The Student Room Group

What is the meaning of LUCK???

Me and my friend were having an argument this morning on the meaning of luck, and so we have decided to seek some intelligent points of view to help us settle the dispute!

I thought that luck could come into play after one has written the answer but has not yet got the result. For example, you have just completed an exam and before you receive the result I say Good luck!, am i wrong in saying that?

My friends belives that luck can only be used before you have written the answer, for example, saying good luck before you enter the exam room but not afterwards.

Which one of us is correct me or my friends? We are really looking forward to your responses. :tsr:
Reply 1
responses are needed!!!
You can say "good luck" after the exam meaning "good luck with getting a nice examiner". It's not like luck actually exists is it?

MB
Reply 3
good luck before the exam because it is chance what questions might arise.
Reply 4
But what about saying goodluck just before you open the envelope with your results.
Reply 5
Depends if your supersticious or not!

In my opinion, it is better to wish someone good luck before they take the test, but only because it might make them feel better, and because of the psychologically they might perform better.
(I dont honestly believe wishing someone good luck gives them any kind of blessing in the supersticious sense)

A bit like asking: "Should you make a wish before or after you blow the candles out on your birthday cake?"
It doesnt make a difference, the person in question will just feel better if they think they've done it correctly.
Reply 6
its there when u need it the most !!!! isnt that more than enough !
Reply 7
It doesn't exist.
Reply 8
wellp good luck just simply says "hope its not catastrophic"
Nofer
Me and my friend were having an argument this morning on the meaning of luck, and so we have decided to seek some intelligent points of view to help us settle the dispute!

I thought that luck could come into play after one has written the answer but has not yet got the result. For example, you have just completed an exam and before you receive the result I say Good luck!, am i wrong in saying that?

My friends belives that luck can only be used before you have written the answer, for example, saying good luck before you enter the exam room but not afterwards.

Which one of us is correct me or my friends? We are really looking forward to your responses. :tsr:

I dont think luck exists as its either down to chance or someone helping you.
Reply 10
Once you've written your answers, a bit of good luck won't change what you've written. Neither will it change whether your answer is right or wrong.

For instance, if your friend wrote that ducks are blue, then saying 'good luck' to him before he gets his results will not make ducks blue, and it won't change what he wrote. But saying 'good luck' before he goes into the exam might make him lucky enough to think twice and write the correct answer: that, as we know, all ducks are yellow.

This is all assuming that luck exists, of course. Whether it does or not, saying 'good luck' at the wrong moment is not going to take luck away or hamper anyone's chances of getting a good grade so, if you believe in it, you might as well say it as often as possible, just to be on the safe side.

Good luck.
Reply 11
I believe luck is positive coincidence.
Reply 12
luck is the hope that the 'chance' that something happens, will come out positive. So you could say good luck both times, before the examination and after. Saying 'good luck' beforehand means that you hope, by chance, that the stuff you write happens to be correct, and you can say good luck afterwards meaning that you hope that, by chance, you get a good grade.
Reply 13
I think goodluck/bad luck occurs when you are not in control of the things going on around you. For example, If I cross a road when a car is slowing and waving me across, but the driver just so happens to have a heart attack and accidentally accelerates and smashes into me, I would consider that bad luck because I had absolutely no control over it. Good luck might be me passing out for no reason and falling out of the road, JUST at the right time. Yes, it's just coincidence, but it's also very lucky!

Back on topic, I believe you can wish luck after an exam. You're lucky if the examiner is in a good mood when marking and unlucky if they're not - you can't choose when they mark it.
Reply 14
If you say it before the exam you are saying "I hope you get the answers right to the questions"

If you say it before they open their results you are merely saying "I hope you did well" because you cant change what is written on the piece of paper.

Then again you could argue that wishing them luck before they go into the exam wont necessarily change what they write as the answer but it will put them in a better frame of mind for the exam.

Latest

Trending

Trending