will take on complete novices, as long as they show potential. I've seen (and coxed) Durham Uni novices who are very weedy (but maybe quite tall) and who have never touched an oar in their life.

They just need to be prepared to give it absolutely everything in the first few months of first year to get up to standard - strength/fitness/power etc comes first alongside technique then it's all technique really.

I coxed a novice four at Notts City a couple of years back, which is in April/May time and they were dreadful, could barly balance the boat. But my god they had A LOT of power, and managed to come 3rd in the final even though at parts of the race they managed to get bow sides riggers UNDER THE WATER for several strokes :confused:
Reply 327
dobbs
I coxed a novice four at Notts City a couple of years back, which is in April/May time and they were dreadful, could barly balance the boat. But my god they had A LOT of power, and managed to come 3rd in the final even though at parts of the race they managed to get bow sides riggers UNDER THE WATER for several strokes :confused:

Woah..

Also, I discovered tonight our novice first 8 got yelled at by Matthew Pinsent at HORR because the cox got them stuck in a tree :rofl:.
Mithra
Woah..

Also, I discovered tonight our novice first 8 got yelled at by Matthew Pinsent at HORR because the cox got them stuck in a tree :rofl:.

That's awesome :p:

We got stuck in a tree at the kingston head. It wasn't technically the cox's fault, it was more the fault of the boat in front of us which wasn't moving up the "queue" when it was told (it was a boat made entirely of immature school boys bullying their tiny cox probably no older than 12) and then we ended up going into a tree. It was only bow pair who got the hair stuck in branches/forehead scratches etc unfortunately, it sucks to be at 2 sometimes (also it was a bit difficult to row on as my cox kept screaming at me to do when your blade is literally tangled in branches that you have to snap to actually move). Sad times :frown:
dobbs
Durham will take on complete novices, as long as they show potential. I've seen (and coxed) Durham Uni novices who are very weedy (but maybe quite tall) and who have never touched an oar in their life.:

I didn't make it apparent but I meant 6:20min for 1st boat at Durham.
BUCS draw out now as well. Some of the races are going to be amazing to watch.

M Champ 8o
Heat 1 Nottingham, UWE, Cambridge, Bristol, Newcastle
Heat 2 Exeter, Imperial, Oxford Brookes, Manchester, Reading
Heat 3 Leeds, Warwick, Durham, Queen's Belfast, London, Glasgow

W Champ 8o
Heat 1 Leeds, Reading, Durham, Imperial, Cardiff
Heat 2 Oxford Brookes, Cambridge, Nottingham, London
Heat 3 Manchester, Edinburgh, Birmingham, Newcastle

1F, 2 & 3 to rep
Looking forward to getting back into BUCS racing, haven't done any races at all this year with my local club, since about June. Am currently in a four but we're constantly put with a novice 4 who think we're amazing because we can balance a boat. They have no power at all, unless its called for it every 8th stroke. Combine that with a 12yr old boy for a cox who's idea of coxing is to aim for every swan and count strokes in french or other silly voices, oooh dear.... Not the best outings I've ever had, but nice to be on the water terrorising the swans again.
Reply 332
I think I saw people rowing in the 'shrewsbury' style for the first time today (watched the 1st 8 properly which I haven't done before. They seem to row watching their rigger/the gate almost all of the time, seems an odd thing to do :beard:. I assume thats what it is as I know the shrewsbury boys do something noticeably different to what everyone else does and that was what really stood out.
Reply 333
Mithra
I think I saw people rowing in the 'shrewsbury' style for the first time today (watched the 1st 8 properly which I haven't done before. They seem to row watching their rigger/the gate almost all of the time, seems an odd thing to do :beard:. I assume thats what it is as I know the shrewsbury boys do something noticeably different to what everyone else does and that was what really stood out.

I thought it was the fact that they mess up with other crews at the beginning/end of a race? I've sure been told off literally every single time I looked somewhere that wasn't in front of me, so staring at the rigger seems like a weird thing to do, I thought it changed the balance of the boat the you put more weight on one side by doing that?
Reply 334
Well we just had a successful day up at Wansbeck Regatta, which is a tiny local regatta but they offered a £750 prize for the winning sprint 8s (500 metres). We won. Yay :smile:

Though unfortunately the money goes to the club, not us :frown: Boo
Anatheme
I thought it was the fact that they mess up with other crews at the beginning/end of a race? I've sure been told off literally every single time I looked somewhere that wasn't in front of me, so staring at the rigger seems like a weird thing to do, I thought it changed the balance of the boat the you put more weight on one side by doing that?

I guess if everyone's looking to their side, the weight balances out (unless someone's got an abnormally heavy head) :s-smilie:
Reply 336
Jessaay!
I guess if everyone's looking to their side, the weight balances out (unless someone's got an abnormally heavy head) :s-smilie:

True I guess. Also, this is one damn weird boat. A VI with fixed seats opposite the rigger? Mmmmh :holmes:
Anatheme
True I guess. Also, this is one damn weird boat. A VI with fixed seats opposite the rigger? Mmmmh :holmes:

Strange, doesn't look very efficient.

I learnt to row when I was 17 in a big boat like that with seats opposite the rigger, but the seats still weren't fixed.
Reply 338
It's the fact that it's a VI that makes it really weird. I'd heard of them before, but never saw one.
Reply 339
I'm confused, those seats aren't fixed, they're using their legs :confused:.

Has an odd layout of oars, wonder why they do that :beard:.

Quick Reply

Latest