The Student Room Group

Rowing Chat

Scroll to see replies

Original post by manchild007
I actually crap my pants when I see people rowing like that (i.e. with such speed) - it may be b/c I have yet to go on my first race, but the fear of rowing in a race context and at that speed moreover, would make me so scared of not catching a crab and making sure I row in time with the others on the boat. I would concentrate on my technique SO much so as not to mess up, that I probably would end up messing things up LOL.

I'd love to row like that eventually (I haven't been able to see your first video as FB is not accessible where I'm connected to the internetz unfortunately) :frown:

You shouldn't get too worried, you'll find you will probably get more hung up on going fast than anything else. Crabs might happen, especially in your first races, but if you worry about them you'll stiffen up. If you try not to think about them then you'll probably row better, and with time you'll be less worried about those things and it'll all just become more natural (not that crabs won't happen ever again, just they'll be incredibly rare). I doubt your first race can go as badly as mine did. I managed to catch a crab on 2 consecutive strokes and finished the race bleeding from my lip...
Reply 741
Original post by manchild007
I actually crap my pants when I see people rowing like that (i.e. with such speed) - it may be b/c I have yet to go on my first race, but the fear of rowing in a race context and at that speed moreover, would make me so scared of not catching a crab and making sure I row in time with the others on the boat. I would concentrate on my technique SO much so as not to mess up, that I probably would end up messing things up LOL.

I'd love to row like that eventually (I haven't been able to see your first video as FB is not accessible where I'm connected to the internetz unfortunately) :frown:

As someone else says, as you get more experienced you get more confident, I can't remember the last time I caught a crab, or when anyone else in my crew has (especially during a race!)

In that particular race I was more concerned with steering the boat to be honest! Racing down a 2 mile course with wooden booms on either side of me trying to keep the boat in a straight line (without turning around once may I add!) and also racing my hardest!! Fortunately all went well :smile:

Original post by Jessaay!
I love the novice video. Ours were awful as well, I think one of mine is posted a few pages down :p:

Henley qualifier video is good. I love seeing really good rowing, I think it's easy to learn a lot from it. I've grown to hate bow though after today, the seat was so narrow that every time the boat rocked because of the wind I'd hit both knuckles on the side.

Haha the novice video is just embarrassing, seriously! But then, everyone's been there at some point in their lives :biggrin: I'm so short that I'm just a natural bowman, and also a half decent steersman so always end up sitting in the bow seat.

I have, however, found that bow is a very technical seat, I once swapped places with the guy at 7 in our 8 last year and he couldn't handle the bow seat and it wrecked the rhythm of the crew, I never knew it was such a difficult seat!
Original post by dobbs
As someone else says, as you get more experienced you get more confident, I can't remember the last time I caught a crab, or when anyone else in my crew has (especially during a race!)

In that particular race I was more concerned with steering the boat to be honest! Racing down a 2 mile course with wooden booms on either side of me trying to keep the boat in a straight line (without turning around once may I add!) and also racing my hardest!! Fortunately all went well :smile:

Haha the novice video is just embarrassing, seriously! But then, everyone's been there at some point in their lives :biggrin: I'm so short that I'm just a natural bowman, and also a half decent steersman so always end up sitting in the bow seat.

I have, however, found that bow is a very technical seat, I once swapped places with the guy at 7 in our 8 last year and he couldn't handle the bow seat and it wrecked the rhythm of the crew, I never knew it was such a difficult seat!

