The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

The UEA Question Thread

Scroll to see replies

Just wondering, are pharmacy students able to take other modules outside their course in 2nd year or not? I saw that some people on here have done that with other courses, but I didn't know if it was possible for pharmacy students. :smile:
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Original post by aspirinpharmacist
Just wondering, are pharmacy students able to take other modules outside their course in 2nd year or not? I saw that some people on here have done that with other courses, but I didn't know if it was possible for pharmacy students. :smile:

http://www.uea.ac.uk/pha/courses/mpharm-pharmacy#year_2
Looking at the course profile it looks unlikely as your core modules equal 120 credits.

If you were able to it'd say (or at least it does for ENV)
'Free Choice Study (20 credits)
Students can select modules worth 20 credits from the course catalogue with the approval of their School. '

Even though I had the choice to choose a free module from any other school, in reality because our timetables are evil I couldn't as everything clashed with my env modules :frown:
Original post by makingamemory
http://www.uea.ac.uk/pha/courses/mpharm-pharmacy#year_2
Looking at the course profile it looks unlikely as your core modules equal 120 credits.

If you were able to it'd say (or at least it does for ENV)
'Free Choice Study (20 credits)
Students can select modules worth 20 credits from the course catalogue with the approval of their School. '

Even though I had the choice to choose a free module from any other school, in reality because our timetables are evil I couldn't as everything clashed with my env modules :frown:

That's what I was thinking. Oh well. Pharmacy, why are you so demanding? Still, that's what the OU is for after I graduate. :wink:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Always_Happy
would bringing a car be practical?

No, not at all! There is nowhere to park one except a pay and display carpark. The bus service from the uni to the city centre is more than adequate.
Original post by jelly1000
No, not at all! There is nowhere to park one except a pay and display carpark. The bus service from the uni to the city centre is more than adequate.

Ah bummer! Well it was worth a try. Thanks for your reply :smile:. Do buses not cost much then?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Always_Happy
Ah bummer! Well it was worth a try. Thanks for your reply :smile:. Do buses not cost much then?

If your using it a lot and buying daily tickets then it is fairly expensive- £4 return. However you can get a bus pass for £210 for the year or there is a 9 month one for £195. What I meant more by adequate is that they are very frequent- every 5 minutes at most.
If your using it a lot and buying daily tickets then it is fairly expensive- £4 return. However you can get a bus pass for £210 for the year or there is a 9 month one for £195. What I meant more by adequate is that they are very frequent- every 5 minutes at most.

Oh that's fine then and I doubt I'd be using them daily anyway so it's all good. Thanks for your help :smile:

Reply 527
Hi, a quick question about accommodation. Is it permitted for me to have girls in my dorm room? ... for, you know, sex
Original post by Iron Mike
Hi, a quick question about accommodation. Is it permitted for me to have girls in my dorm room? ... for, you know, sex

Course, the flats are mixed sex after all.
Reply 529
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
Was it ensuite standard or premium? Premium is on campus, standard is the village. It will have specified between the two.

Ensuite standard. Is that accommodation in demand?
Original post by Saphfire
Ensuite standard. Is that accommodation in demand?

All accommodation types are in demand. What I can say, is that about 75% of people get their first choice, 90% get somewhere within their top 3 :smile:

The village is awesome. I lived there and had a great time, and had lovely, outgoing and friendly flatmates.
Reply 531
Hiya, I was just wondering if UEA release a list of books you'll need for your course? Or are there any 2nd year students who can tell me/anyone else

My course: Politics L200
Reply 532
I have just secured a place at UEA through clearing and I was unable to attend the Open days on the 17th and 18th because I have only finished with the application process today. I really need to attend one. Are there any more Open days coming up? Is there an alternative way of me visiting and enquiring about the Uni, it's accommodation and the course?
Reply 533
I have just secured a place at UEA through clearing and I was unable to attend the Open days on the 17th and 18th because I have only finished with the application process today. I really need to attend one. Are there any more Open days coming up?

I secured a place through clearing as well, although I have already been to an open day, I think they told me there would be another open day soon (can't remember dates though - I realise this isn't exactly helpful :/ ). You could try ringing Admissions?
Reply 534
Original post by HFM
I secured a place through clearing as well, although I have already been to an open day, I think they told me there would be another open day soon (can't remember dates though - I realise this isn't exactly helpful :/ ). You could try ringing Admissions?

Do you mean that there will be more open days after the Saturday 18th Open day?
Reply 535
Original post by AmitP1992
Hiya, I was just wondering if UEA release a list of books you'll need for your course? Or are there any 2nd year students who can tell me/anyone else

My course: Politics L200

Heya. I'm also doing Politics, though now sadly going into the third year. I was asking that very same question for most of Freshers' Week - there isn't a long list of books as such that you absolutely must go out and buy. If the structure is still the same, then Global Politics (or A Globalising World, as it was back in the day) has an eponymous book they recommend purchasing, and Introduction to Contemporary Politics also has a book by that name which is a collection of chapters from lots of other books. They recommended that we bought our own copies of those two - both are available from the campus Waterstones and are also out there online for much cheaper prices. Can't speak for all the other modules, but many will provide you with digital copies of texts if they are required reading for a particular week or course section, and of course, the Library has pretty much all the books you'll ever need if they can't copy certain texts (though this be more apparent as you go into the second year). If any particular text is important and requires purchasing, they'll let you know when you start or at least in advance of when it is required.

Hope that clears things up, and welcome to UEA! :smile:

Lock up your daughters, Norwich. :wink:
Do you mean that there will be more open days after the Saturday 18th Open day?

It's possible they have put on another one due to demand, but there is no mention on the website. However if not then they offer guided campus tours on Friday afternoons and if not then your always welcome to print off the self guided tour map on the website and have a look around yourself. See here
http://www.uea.ac.uk/study/open-days
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
All accommodation types are in demand. What I can say, is that about 75% of people get their first choice, 90% get somewhere within their top 3 :smile:

The village is awesome. I lived there and had a great time, and had lovely, outgoing and friendly flatmates.

Just a quick question about water, is your house unmetered and if so how much are you paying and how is your bill organised? Got a bill from Anglian for £370 for August-March and I'm not sure if thats right? Would I need to then pay again from March-June? Obviously I'll phone them but can't til Monday.
Just a quick question about water, is your house unmetered and if so how much are you paying and how is your bill organised? Got a bill from Anglian for £370 for August-March and I'm not sure if thats right? Would I need to then pay again from March-June? Obviously I'll phone them but can't til Monday.

Sorry, my water's included in my rent, so I have no idea!

Does seem a bit steep though! Do your housemates seem to use excessive amounts of water? Hopefully ringing them should clear it up!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending