The Student Room Group

TSR Physics Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
yo-less
But surely you figured out you needed them when you realised the other kids could see the board but you couldn't:eek:

Anyway, so you're in uni then? How's physics at that level?

Yeah, that's where the denial bit came in :redface:

As for physics, it's GREAT :biggrin: Really interesting, much better than A-level and GCSE.
Reply 161
Princess Ana
Yeah, that's where the denial bit came in :redface:

As for physics, it's GREAT :biggrin: Really interesting, much better than A-level and GCSE.

Is there any particular field of physics you're doing? :smile:
Reply 162
yo-less
Is there any particular field of physics you're doing? :smile:

No, not yet - only just finished my first year :smile:
Reply 163
Princess Ana
No, not yet - only just finished my first year :smile:

Ooooh, say, you would probably know this. Say if I were to go into a field such as marine biology, would I need to do Physics for AS and A2?
Reply 164
yo-less
Ooooh, say, you would probably know this. Say if I were to go into a field such as marine biology, would I need to do Physics for AS and A2?

I've no idea, I'm afraid, you'll have to ask a marine biologist. Is that what you want to do, then?
Reply 165
yo-less

Depends what your other subjects are I suppose. My mate is doing marine biology at uni next year, he has done biology, chemistry and geography at A2 and also maths at AS so no physics at all!
Reply 166
Princess Ana
I've no idea, I'm afraid, you'll have to ask a marine biologist. Is that what you want to do, then?

Yep. Or even something like microbiology, I'm a big fan of bio:eek: Physics is my second favourite :biggrin:

rpotter
Depends what your other subjects are I suppose. My mate is doing marine biology at uni next year, he has done biology, chemistry and geography at A2 and also maths at AS so no physics at all!

Chemistry is my worst science subject :frown: I just don't get it :>.<:

I'm guessing physics is the favourite subject of most of the people in this thread inevitably?:p:
Reply 167
yo-less
Yep. Or even something like microbiology, I'm a big fan of bio:eek: Physics is my second favourite :biggrin:

Chemistry is my worst science subject :frown: I just don't get it :>.<:

I'm guessing physics is the favourite subject of most of the people in this thread inevitably?:p:

I'd guess so, given a lot of us are at uni :biggrin: Actually, mine wasn't at school, I prefered maths.
Reply 168
Princess Ana
I'd guess so, given a lot of us are at uni :biggrin: Actually, mine wasn't at school, I prefered maths.

:eek: I used to love maths but our new teacher has made me hate it. My highest grades used to be for maths, now my lowest grades are for maths :>.<: It's appalling.
Reply 169
yo-less
:eek: I used to love maths but our new teacher has made me hate it. My highest grades used to be for maths, now my lowest grades are for maths :>.<: It's appalling.

Ooo, don't let him put you off.

My teacher was appalling, so I made sure I was always 2 chapters ahead of him in the book, which allowed me to sit at the back of the room, with my back to the class and ignore him completely :biggrin: He got very frustrated by this, but never worked up the courage to complain.
Reply 170
Princess Ana
Ooo, don't let him put you off.

My teacher was appalling, so I made sure I was always 2 chapters ahead of him in the book, which allowed me to sit at the back of the room, with my back to the class and ignore him completely :biggrin: He got very frustrated by this, but never worked up the courage to complain.

*She

Wow, you're lucky you could do that. Here in Sri Lanka, it's utmost respect to teachers or else...:s: Well to be quite frank, I would probably be kicked out of school if I tried something like that. No joke. :eek:

I should probably go for maths tution before I screw up my GCSEs though :frown: . I suppose your best marks were for maths?
Reply 171
yo-less
*She

Wow, you're lucky you could do that. Here in Sri Lanka, it's utmost respect to teachers or else...:s: Well to be quite frank, I would probably be kicked out of school if I tried something like that. No joke. :eek:

I should probably go for maths tution before I screw up my GCSEs though :frown: . I suppose your best marks were for maths?

Wow. That's probably better, I had no real respect for teachers at your age (except the ones that were actually good at their job).

Yeah, I got an A* in the end, and won the maths prize to boot. We had a different teacher in the last year of GCSEs though, and I liked her - she also let me work ahead of the group, but was happy to do so, in complete contrast to the other bloke. In fact, she encouraged me to do so, rather than waiting for everyone to catch up, and actually taught me stuff :eek:
Reply 172
Princess Ana
Wow. That's probably better, I had no real respect for teachers at your age (except the ones that were actually good at their job).

