The Student Room Group

stressful a-level student : self teaching :)

hi, today i will only complete 3 hours of study as i have work and whilst completing these exam questions for psychology i have become so overwhelmed and i constantly believe that i'll fail and i end up crying. i feel as if what i do is not enough
i am planning on getting up earlier to get 5-6 hours every single day done even if i am working.
can someone advise me on how to concentrate and maybe give some advice on
aqa psychology, aqa sociology or ocr religious studies. i defo need advice on essay structures and essay writing :frown:
Reply 1
Try getting a membership to UpLearn for Psychology and you will get an A* or A.

https://www.uplearn.co.uk
Original post by alevelstudent090
hi, today i will only complete 3 hours of study as i have work and whilst completing these exam questions for psychology i have become so overwhelmed and i constantly believe that i'll fail and i end up crying. i feel as if what i do is not enough
i am planning on getting up earlier to get 5-6 hours every single day done even if i am working.
can someone advise me on how to concentrate and maybe give some advice on
aqa psychology, aqa sociology or ocr religious studies. i defo need advice on essay structures and essay writing :frown:

hiya lovely, I'm doing aqa sociology too!! is there any advice needed from me? I wouldn't know about the other two (obvs) but i'd be more than happy to answer any questions with sociology, whether that's essay structure or content x
Original post by thegeek888
Try getting a membership to UpLearn for Psychology and you will get an A* or A.

https://www.uplearn.co.uk

thank you!!!! i will look into that. is it expensive?

Original post by onlinegyaah
hiya lovely, I'm doing aqa sociology too!! is there any advice needed from me? I wouldn't know about the other two (obvs) but i'd be more than happy to answer any questions with sociology, whether that's essay structure or content x

hi hun, ooooh what year are you in? im in first year😃. do you use any websites, watch youtubers or use text/core books? if so what do you recommend? is CGP good enough for sociology and making online flashcards and seneca?
also for the exam questions, what is the structure that i need as in for different markers? do i have to use Point Evidence Explain or is there another way? do i need to evaluate on all the answers?
it’s so hard to ask cos idk how to ask the specific question😂😂😂😂
thank you ever so much!! do you enjoy it too?
Reply 4
thank you!!!! i will look into that. is it expensive?

It is £109 until end of July 2023. But you will get an A* or A.
It is £109 until end of July 2023. But you will get an A* or A.

ahhhh that’s not too bad can i still use it after july and pay again until my exams next year? did you use it?
aha im in 2nd year, my exam is in three days :,))
but those CGP books are not going to be helpful unfortunately :/ i do recommend getting the standard aqa a level sociology book 1 and 2 (the cover should be orange and blue) since that is primarily what your teacher will be basing their lessons on, at least mine did.
If you don't understand a topic I do recommend looking at hecticteachersociology as it breaks down concepts very well. Although I will say it's not the best for research methods and theory, so I'd suggest to look at youtube and revisesociology for the breakdowns.
You probably haven't done theory questions yet but there's multiple ways to look at a question. I'd recommend starting off with what the theory really is based around i.e marxism is a conflict theory that critiques the role of the ruling class. a very quick basis. and then discuss the actual topic you have learnt in the two years; for me it was crime, education, family and beliefs. since you cover theory in all four, you can easily integrate them into your discussion.
in terms of general structure, i do mine in sentences so bare with:
10 markers:
One explanation/positive/negative/argument is.....
this means....(explain briefly what you are talking about i.e if your point is that material deprivation is an external factor to educational achievement, you would need to explain what/why --> this means that the w/c are more likely to experience material deprivation due to their cultural and economic capital
for example....(here you talk about theorists and general examples. you could say that douglas coined the term of material deprivation. you could also say how the w/c are more likely to experience material deprivation like poor housing and overcrowding, lack of resources ect.
this means...(again, explain why your point is an external factor. examiners NEED to see this since it's a direct link to the question) --> essential to include this or else you won't get top marks
as a result...(same same from the previous point but eleborate more)
therefore...(a concluding point that is basically repeating the question and your first point i.e one external factor that would affect educational achievement is material deprivation as the w/c are more likely to experience this due to their economic capital, leaving them to fall behind in education. nothing too wacky since it should only be a sentence)
however...(this is your evaluation, a KEY thing to have in your essays. you can bring your own criticisms but make sure to writer 'some sociologists' instead of anything that may allow the examiner think it's your subjective opinion. for example, some sociologists may suggest that material deprivation is not a prominent factor in w/c educational achievements since there are policies put in place to help those who are likely to struggle i.e pupil premium and bursaries) --> essential to include this or else you won't reach top marks

30 markers and 20 markers: the same structure as the 10 marker but obviously more paragraphs. It's encouraged for 30 markers to have 4 paragraphs but obviously in exam cases, you may run out of time.
general strucutre is the same but with a intro and conclusion. don't stress too much about the conclusion, and still remain objective since you're arguing other perspectives, not your own.

that's the main structure I use. Is there anything else you'd like advice/help on? x
(hopefully everything was clear and made sense)
Reply 7
ahhhh that’s not too bad can i still use it after july and pay again until my exams next year? did you use it?

