The Student Room Group

Elat 2010

Scroll to see replies

hello, i love you.
Well for starters it is actually MEIOSIS. Come on Oxford, you know you want me and my ridiculous spelling.

Meiosis is a literary definition? I thought it was sexual reproduction!

I'm hoping that obscure observations about the placing of a comma, themes, references etc. will be marked higher than naming literary techniques, but having read this thread I'm now very scared about my inadequacies. :eek3: I suppose a quick perusal of Dictionary.com can't hurt.

p.s love The Doors username by the way.:cool:
hello, i love you.
Well for starters it is actually MEIOSIS. Come on Oxford, you know you want me and my ridiculous spelling.

i hear they're replacing the ELAT and general whole interview system with a huge spelling bee eliminator next year. :yes:

interesting fact - The Doors indirectly took the name from Blake...

"If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees all things through narrow chinks of his cavern."

... via Huxleys book of the same title

i have nothing to do
harriepoppy
Meiosis is a literary definition? I thought it was sexual reproduction!

p.s love The Doors username by the way.:cool:

This really made me laugh! I don't actually know any scary terms, I was picking them at random on Wiki. XD. Really educational, I know.

And yes, Jim Morrison. Ooft.
Prince-Myshkin
i hear they're replacing the ELAT and general whole interview system with a huge spelling bee eliminator next year.

Haha this calls for a Mean Girls reference:

X-Y-L-O-C-A-R-P, xylocarp!

I too, have nothing to do. Well, technically I should be revising, again, I too keep having tea breaks to distract myself. 12's my limit.
nothing ever, ever deserves a mean girls reference

humm, it depends on what type of tea we're talking here. i could probably stomach about 6 'early graves' in one sitting, as they're pretty easygoing currently on yorkshire gold blend though, it's some strong ****

strictly no dunking allowed too
woah, yorkshire blend, you crazy cat. yes, crazy cat. a perfectly appropriate term.

and and and i'll dunk if i want to!

(i won't, crummy dregs ruin the whole experience.)
Reply 166
hello, i love you.
Sorry sorry sorry, I thought your list was perfick, just rather frightening. :smile: I certainly haven't a lot of them, but when I recognised those that I had it was very satisfying! And I am glad you agree about the mock answer!

Don't be frightened. There are a few on my own list that I have not read yet. I had read even less before I came up to Ox.
Reply 167
hello, i love you.
First week! I think I remember you, and even stranger, I think I have you on facebook...XD Were you at LMH?

Haha! Yes, I was at LMH. This is so random. =D
Reply 168
So I finally got around to doing the practise paper :p:

I went in to it adament that I was deinfetely going to compare two poems, no way I was doing anything else... I ended up using extract A) and C) :rolleyes:

I looked at the way the father's in each extract express their authority through both the use and the denial of speech and language. I'm feeling better about the whole thing now actually - it was quite fun!
Reply 169
Hello everyone - I'm sitting this bad-boy too.

Right. So I'm starting to freak-out now. It's, er, kind of close, and I don't really feel I'm preparing for it :s-smilie:

I did the sample; is there anything else to do, really?! I feel like I need something else constructive to do in preparation for it.
Reply 170
arrrgh I'm scared!
I have revised literary terms that I'll never ever remember simply because I could delude myself that I was being proactive. I've said it before and I'll say it again. We are obviously all raw talent, and need no preparation to shine. It's comforting, if a tad untrue. :smile:
Reply 172
Saaaaaaaaaaaaame. *overthinks leading to brain death* Many cups of caffeinated tea is not good for relaxing...
Hey guys! I'm new to the site, but oh my gosh I am toggling between emotions of extreme excitement and paralyzing fear when it comes to the ELAT! I tried to do the sample paper but ended up with a really complicated and impossible thesis and just freaked out. Someone want to link me to a discussion where they cover different interpretations of the sample paper? Please? :smile:
uuugh over-complication is my issue too :-/

my ELAT prep has consisted of reading about 4 pages of eagletons 'literary theory', browsing a past paper, and having copious cups of tea.

any suggestions on which 4 pages to read, for some cramming? :P
Reply 175
I've had er distractions so have barely read the book i was planned to read. woops. I actually have more to worry with the written work than the ELAT.
Reply 176
Does anyone think that the sample question on Portraits is really hard??
Reply 177
i have come to realise that i am never going to prepare for this, i have turned to sitting in a chair musing about the whole thing.....with copious amounts of TWININGS, or if we are talking coffee, Douwe Egberts

and of course you must dunk! Always, always dunk.

Woolf herself was a confessed hot drink-dunker. You heard it here first.
Reply 178
also, when comparing and contrasting, do you think you need to stick to one topic? for example the sample paper topic was fathers, but are they expecting you to write on the topic they suggest i.e "the following extracts all present views of fathers....."
I'm concerned about how to compare and contrast form when dealing with a poem and a piece of prose...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending