The Student Room Group

I hate my degree & I'm scared about changing because of future job prospects? help!!!

Hi,

I am currently at the University of Manchester studying English Language. I HATE it! Partly because I feel like I have no interest in it - it is not what I thought it would be, and I constantly feel like everyone is smarter than me and understands everything more, and I know I'm not stupid because I've always got good grades, like at A-Level I got 4 A's!

I decided to stick the degree out and take the exams so I at least have my first year done and under my belt, and I just know next year I will hate it more, and I am thinking of perhaps taking Social Anthropology and Sociology combined? The thing is, I'm scared about what job prospects it will lead me to. I feel like an English degree would be more respected. Is this true, or does it only matter about the University?? And is Social Anthropology a good degree? Should I stomach the next two years in English or swap and do something I enjoy that might not lead somewhere as good?

thanks
Reply 1
when i read the title i thought u would be doing a science/job orientated degree. i dont see what english language will lead you into apart from general graduate jobs? i have no idea what social anthropology is but if you think you would be happier doing that then go for it, dont stick with a degree you hate for 2 more years. you will be more motivated and get better grades if you do a subject you enjoy.
daisy_1
Hi,

I am currently at the University of Manchester studying English Language. I HATE it! Partly because I feel like I have no interest in it - it is not what I thought it would be, and I constantly feel like everyone is smarter than me and understands everything more, and I know I'm not stupid because I've always got good grades, like at A-Level I got 4 A's!

I decided to stick the degree out and take the exams so I at least have my first year done and under my belt, and I just know next year I will hate it more, and I am thinking of perhaps taking Social Anthropology and Sociology combined? The thing is, I'm scared about what job prospects it will lead me to. I feel like an English degree would be more respected. Is this true, or does it only matter about the University?? And is Social Anthropology a good degree? Should I stomach the next two years in English or swap and do something I enjoy that might not lead somewhere as good?

thanks

Similar to clo89 that posted before me, I think that If you truly enjoy it, it will have good outcomes. You would never strive to achieve anything with a degree you strongly dislike. I therefore fully support your decision to switch courses - and then do your best to research available vacancies, social anthropoligists are very useful in the media, for instance, where they can comment on social trends, contemporary issues, etc. from an anthropologist's point of view.
Go for what you like, you don't want to spend the rest of your life moaning over a wrong choice :smile:
Most people are going to tell you that doing a degree just for job prospects if you're not passionate about it is a waste of both your time and money. Much better to be doing something you'll really enjoy, then see where it leads you knowing you loved your time at university.

I made that mistake by wanting to do a different degree at first, but then realised (thankfully not too late) that I was doing it for all the wrong reasons, and I want my degree/course choice and university to be a reflection of me. Particularly in your case, where English language and Social Anthropology are both arts subjects, where you'll develop transferable skills in terms of communication etc. I really don't think it should matter - especially not if you'll love the content, and if you're at a good uni like Manchester.

So yeah, don't suffer when you don't have to. Plenty of people do a year or so of a course realising it's not for them, and it's just an experience, really - plus, you'll be far more committed and likely to be doing really well once you ARE doing something you enjoy.

Have a word with your personal tutor/the relevant departments of your uni if you wish to stay there and simply change course and go into first year again, or you could take a break from education and start a new UCAS application next year for 5 unis for the course of your choice. Good luck - hope it all goes well for you!

Latest

Trending

Trending