The Student Room Group

EXTREMELY bad UCAT score

Hi, I recently did my UCAT that I spent a whole month on practicing for it, as well as sacrificing my whole summer work for school just for it, and I unfortunately did really poor with a score of 2140 and a band 3. Do I have ANY chance to get into medical school?
Original post by alchemist100
Hi, I recently did my UCAT that I spent a whole month on practicing for it, as well as sacrificing my whole summer work for school just for it, and I unfortunately did really poor with a score of 2140 and a band 3. Do I have ANY chance to get into medical school?

Hi i think your ucat score is too low. But did you sit the bmat?

Where did you apply to?
Original post by Greekdentist
Hi i think your ucat score is too low. But did you sit the bmat?

Yes I sat the BMAT recently
Original post by larissaberry
Where did you apply to?

My options are
Imperial College London
Brighton and Sussex medical school
Anglia Ruskin
UEA
University of Kent
Yes I sat the BMAT recently

My options are
Imperial College London
Anglia Ruskin
UEA
University of Kent

That is good that you sat the bmat. How did you find it overall? I found sections 1 & 3 similar to last year's paper but section 2 was hard with the timing.
I applied for dentistry and during my past applications i got a very low ucat too (<2400) and unfortunately this was the weakest part in my application given that I am applying as a graduate. This year I only focus at leeds which is a bmat uni.
I think if you did very well in the bmat you can get interviews from imperial and brighton and sussex although i think the later uni might have a cutoff for the bmat. Kent and UEA might have a ucat cutoff too but will depend on how many people apply. Good luck!:smile:
Original post by Greekdentist
That is good that you sat the bmat. How did you find it overall? I found sections 1 & 3 similar to last year's paper but section 2 was hard with the timing.
I applied for dentistry and during my past applications i got a very low ucat too (<2400) and unfortunately this was the weakest part in my application given that I am applying as a graduate. This year I only focus at leeds which is a bmat uni.
I think if you did very well in the bmat you can get interviews from imperial and brighton and sussex although i think the later uni might have a cutoff for the bmat. Kent and UEA might have a ucat cutoff too but will depend on how many people apply. Good luck!:smile:

Thanks! I had the same struggle with the BMAT too! I managed to complete section 1 and 3 but for section 2 I only managed to do half the questions because of the ridiculous time limit.
Thanks! I had the same struggle with the BMAT too! I managed to complete section 1 and 3 but for section 2 I only managed to do half the questions because of the ridiculous time limit.

No worries hope you get interviews from the bmat unis usually they are more holistic. :wink:
Also, I would strongly advice in case you don't get into and you really want to do medicine then to take a gap year than enrol to a degree and then try as a graduate. It is so competitive as a graduate and you have to do really well on the admissions tests even if you got top grades. All the best with your application:smile:
Hiya,
The UCAT is a really tough exam with a lot of unique pressures to it- I'm sorry to hear that your hard work didn't pay off! A score of 2140 puts you in the 11th percentile of everyone who sat the UCAT this year. Unfortunately, this means that it's unlikely that you will receive an interview from the UCAT universities, although UEA have previously given an interview to a sub-2000 score before. The main thing is that you've sat the BMAT and included BMAT options on your UCAS- with that spread, you've given yourself a really good chance there.

Best of luck with your application! Are you thinking of starting interview prep any time soon?

John C
Y5 UEA Med Student
Medic Mind
Original post by MedicMind
Hiya,
The UCAT is a really tough exam with a lot of unique pressures to it- I'm sorry to hear that your hard work didn't pay off! A score of 2140 puts you in the 11th percentile of everyone who sat the UCAT this year. Unfortunately, this means that it's unlikely that you will receive an interview from the UCAT universities, although UEA have previously given an interview to a sub-2000 score before. The main thing is that you've sat the BMAT and included BMAT options on your UCAS- with that spread, you've given yourself a really good chance there.

Best of luck with your application! Are you thinking of starting interview prep any time soon?

John C
Y5 UEA Med Student
Medic Mind

Thanks!
Yes I am considering preparing for my interviews.
Reply 10
My options are
Imperial College London
Anglia Ruskin
UEA
University of Kent

Hi I’m in a similar position to you this year with a poor UCAt score. I’m considering doing the bmat and was wondering if you got interview and offers from any of the universities listed.
Reply 11
My options are
Imperial College London
Anglia Ruskin
UEA
University of Kent

Hi I just wanted to know what unis gave you an offer if you don’t mind asking??
Reply 12
Original post by trin.x
Hi I just wanted to know what unis gave you an offer if you don’t mind asking??

This a very old thread the OP hasnt been on line for many months.

If you have your UCAT score post your stats in this thread in the format in the first post. Good luck.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7312527

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending