The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
could someone pls tell me whether i got it right?

i said something like 1) funding, they need organisations such a jonsons roundtree org to help them fund them and they usually fund them on topics that benefit them

2) topics which interests them for e.g. sociologits interested in equlity are likely to tudy gender inequality? so based on their interests
Reply 21
'give 2 factors which affect the sociologists choice of topic'
I think I said personal characteristics of the researcher may affect the choice of topic. e.g. topics centered on females are generally researched by females.

I think I also said something about, hmmm, can't remember :s-smilie: past-experiences of sociologist? I made some tosh up basically and gave an example for that too.

Urgh, fail! =D
Reply 22
is any1 here doing scly3 on friday?
Reply 23
a112
is any1 here doing scly3 on friday?

Yes, I am!
Reply 24
Jamie.H
Yes, I am!

thank god i found one person doing it! is there any threads on tsr with predictions for cly3 ccant seem to find any they all seem to be for january
For the question about the under-achievement of the working-class due to cultural deprivation,how would u get your evaluation marks?? I'm sure it's 8 A01 and 4 A02 but wasn't entirely sure about the evaluation points....
Reply 26
Taylor Gang
For the question about the under-achievement of the working-class due to cultural deprivation,how would u get your evaluation marks?? I'm sure it's 8 A01 and 4 A02 but wasn't entirely sure about the evaluation points....

how o u work out how much A01 marks and A02 they want? i usually just write wateva comes to my head i never organie it in terms of a01 or a02 can u help? how do i know?
Reply 27
Taylor Gang

um you can back it up with support and critical studies of others so for immediatre gratification theory douglas supports it as he states the household is somewhat deficient and lacks rewards so a focus on immediate gratification or even sullivan for bourdieu and his cultural capital theory research supported it but questionnaires were biased or something i cant remember i didnt use that one....can clearly see why :smile:
and then a sound conclusion to compare classes or something
Noj2202
um you can back it up with support and critical studies of others so for immediatre gratification theory douglas supports it as he states the household is somewhat deficient and lacks rewards so a focus on immediate gratification or even sullivan for bourdieu and his cultural capital theory research supported it but questionnaires were biased or something i cant remember i didnt use that one....can clearly see why :smile:
and then a sound conclusion to compare classes or something

Oh right, that sound's all good....I asked my teacher and she said u could also link in an Internal factor such as the self fulfilling prophecy,just to say that working class underachievement also occurs due to internal factors..does that sound right though???
a112
could someone pls tell me whether i got it right?

i said something like 1) funding, they need organisations such a jonsons roundtree org to help them fund them and they usually fund them on topics that benefit them

2) topics which interests them for e.g. sociologits interested in equlity are likely to tudy gender inequality? so based on their interests

yeah they both sound pretty much right, for example, if the governement were funding your research they may not want you to get involved in a criminal or deviant group and the choice of topic because of interest is why most s'ologists schoose to do research anyway, if you're going to be spending the next 2years researching something might as well choose something you like :wink:
Taylor Gang

you can evaluate by saying that cultural factors arent the only thing influencing attainment i.e in school factors (labelling, setting etc) and material factors (ball et al smith and noble) you can also critcise douglas for parental interest i.e. how do you measure parental interest? and bernstein's language codes were criticised by Labov etc

Latest

Trending

Trending