Yeah, I got an A* in the end, and won the maths prize to boot. We had a different teacher in the last year of GCSEs though, and I liked her - she also let me work ahead of the group, but was happy to do so, in complete contrast to the other bloke. In fact, she encouraged me to do so, rather than waiting for everyone to catch up, and actually taught me stuff :eek:

Our maths teacher is insane. The class doesn't really look up to her, because she's so ...vague. She glides it, talks to the whiteboard, tells us to read the examples in the text book and that's it :s: I suppose her lack of initiative to be firm with us and tell us to do work means we don't really see her as a proper teacher, hence there's a lack of respect: no one concentrates during class and we all end up doing badly at the exam:redface:

Ohh, congrats for the maths prize :congrats: I have immense admiration for brainiacs at maths:biggrin:
What syllabus did you follow at school? Edexcel?
Reply 173
yo-less
Our maths teacher is insane. The class doesn't really look up to her, because she's so ...vague. She glides it, talks to the whiteboard, tells us to read the examples in the text book and that's it :s: I suppose her lack of initiative to be firm with us and tell us to do work means we don't really see her as a proper teacher, hence there's a lack of respect: no one concentrates during class and we all end up doing badly at the exam:redface:

Ohh, congrats for the maths prize :congrats: I have immense admiration for brainiacs at maths:biggrin:
What syllabus did you follow at school? Edexcel?

Have you tried talking to her in private about it? Sometimes works.

Yes, for A-level as well as GCSE. I'm not really that much of a brainiac at it, I just apply myself :redface:
Reply 174
Princess Ana
Have you tried talking to her in private about it? Sometimes works.

Yes, for A-level as well as GCSE. I'm not really that much of a brainiac at it, I just apply myself :redface:

Well, there's no point because we'll get another maths teacher from next term onwards till my GCSEs. But I really have to work to better myself at what I studied while she taught me. Anyway, I don't know if talking about it with her would be a good idea. If she tells the discipline teacher, I'm as good as dead :eek: We're not really supposed to critisize teachers or find fault...:redface:

I was just saying today, people who are excel at maths are the people I admire the most :p: You're lucky you have that gift. I suppose it's why you're good at physics too.

Guess what? I missed getting the physics prize for my grade :bawling: The guy who got it had an average of 85.5%. My average was 85%. Noooo...:p:
Reply 175
yo-less
Well, there's no point because we'll get another maths teacher from next term onwards till my GCSEs. But I really have to work to better myself at what I studied while she taught me. Anyway, I don't know if talking about it with her would be a good idea. If she tells the discipline teacher, I'm as good as dead :eek: We're not really supposed to critisize teachers or find fault...:redface:

I was just saying today, people who are excel at maths are the people I admire the most :p: You're lucky you have that gift. I suppose it's why you're good at physics too.

Guess what? I missed getting the physics prize for my grade :bawling: The guy who got it had an average of 85.5%. My average was 85%. Noooo...:p:

Ah, yes. Sorry, think I'm still in "sixth-form" mode - by then, our teachers were fairly happy for us to suggest things we wanted to cover, or ways of doing things that might be better suited to us.

You have a discipline teacher? :eek:

There's a difference between being good at physics and being good at maths a gifted physicist isn't necessarilly an gifted mathematician, although obviously an apitude for it is required to survive that long :biggrin:
Reply 176
Princess Ana
Ah, yes. Sorry, think I'm still in "sixth-form" mode - by then, our teachers were fairly happy for us to suggest things we wanted to cover, or ways of doing things that might be better suited to us.

You have a discipline teacher? :eek:

There's a difference between being good at physics and being good at maths a gifted physicist isn't necessarilly an gifted mathematician, although obviously an apitude for it is required to survive that long :biggrin:

Heh heh, no such luck for us :p: Our suggestions are best kept unheard :ninja:

Yep, we have a discipline teacher. And good grief, she is the most strict teacher on the face of this planet, I swear. I will not get started on how she is prejudiced against certain students and holds grudges for the most trivial things and... *shakes head*

That's true, but physics and maths seem to go hand in hand :wink:.
How were your other subjects? Chem, bio etc.
Reply 177
yo-less
Heh heh, no such luck for us :p: Our suggestions are best kept unheard :ninja:

Yep, we have a discipline teacher. And good grief, she is the most strict teacher on the face of this planet, I swear. I will not get started on how she is prejudiced against certain students and holds grudges for the most trivial things and... *shakes head*

That's true, but physics and maths seem to go hand in hand :wink:.
How were your other subjects? Chem, bio etc.

What does a discipline teacher do?

At GCSE, I did:
Biology
Chemistry
English Lang & Lit
French
History
Latin
Maths
Physics
Spanish

and got 4 A*s, 5 As and a B (yes, I'm sorry, I'm one of THOSE :redface:). I liked the languages, maths and physics, was OK at bio, and hated the others with a passion. My A in history was almost as much of a miracle as chemistry - I got a C in the mock that we did :rofl: I only got it by memorising the entire syllabus, and regurgitating it onto the exam paper :biggrin:
Princess Ana
What does a discipline teacher do?

;spank;
Reply 179

:rofl:

Quick Reply

Latest