I'm not sure why it's so difficult, it's just the seat that seems to get the worst part of the balance and timing issues of the boat. I've always wanted to be in the steering seat of a 4 though, I'll try and make that my next challenge :p:

I'm usually either bow or 2 naturally just because I'm tiny in terms of weight and much more of a technical rower but I've been put at 3 for my more recent crew just because of convenience- our bow is about 5 ft 1 or 2 so I think they thought it'd make little sense to place me at bow and her at 3 when i'm at least 5 inches taller than her and with a far more competitive erg. :p: This meant i've not been at bow for ages and I forgot how much harder it is. I think it's difficult to appreciate for the rest of the team as well until they're in that seat.
Reply 743
I'm not sure why it's so difficult, it's just the seat that seems to get the worst part of the balance and timing issues of the boat. I've always wanted to be in the steering seat of a 4 though, I'll try and make that my next challenge :p:

I'm usually either bow or 2 naturally just because I'm tiny in terms of weight and much more of a technical rower but I've been put at 3 for my more recent crew just because of convenience- our bow is about 5 ft 1 or 2 so I think they thought it'd make little sense to place me at bow and her at 3 when i'm at least 5 inches taller than her and with a far more competitive erg. :p: This meant i've not been at bow for ages and I forgot how much harder it is. I think it's difficult to appreciate for the rest of the team as well until they're in that seat.

Pft 3?! The reject seat?? Get yourself back to bow at once!! I would hate to sit at 3, what a boring place to be :frown:
Original post by dobbs
Pft 3?! The reject seat?? Get yourself back to bow at once!! I would hate to sit at 3, what a boring place to be :frown:

Yeah I hate it :frown: 4 is also a pain in the arse to follow, she rushes her slide completely then hesitates, then blames it on me even though they've told her before it's just her and I'm supposed to be following her, not the other way round. :p:

If she could row on bow side I imagine she'd be at 3, but nope, I'm just put there for convenience :frown: 3 sucks!
Original post by dobbs

I row at 3 :frown: that's in a bow rigged boat if it makes any difference :P However, I got to row with the 2nd VIII yesterday so therefore I'll take any seat I can get! :biggrin:

(I'm pretty sure it was a one off, but we were still racing the 1st VIII and the J15s so I think I did well considering it was my first time at Race Pace :biggrin:)
(edited 13 years ago)
Hey,

just a quick question, am in my second term rowing now. I'm bow, even though at least 3 people are smaller than me, is this good or bad? I'm thinking I'm bow so I can't make too much damage hahaha! :colondollar:

Best
Original post by DerPumuckl
Hey,

just a quick question, am in my second term rowing now. I'm bow, even though at least 3 people are smaller than me, is this good or bad? I'm thinking I'm bow so I can't make too much damage hahaha! :colondollar:

Best

Being bow doesn't always mean you're the smallest, or haven't got the strongest erg. Often that's the way it is but it's not the rule of thumb. They might have put you there rather than someone else because you're better technically. It's a technical seat and is one of the ones that set up the rhythm of the boat. Take it as a positive thing. I miss actually feeling like I matter in the boat :p:
Reply 748
Mates are going to go and talk to our captains, as they're so unhappy with the selection process. They're getting in, but me and a few others are being sidelined even though we're not significantly worse than some of those who are getting in. We feel like the second year captains are favouring their other second year friends, even the ones who aren't really trying all that hard. Hopefully something will be done about it, because it makes no sense. For example, I didn't get chosen for the training day on a different river, but a girl who's only been on one outing did. She's nice and everything but it's not a good idea as it'll hold the others back. All they're doing is putting off potentially good rowers, and the senior captain has already said she wants a bigger squad next year.

GAHHH.
Original post by SpamBa
Mates are going to go and talk to our captains, as they're so unhappy with the selection process. They're getting in, but me and a few others are being sidelined even though we're not significantly worse than some of those who are getting in. We feel like the second year captains are favouring their other second year friends, even the ones who aren't really trying all that hard. Hopefully something will be done about it, because it makes no sense. For example, I didn't get chosen for the training day on a different river, but a girl who's only been on one outing did. She's nice and everything but it's not a good idea as it'll hold the others back. All they're doing is putting off potentially good rowers, and the senior captain has already said she wants a bigger squad next year.

GAHHH.