It's £269 up until July 2024. Considering you would pay £40 per hour at least for a tutor, it works out much cheaper to get UpLearn for a guaranteed A grade. :wink: lol

I will get it for Maths, once I have done the textbook exercises. :smile:
Original post by onlinegyaah
aha im in 2nd year, my exam is in three days :,))
but those CGP books are not going to be helpful unfortunately :/ i do recommend getting the standard aqa a level sociology book 1 and 2 (the cover should be orange and blue) since that is primarily what your teacher will be basing their lessons on, at least mine did.
If you don't understand a topic I do recommend looking at hecticteachersociology as it breaks down concepts very well. Although I will say it's not the best for research methods and theory, so I'd suggest to look at youtube and revisesociology for the breakdowns.
You probably haven't done theory questions yet but there's multiple ways to look at a question. I'd recommend starting off with what the theory really is based around i.e marxism is a conflict theory that critiques the role of the ruling class. a very quick basis. and then discuss the actual topic you have learnt in the two years; for me it was crime, education, family and beliefs. since you cover theory in all four, you can easily integrate them into your discussion.
in terms of general structure, i do mine in sentences so bare with:
10 markers:
One explanation/positive/negative/argument is.....
this means....(explain briefly what you are talking about i.e if your point is that material deprivation is an external factor to educational achievement, you would need to explain what/why --> this means that the w/c are more likely to experience material deprivation due to their cultural and economic capital
for example....(here you talk about theorists and general examples. you could say that douglas coined the term of material deprivation. you could also say how the w/c are more likely to experience material deprivation like poor housing and overcrowding, lack of resources ect.
this means...(again, explain why your point is an external factor. examiners NEED to see this since it's a direct link to the question) --> essential to include this or else you won't get top marks
as a result...(same same from the previous point but eleborate more)
therefore...(a concluding point that is basically repeating the question and your first point i.e one external factor that would affect educational achievement is material deprivation as the w/c are more likely to experience this due to their economic capital, leaving them to fall behind in education. nothing too wacky since it should only be a sentence)
however...(this is your evaluation, a KEY thing to have in your essays. you can bring your own criticisms but make sure to writer 'some sociologists' instead of anything that may allow the examiner think it's your subjective opinion. for example, some sociologists may suggest that material deprivation is not a prominent factor in w/c educational achievements since there are policies put in place to help those who are likely to struggle i.e pupil premium and bursaries) --> essential to include this or else you won't reach top marks

30 markers and 20 markers: the same structure as the 10 marker but obviously more paragraphs. It's encouraged for 30 markers to have 4 paragraphs but obviously in exam cases, you may run out of time.
general strucutre is the same but with a intro and conclusion. don't stress too much about the conclusion, and still remain objective since you're arguing other perspectives, not your own.

that's the main structure I use. Is there anything else you'd like advice/help on? x
(hopefully everything was clear and made sense)

that’s so annoying and idk why i used them. will it take long to catch up and use proper books? i may have to get up very early to catch up and finish studying in the evening on the days i dont have work. i bought the book (the first year one) and then ill buy the other when i get to september. i feel like im so behind and last night i was crying for hours i just find it so overwhelming and i wish i actually knew that the content was going to be a lot and i should’ve prepared myself.
thank you i will look at that if i don’t understand something:smile:
your explanations are so helpful i appreciate your advice so much thank youu!!! :h:
everything was clear and made sense <3
good luck with your exams, you will smash it 😊
It's £269 up until July 2024. Considering you would pay £40 per hour at least for a tutor, it works out much cheaper to get UpLearn for a guaranteed A grade. :wink: lol

I will get it for Maths, once I have done the textbook exercises. :smile:

thank you so much!!! i have created an account 😋 and good luck with ur maths
thank you so much!!! i have created an account 😋 and good luck with ur maths

What do you think? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest