The Student Room Group

The "Am I Good Enough For Dentistry" Megathread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
defo apply to bham, you fit the criteria there.

the 7a*s is only for medicine at bham not dentistry.

my friend got an interview at bham this year with 2A* 8AS .
another person i know got an interview with 3A* 5AS 3BS

as long as you have good GCSEs and you need to have AAA prediction for bham,you got a good chance.

All bham care about is GCSEs, i should have applied their.
Reply 101
yeh, bham are AAA/AAB,the woman said that it could be either they haven't decided yet and will later on for 2011 entry due to increase in competition.so bham could either be AAB or AAA

est are staying at AAB, but its still hard.

different unis look at different things, leeds like extra -curricular activities with acheivements, variety of work experience

barts is ukcat maniacs, kings only care about GCSES and ukcat, liverpool are non ukcat, etc etc

woozeybear
13 in the UK so if you work out whether you'd be willing to study in eg. Ireland, Scotland, England or Wales distance wise (if you care about that) you can cross a few off your list..the entry requirements are probably gonna change soon cos of the introduction of the A* (Bham has gone up to AAA now)
Reply 102
You have a very good chance. Do well in your ukcat too because some unis will have cutoff scores for it but looking at your GCSE's you would do well applying to those that prefer really high GCSE's which yours are. I cant believe you said yours arent amazing, thats if you werent being sarcastic.
Reply 103
yeah if you get a high ukcat, defo apply to barts.

cardiff seem weird with their admissions, but they interview less like 170 but give like 95% offers to those interviewed.

qazwsx123
You have a very good chance. Do well in your ukcat too because some unis will have cutoff scores for it but looking at your GCSE's you would do well applying to those that prefer really high GCSE's which yours are. I cant believe you said yours arent amazing, thats if you werent being sarcastic.
TX22
yeh, bham are AAA/AAB,the woman said that it could be either they haven't decided yet and will later on for 2011 entry due to increase in competition.so bham could either be AAB or AAA

est are staying at AAB, but its still hard.

different unis look at different things, leeds like extra -curricular activities with acheivements, variety of work experience

barts is ukcat maniacs, kings only care about GCSES and ukcat, liverpool are non ukcat, etc etc

Liverpool is ex curric too I think.well everywhere wants a well-rounded individual so shouldn't do you any harm to get some ex curric OP :smile: get as much voluntary work, team work, out of school activities, in school responsibilities and work experience as possible!
Reply 105
Entry requirements for Dentistry are AAB, the A's in Bio AND Chem and B in whatever else, GCSE'S should be fine if you get atleast 5 A/A*'s, does this help Ballshock and kutchinder ?
Reply 106
After reading this rate 1-10 on my chances of getting into dentistry (10 being highest).

I want to do dentistry and was wondering if my results so far are good enough as i have just had the results from my january exam.

GCSE: 2 Distinctions 1 A* 4A's and 3 B's

AS level :

Biology A

Chemistry A

Sociology A

Graphic Design A

A level :

Biology A

Chemistry A

Sociology A

Work Exp: 2 weeks private dental, 3weeks NHs dental practice and 2 weeks Helping at an Adult learning centre teaching mostly Ict and some maths. 1 Week in a charity shop

Extra:
Football every week. Running club.

Leadership:
Stem leaders award and also part of a football team.
7 or 8. Be clear about how you intend to demonstrate manual dexterity.
Reply 108
I thought my strong graphic design background would do the trick what do you think ?
Reply 109
also i do charity runs with the running club and I am part of the college science club in which we study e.g. micro biology
maybe actually helping people and volunteering but you're basically there
graphics would be good for the manual part yeah :smile:
I'd agree with 7/8
More work experince and volunteering
manual dexterity?
Reply 112
how could i show i help people ?
SamD1992
how could i show i help people ?

Obvious isn't it?

Voluntary work e.g in a care home, hospice, charity shop
Job in a caring environment e.g. health care assistant
I got work with a local charity on a saturday for 2 hrs
you can gen involved with Charities like Contact the elderly - unis loved that what with our ageing population
google them they may have a branch in your area
its only 2hrs once a month so maybe back it up with something else
Reply 115
might do afew days in age concern charity shop then
SamD1992
might do afew days in age concern charity shop then

Don't do it because you have to, but because you want to.
Abbasmerali
Is this enough experience/extra curricular ?

2 weeks at the local dentist
1 week voluntary at an orphanage in Africa
mentoring primary school children during free periods every thursday

that's what I have planned so far, is there anything else I should think of doing?

Erm you could do some team sports? Or something where you have to be in a team like D of E? Good so far though :smile:
Abbasmerali
I quit the rugby team last year and rugby season is just over :frown: as for D of E, I won't be able to complete it before December. I sell programmes at gigs occasionally if that counts?

You can say you were a member of the rugby team so that's fine I think :smile: Just volunteer around school and stuff, the more you do the better you'll look I think, I'm no admissions person tho lol mentoring is good as it shows that you're responsible/reliable
Reply 119
Hi just want some words from people taking the course, or know about it. I'm taking my GCSE's in about 4 weeks, would 3a*s 6a's and 3b's be good enough (what i'm hoping to get when i've completed them this summer)? Ive heard universities like manchester look for 6a*s for medicine/dentistry? :\ if not, whats the minimum?

I know for a-level it's AAB, i've decided on my as/a-level choices.

Also what's the UKCAT test and can someone explain the gradiing system, good scores etc etc? much appreciated.

Quick Reply

Latest