The Student Room Group

I don't know what to take at Uni- Help!

I'm in year 13 and taking English Lit, Business and RS. I've been predicted AAB and an A* at EPQ that I did in year 12 (childrens picture book on finance)and have no idea what to take that would leave me with good job prospects, I have to go to uni next year so a gap year is not on the table and I really don't want to take a foundation year if I can help it.

My original plan was law, then changed my mind, I then moved onto business management, then marketing, then back to law, then back to marketing. I wrote a personal statement for marketing but I've realized that I just don't find it to be engaging or interesting and can't see myself doing any form of business for three years and coming out of it with a good result.

I found some courses at Aberystwth and Nottingham over Security and Intelligence that looked interesting but are basically History and Geopolitics combined. I have pretty bad dyslexia and while I really love English, I hate writing essays, coursework and dissertations- hence why I don't want to take RS or English(not sure about job prospects as well). Given that I haven't studied History, Geography or Politics at GCSE I don't know how to write about them or even if I would enjoy studying these topics in detail but am still interested in the course, I just don't know enough about it from a student perspective.

I'm very creative and have the plan to do a UI/UX qualification course once I've got a degree, but considering how UX design is most likely about to become highly competitive (from what I've heard) I want a degree that I can use as a back up should anything go sideways.

I am up for taking more essay based subjects despite the dyslexia- mainly because my science and maths is truly pitiful. I also am very arty and have considered graphic design vaguely but haven't taken an arts based subject at GCSE or A-level and have no idea how to create art in an academic setting so I've kinda ruled out arts but am still confused about what I should take.

I'm not really sure what I'm expecting from this to be honest, but if anyone has any ideas I'd love to know what courses I could look into?
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 1
Those are good predicted grades and you could probably get into a lot of good unis say if you want to study history or politics I did both at a level it depends on the person if you enjoy it. (they can be very interesting but quite lacklustre) I would suggest maybe research degrees , and truly think about what you want to do in the future. With AAB yo could go to a range of Russel group Unis. Maybe try going to taster sessions of subjects and say if you want to study a new subject maybe research it more or foundation years could be helpful to make sure you're doing the right course. (doubt you would need a foundation year )Good luck and well done on getting A* in EPQ I know a lot of people who struggled with it. The main things is finding your passion and fully investing in the course whether it's 3 or 4 years.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 2
Plan a Gap Year - and take some time out to think about what you really want to do, and why.

Nowhere does it say you can only go to Uni straight from school,
Reply 3
Original post by Cabinet-Antiqua
I'm in year 13 and taking English Lit, Business and RS. I've been predicted AAB and an A* at EPQ that I did in year 12 (childrens picture book on finance)and have no idea what to take that would leave me with good job prospects, I have to go to uni next year so a gap year is not on the table and I really don't want to take a foundation year if I can help it.

My original plan was law, then changed my mind, I then moved onto business management, then marketing, then back to law, then back to marketing. I wrote a personal statement for marketing but I've realized that I just don't find it to be engaging or interesting and can't see myself doing any form of business for three years and coming out of it with a good result.

I found some courses at Aberystwth and Nottingham over Security and Intelligence that looked interesting but are basically History and Geopolitics combined. I have pretty bad dyslexia and while I really love English, I hate writing essays, coursework and dissertations- hence why I don't want to take RS or English(not sure about job prospects as well). Given that I haven't studied History, Geography or Politics at GCSE I don't know how to write about them or even if I would enjoy studying these topics in detail.

I'm very creative and have the plan to do a UI/UX qualification course once I've got a degree, but considering how UX design is most likely about to become highly competitive (from what I've heard) I want a degree that I can use as a back up should anything go sideways.

I am up for taking more essay based subjects despite the dyslexia- mainly because my science and maths is truly pitiful. I also am very arty and have considered graphic design vaguely but haven't taken an arts based subject at GCSE or A-level and have no idea how to create art in an academic setting so I've kinda ruled out arts but am still confused about what I should take.

I'm not really sure what I'm expecting from this to be honest, but if anyone has any ideas I'd love to know what courses I could look into?

How about Philosophy? Daughter takes it and loves it. You would have done some of it already in RS. Job prospects are good. You almost certainly won’t be a professional philosopher, but don’t forget that the vast majority of grad jobs just specify say 2:1 in any degree, and most people end up in careers not related to their degrees. Also, with philosophy, you develop a wide and useful array of skills such as logical reasoning, problem solving, clear and persuasive writing etc, which are all highly sort after in the job market.
Original post by Cabinet-Antiqua

I found some courses at Aberystwth and Nottingham over Security and Intelligence that looked interesting but are basically History and Geopolitics combined. I have pretty bad dyslexia and while I really love English, I hate writing essays, coursework and dissertations- hence why I don't want to take RS or English(not sure about job prospects as well). Given that I haven't studied History, Geography or Politics at GCSE I don't know how to write about them or even if I would enjoy studying these topics in detail.

Hi @Cabinet-Antiqua

I don't know whether this will help but it might give you a few ideas of courses you can do with your A levels that you may not have thought of. When I was doing my A levels I put my subjects into this 'calculator' and I found it quite helpful to see what I could do with the A levels I was taking.

Good luck with your A levels :smile:

Jess
Just in case anyone in the future comes across this- I've applied for International Relations at 4 unis and Strategy, Security and Intelligence at Aberystwyth and have gotten places in 3 IR courses (haven't heard back from Bath yet) and at Aber - so its possible to get in with a personal statement that focuses on IR. Thanks for the replies, its really helped a ton.
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending