The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Skadoosh
Can anyone actually remember the value of the tension for the last part in question 2?

And yeah I'd say it was harder than the Jan paper, but not the same difficulty of the paper of June last year.

it was about 22/23 i keep getting told. i got 27 but that's because i forgot to change the cente of mass coordinates (remembered to change the mass though :mad: ) Yeah it was about the same as june 09 i'd say. it should be about 59 for an A. what does everyone else think?
Reply 61
You can find Q2 on page 2 because someone uploaded it.
I got 34.59N for tension in Q2, anyone get the same?
Skadoosh
Can anyone actually remember the value of the tension for the last part in question 2?

And yeah I'd say it was harder than the Jan paper, but not the same difficulty of the paper of June last year.

June 09 was insane, 46 for an A I think it was. My friend who's really good at M2 only got 52/72 when they tried the paper.
Reply 63
Jamie23
You can find Q2 on page 2 because someone uploaded it.
I got 34.59N for tension in Q2, anyone get the same?

Yes i got exactly that,

the link for that q. is

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=87157&d=1276605047

what i did was equate the acw and cw moments so:

(20g x 22.5) + (Tcos50 x 40) = Tsin50 x 200

so bring the T on the other side and factorise it:

20g x 22.5 = T (200sin50 - 40cos50)

so if we divide by (200sin50 - 40cos50) we get T=34.58894...
so T = 34.59 N (2dp)

I forgot to convert all the units into metres, but one of the girls in my school did , and she got the same as me, so i guess the units thing doesn't really matter.

all in all quite a hard paper though, the frameworks question was by far the easiest,

I expect A boundary between 51 to 55 , but thats just my vague guesstimate. :s-smilie:
I got the Question 2 Tension as 34.59N as well.
Reply 65
matt2k8
June 09 was insane, 46 for an A I think it was. My friend who's really good at M2 only got 52/72 when they tried the paper.

Is that the one with the ridiculous question at the end about the centre of mass of a sphere? I hated that.

Goodbye further maths. Hello, maths at uni :woo:
Tallon
Is that the one with the ridiculous question at the end about the centre of mass of a sphere? I hated that.

Goodbye further maths. Hello, maths at uni :woo:

Yeah the dog bowl one.
How were those of you getting ~34N for the tension achieving that? Surely it was just (taking moments about whichever axis it was, and I've left lengths in cm as the units cancel anyway)

(40-17.5)(20g)=10Tcos50 +200Tsin50 , rearrange to find T~27N? (I can't quite remember if 17.5 was my COM, pretty sure it was around that).
Reply 68
NewAccount77
How were those of you getting ~34N for the tension achieving that? Surely it was just (taking moments about whichever axis it was, and I've left lengths in cm as the units cancel anyway)

(40-17.5)(20g)=10Tcos50 +200Tsin50 , rearrange to find T~27N? (I can't quite remember if 17.5 was my COM, pretty sure it was around that).

because the sin(50) i toppling it, but the cos(50) is, like the weight, helping to not topple it.
Reply 69
NewAccount77

i got 27, but i think i used 22 instead of 17.5. Actually now that you've said that you've given me hope :biggrin: :biggrin: i swear i heard someone say it was 23.... wait i think you've done it wrong, the Tcos50 one was an anticlockwise moment not in the same direction as the Tsin50 one...
The last question was impossible. (for me :P)
and i've realised i've made so many other mistakes too :frown:
FML. Definite resit i think...though i always knew that would happen :P
acm345
wait i think you've done it wrong, the Tcos50 one was an anticlockwise moment not in the same direction as the Tsin50 one...

:eek3: how? The lines of actions of the components of the tension force are (I think!) as follows:

Vertical: Downwards, 10cm to the right of the pivot, i.e. clockwise moment
Horizontal: Horizontally to the right of the page, 200cm above it, hence clockwise too?
Reply 72
NewAccount77

I think the 10Tcos50 should be -40Tcos50.
Have a look on page 2 someone uploaded the question
NewAccount77
:eek3: how? The lines of actions of the components of the tension force are (I think!) as follows:

Vertical: Downwards, 10cm to the right of the pivot, i.e. clockwise moment
Horizontal: Horizontally to the right of the page, 200cm above it, hence clockwise too?

The vertical downwards force is to the left of the pivoting edge, as the edge was the furthermost right one and the vetical force was acting down from A, so it's anticlockwise (:
Argh ********, misread the question and thought the string was at B rather than A (i.e. I assumed it has just "replaced" the 5kg mass that was previously there)...3rd time I've sat this exam due to exactly these kind of silly mistakes, doesn't look like this will be an A* unit at all...
Reply 75
If I upload the paper will someone do a mark scheme please?
dogie
If I upload the paper will someone do a mark scheme please?

Already uploaded, see page 2.
Reply 77
NewAccount77
Argh ********, misread the question and thought the string was at B rather than A (i.e. I assumed it has just "replaced" the 5kg mass that was previously there)...3rd time I've sat this exam due to exactly these kind of silly mistakes, doesn't look like this will be an A* unit at all...

Whatttt :eek: I did this. I don't believe I've only just noticed. Aarrgh made so many mistakes and really need an A :frown: Think I've lost over 20 marks :frown: can afford to lose 65 UMS marks over 3 modules. That isn't good.
Anyone any idea what the breakdown will be for that question? I can't really see how they extract 7 marks from that :/
Reply 79
I know what you mean. I thought this for the very last question as well.

7 marks for both bits seems way too much. Maybe they predicted a fair amount of candidates wouldn't get the whole part right? Not sure.

Latest

Trending

Trending