The Student Room Group

Big Thread for Personal Statement Questions

Scroll to see replies

I got 1 interview last time round at RVC. I had quite a strong BMAt score so I am going to do BMAt again and reapply there. would seem silly not to as thats were i got my only interview last year. Last year I applied to glasgow, edinburgh, liverpool and RVC. This time i was planning on applying to Nottingham instead of endinburgh? as I have been advised that the scottish unis are so competetive it would be silly to apply to 2 again?
I asked for feedback off RVC after my interview..... it wasnt particularly helpful. they basically ust said that my interview was poor. which i knew, and am working had on for this time round.
I have been getting more experience over the summer and am still badgering people for more!! :tongue:
a little off topic but how did you guys go about getting lambing experience? There seems to be very few sheep farms round here ( its mainly dairy) and the few around are small and dont need/want help.
Thanks for all your help!
Emily
Reply 21
see if you can book a residential lambing placement somewhere away from where you live if ur struggling :smile: a lot of farmers would be willing to put you up in return for help im sure
Hello!

I am trying to write my personal statement, and was just wondering whether it is beneficial to include cases, like specific operations I have seen, or any ethical cases (I once saw 2 dogs come into a practice that had been shot by a farmer for chasing sheep).

Thanks =D
It is definately worth mentioning some things you have seen/done - but you need to try and make them relevant to your and your PS.

Putting that you did 2 weeks as xx small animal surgery and observed spays, castrates, dentals and so on doesn't do much other than show you have stood there and watched. Instead you need to show what you have learnt/benefitted from things. So, for example the case you mention above, you could include and explain how it made you aware of the ethical dilemmas vets can have when faced with a case to treat that has a history to it, but how your focus is on the animal etc. Equally, they might be a case that has shown you the need for effective team work during an operation and careful liason with owners for some reason etc.

What you need to make sure with your PS is that everything is in there for a reason - whether it is sports clubs, the fact that you read whatever journal, have seen a particular operation - don't just list random points, why do you do this, how do you benefit, and most importantly, why is this relevent to your vet application?
Reply 24
Hello :smile:

For anyone who has/is applying to RVC; did you include all the dates and names of work experience placements on your personal statement? The website says: You must state clearly on your UCAS application form the dates and length of time spent on each work experience.

I just think it's going to take far too much space to list dates. Also, for some of my work experience, I've just written stuff like: time spent on a pig breeding facility... rather than tediously listing off names and dates of placements. Do you think this will be OK? Should I email RVC?
I just think it flows much better if I don't have to give loads of details, and I really don't want to have to list work experience because I've got quite a lot and it means there's less space for reflection/the good stuff. :s-smilie:
jen vet
Hello :smile:

For anyone who has/is applying to RVC; did you include all the dates and names of work experience placements on your personal statement? The website says: You must state clearly on your UCAS application form the dates and length of time spent on each work experience.

I just think it's going to take far too much space to list dates. Also, for some of my work experience, I've just written stuff like: time spent on a pig breeding facility... rather than tediously listing off names and dates of placements. Do you think this will be OK? Should I email RVC?
I just think it flows much better if I don't have to give loads of details, and I really don't want to have to list work experience because I've got quite a lot and it means there's less space for reflection/the good stuff. :s-smilie:

I know some people do/have managed to list everything in detail, full dates and full names of places. Most people end up putting things like "during 3 weeks at xxx veterinary practice I saw..." I really struggled for room and ended up just putting "4 weeks in veterinary practices...". RVC then send out forms for you to fill in if you get to interview with more details. But...obviously that is what they ask for, so I would aim to put as much detail as you can in, and see how it goes.
Reply 26
Hey, well done on your BMAT and RVC interview :smile: definatly re-apply there then, you have had a nice experience/practise of the interview style there and you will of worked on improving for that anyway :smile:

about teh scotish uni's, they arnt any more competitive, they have less applicants so it works out pretty similar, what is different is they interview less, so you have a smaller chance of getting interviewed, btu once youve got an interview (which you should with good grades/good varied work exp and a good PS) i dont think there is any reason not to apply to the scottish uni's unless yu prefer the others.
dramaqueen99
I got 1 interview last time round at RVC. I had quite a strong BMAt score so I am going to do BMAt again and reapply there. would seem silly not to as thats were i got my only interview last year. Last year I applied to glasgow, edinburgh, liverpool and RVC. This time i was planning on applying to Nottingham instead of endinburgh? as I have been advised that the scottish unis are so competetive it would be silly to apply to 2 again?
I asked for feedback off RVC after my interview..... it wasnt particularly helpful. they basically ust said that my interview was poor. which i knew, and am working had on for this time round.
I have been getting more experience over the summer and am still badgering people for more!! :tongue:
a little off topic but how did you guys go about getting lambing experience? There seems to be very few sheep farms round here ( its mainly dairy) and the few around are small and dont need/want help.
Thanks for all your help!
Emily
Hey i have a dilemma,
my ps is 700 characters too long! I'm finding it hard to sum up all my work exp, academic interests, extra curricular etc in so little words.
Anyone out there who can help me cut it down?
Reply 28
If you have sentences like "I absolutely enjoy," take out 'absolutely'..."I'm very lucky," take out 'very' etc etc...

Take out sentences that're...unnecessary...it's hard to explain because I don't know what you've written.

You could always message me your PS and I'll take a look at it?
Reply 29
liluvsanimals
Hey i have a dilemma,
my ps is 700 characters too long! I'm finding it hard to sum up all my work exp, academic interests, extra curricular etc in so little words.
Anyone out there who can help me cut it down?

feel free to pm me and i'll take a gander later or tomorrow, or you could post it in the ps help section :smile:
It's ok now I cut out 800 characters just from "extra" words! I'm happy with it now just need a few people to go over it so i can submit my final draft on Friday :biggrin:
Reply 31
liluvsanimals
It's ok now I cut out 800 characters just from "extra" words! I'm happy with it now just need a few people to go over it so i can submit my final draft on Friday :biggrin:

I could go over it if you want? :smile:
Any vet students have the time to go over my final draft?
Reply 33
liluvsanimals
Any vet students have the time to go over my final draft?

I will if you want :smile:
steph_v
I will if you want :smile:

Thanks again steph :smile: I'll pm it to you right away
liluvsanimals
Thanks again steph :smile: I'll pm it to you right away

I dont mind having a look either if you like! :smile:
Also, I reckon Kookaburra hit the nail on the head with an earlier post. Although its good to write about cases you have seen, you DEFINITELY need to make a comment on it (i.e your thoughts/link it to other experiences). Its like writing an essay, you don't get any marks for just stating, you have to state something and then develop on it.

And also, don't put anything on your personal statement that you don't know inside out! (Found this out the hard way at my Glasgow interview!) You'll just look silly in the interview, and it'll knock your confidence big time...

Oh- and just to say that boredom is creeping in as Bristol Vet School don't start for another 2 weeks, so anyone feel free to send a personal statement and I'll try and help you out if you need it!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 37
You could have a look at mine if you want? im just looking and looking at it any help would be much appreciated :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Anyone who wants PSs looking at - it is worth posting them in the "personal statement help" section. There are two or three of us I think who are go through them pretty throughly - line by line, if anyone wants advice etc :smile:
joshhardwick81
I dont mind having a look either if you like! :smile:

I just sent you a copy. Be as brutally honest as you like, im sending it off soon!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending