The Student Room Group

A Level AQA Psychology, Sociology, Politics tips ?

Hi, drop tips below to get either A/A* in Psychology, Sociology, Politics (All AQA)

I am self studying these as a private candidate so any help would be amazing !!
Original post by ewood04
Hi, drop tips below to get either A/A* in Psychology, Sociology, Politics (All AQA)

I do AQA Politics! I usually revise by learning each topic content by a text book and doing the practice questions on it and also past papers from the same topic and then i get a plain page and write my answer from memory and then i move on to the next topic and do the same thing. Since paper two has comparative, I learn paper 1 alongside learning paper 2.
Hi, I do AQA Psychology! It might be good to make lots of essay plans for each topic (time consuming but worth it). Practise in timed conditions because answering the 16 markers under time constraints is the hardest aspect of the papers imo. It helps to have a thorough understanding of the content, so initially I blurt everything I know, then fill in areas I’ve missed. There’s also some model answers and other resources available online. I remember primrosekitten.com has some free quizzes (bit hard to find but it’s in “For students”) and a few videos on YouTube. Hope this helped!
Reply 3
I did sociology last year and mainly used the blurting method to revise, this was writing everything I knew down for specific topics and going over with a different coloured pen to add anything I missed.

I’d mainly remember key sociologists names and then stem off terms and ideas from each persons name. The hectic teacher has really good knowledge organisers that I used to compare my notes to, but depending on which topics you’re doing for paper 2, they may only be useful for education, crime & theory/methods.
Reply 4
Original post by PaulineTsh
Hi, I do AQA Psychology! It might be good to make lots of essay plans for each topic (time consuming but worth it). Practise in timed conditions because answering the 16 markers under time constraints is the hardest aspect of the papers imo. It helps to have a thorough understanding of the content, so initially I blurt everything I know, then fill in areas I’ve missed. There’s also some model answers and other resources available online. I remember primrosekitten.com has some free quizzes (bit hard to find but it’s in “For students”) and a few videos on YouTube. Hope this helped!

Thank u so much xx
Reply 5
Original post by Lillahsgsj
Original post by ewood04

I do AQA Politics! I usually revise by learning each topic content by a text book and doing the practice questions on it and also past papers from the same topic and then i get a plain page and write my answer from memory and then i move on to the next topic and do the same thing. Since paper two has comparative, I learn paper 1 alongside learning paper 2.

thank you ! I’ve been learning this via textbook and YouTube but i have to say I find it quite difficult - the UK constitution bit etc haha. I know I’ll be good at the political ideas though- just getting through it. Thanks sm !! Xx
Reply 6
heyy i do aqa sociology!

i also use the hectic teachers pdf notes and i printed out the ones for education, families and households and crime and deviance. i recommend annotating the notes, however, as they are missing some sociologists and theories - i did it just because i find it useful to have extra knowledge just to back up any points i write in an actual essay/exam.

i’m an A* student but i recently had a mock last week and totally screwed it over as i was burned out so i recommend not revising too much or you’ll end up super stressed and tired and as we all know, stress can make your mind go blank in an exam!!

tips:
-know the main sociologists for EVERY topic (education, crime and deviance, positivists vs interpretivists for theory and methods etc.)
-break down the main topics into further sub topics and then learn ALL the perspectives on them eg. new right perspective on education, functionalists, marxists etc…
-no need to learn the dates, honestly! you’ll get tired of learning them and probably confuse them with your other subjects as i do a lot!!

yeah that’s most of my advice haha if you have any more questions feel free to ask xxx
Original post by ewood04
Hi there,

When I was revising Psychology at A-Level what really helped me was the use of flash cards. Particularly, when learning about each study it's important to make sure you can retrieve the information quickly and effectively. I would therefore put the name of the study on one side with a part of the study (for example: "Participants") and on the back I would then have the information relating to that (Men/Women, age, location, etc). The great thing about doing it this way is that you have a real sense of flexibility when deciding which topic to write information for.

I also would make posters and keep them in a visible place in my house so that I can refer to them often.

Hope this helps!

Ethan

Quick Reply

Latest