Is it possible they allowed the other girl to row, even though she's only done one outing, just so you can all get to the same level? Some of our boats do that sometimes.
Reply 750
Original post by Dave_Beeston

I row at 3 :frown: that's in a bow rigged boat if it makes any difference :P However, I got to row with the 2nd VIII yesterday so therefore I'll take any seat I can get! :biggrin:

Where do you normally row, 4?
Reply 751
Is it possible they allowed the other girl to row, even though she's only done one outing, just so you can all get to the same level? Some of our boats do that sometimes.

I can see why they might want to give her a few more slots but the training day is on a big tidal river and we usually row on a canal - there's no way she'll have enough experience to deal properly with it, and it'll probably mess up the outing for everyone else.
Original post by SpamBa
I can see why they might want to give her a few more slots but the training day is on a big tidal river and we usually row on a canal - there's no way she'll have enough experience to deal properly with it, and it'll probably mess up the outing for everyone else.

I dunno then. How's her erg?

There is sometimes some favouritism in rowing unfortunately but your captain can only be the one to confirm that I guess.
Reply 753
I dunno then. How's her erg?

There is sometimes some favouritism in rowing unfortunately but your captain can only be the one to confirm that I guess.

AFAIK she's never even done one :colonhash:

Sometimes I wonder why I even bother trying.
Original post by Tabris
Where do you normally row, 4?

When I'm in the 3rd VIII I row at seat 5, or 6 if it's bow rigged! Woot engine crew!
Reply 755

When I'm in the 3rd VIII I row at seat 5, or 6 if it's bow rigged! Woot engine crew!

I meant like, where are you in a normally rigged boat?
Original post by Tabris
I meant like, where are you in a normally rigged boat?

5 :smile:

I meant "When I'm in the 3rd VIII I row at seat 5. Or if it's bow rigged, 6."

Sorry :P
Reply 757

5 :smile:

I meant "When I'm in the 3rd VIII I row at seat 5. Or if it's bow rigged, 6."

Sorry :P

Haha, my bad. I wasn't paying attention at all. Obvs not a good time for me :smile:
Argh. Two extremely hard erg days, broke down today. Had 6 x 500m yesterday, only managed to do 5 with an average of 1:43.7 (but that's due to me starting with a 1:48 to see what my pace would like) as I ran out of time and then had 20 minutes to walk to Porthill (my house), get changed, CHUNDER, and then go do chemistry coursework :P

5k Full Pressure today, and I've never done a big test like that before, nor a 2k (properly). Got 20:53 which i'm ******* disappointed with, because I stopped like 4 times. Had a very long chat with one of the rowing coaches and just broke down :/ but he said I just have t o be aware it's a tough sport and some of these guys have been rowing for over 3 years now and that I can't just expect to be as good as 2nd/1st VIII standard after 4 months of rowing. Bah, rant over...

Anyone else have problems with fitness when they first started?
Argh. Two extremely hard erg days, broke down today. Had 6 x 500m yesterday, only managed to do 5 with an average of 1:43.7 (but that's due to me starting with a 1:48 to see what my pace would like) as I ran out of time and then had 20 minutes to walk to Porthill (my house), get changed, CHUNDER, and then go do chemistry coursework :P

5k Full Pressure today, and I've never done a big test like that before, nor a 2k (properly). Got 20:53 which i'm ******* disappointed with, because I stopped like 4 times. Had a very long chat with one of the rowing coaches and just broke down :/ but he said I just have t o be aware it's a tough sport and some of these guys have been rowing for over 3 years now and that I can't just expect to be as good as 2nd/1st VIII standard after 4 months of rowing. Bah, rant over...

Anyone else have problems with fitness when they first started?

I know this isn't entirely the same situation seeing as I started at 14, but I was horribly unfit when I started, famously posting a 2K over 10 minutes long... But with solid training, I've got a lot fitter and gone on to race at Nationals, Henley and won quite a few races. It just takes some dedication for the first year or so and you'll be fit before you know it. You'd be surprised how fast you can get fit, I've been off for about 5 weeks until last week and now my splits are tumbling back to my old form...

Quick Reply

Latest