The Student Room Group
Bump. I think people reading the original title missed the actual topic of the thread.
Reply 2
Death row is the prison that convicted individuals sentenced to death are held in during their appeals process.

If you have a death penalty, then you must either have a "death row" or get rid of the appeals process.

So since the latter is clear a ridiculous option, if you want to get rid of death row, you have to get rid of the death penalty.

Nah, I think they need that time; A ruched case with no time for apeal is not justice. (however, many say the death penalty is not justice, I dissagree with those people)
sweeter than a cherry pie
This isn't a question about the death penalty, it's about the bit before that - Death Row. If these people are going to be put to death anyway, why spend significant amounts of money keeping them alive and incarcerated in the run-up? Is it about exerting maximum punishment first because death is "the easy way out"?
Just interested in peoples' opinions.

I think I must be understanding you wrong....you want people who are about to be executed not incarcerated? :lolwut: Yeah, I'm sure (presuming that is what you're saying) that they'd all turn up on their execution dates if they weren't already imprisoned. :yy:

Secondly, if the death penalty is the "easy way out" why do so many Brits complain about it and not about life in prison which would therefore be the harder route? Furthermore, if life in prison is the harder route then why does pretty much every single person sentenced to death appeal against it, given they would be given life if their appeal was successful? If it's so easy you'd assume that they wouldn't appeal and would therefore get executed within a year.
Reply 5
I thought it gave them more time to gather evidence and stuff
All sentenced criminals have a right to appeal. I think it may be a human right. Now, you can incarcerate someone during that time, if their sentence is a prison sentence, but there's hardly an appeals process if someone has been executed.

A lot of death sentences (or at least some) are revoked on appeal.

I'm against the death penalty in any case (for a host of other reasons, but if nothing else, because I believe people should always have an option to appeal in light of new evidence, and that theoretical option is removed if you kill someone), but if you are going to have death row, you want to remove as much room for error as possible for if you planning on killing someone right?

No death row either means you let everyone stay at large during the appeals process, which would obviously be dangerous for the type of criminals we're talking about, or...
You kill everyone the same day they're sentenced - removing any room for appeal, probably resulting in an increased percentage of dead innocent folks. Not to mention the fact that say you take an innocent person to the docks, they gotta plan for the possibility of them dying that day which is really terrifying. I mean, being given a death sentence is really terrifying as it is, but at least the innocent know they may stand a good chance with appeal.

To think that an appeals process isn't necessary (if you do think that) suggests to me a little ignorance of just how flimsy sentences can be, and just how important having an appeals process is in weeding out such flimsy rulings. I just think if you're gonna elect to kill someone, and only 13 people are deciding that person's life or death, you ought to at least run it through twice if there is any room for error (well, IMO, you shouldn't execute them ever, but hey that isn't what you asked for).
I think maybe the OP presumed that the inmates are kept on death row or in jail for a specificed period of time before being executed, not knowing that the delay was due to legal appeals (not did I tbh).

I spose when you hear about people being on death row for years and years you don;t always think its because of appeals.
Sabertooth
I think I must be understanding you wrong....you want people who are about to be executed not incarcerated? :lolwut: Yeah, I'm sure (presuming that is what you're saying) that they'd all turn up on their execution dates if they weren't already imprisoned. :yy:
QUOTE]

You were indeed understanding me wrong - it's not so much the incarceration I was questioning, but its duration. The average amount of time for a prisoner to spend on Death Row is 11 years, which seems a little excessive to me, even for appeals. And please note that I had not expressed an opinion in the original post - I merely posed questions.

Latest

Trending

Trending