The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Wanting to apply for Literature and History combined degree at UEA

I am currently in the middle of my UCAS application for an undergraduate Literature and History combined degree (my Personal Statement is currently awaiting a review) & after tons of research on the university, student life, and the course itself, I have decided that I would like to put in an application to UEA for this course for entry next September:h: I am wondering whether there is anybody (regardless of what year of study) studying at this university & can give me some advice, thoughts and opinions on the course and campus etc.
I am 24 (I guess a "mature student":wink: so I am out of the traditional 18-21 student age range so I am questioning what the university is like/ treats the category of students I fall into.

Unfortunately, I did not make it to any of the open days UEA held this side of Christmas but I have been given a link for a "virtual open day" to peruse at my convenience, so understandably, any input from anybody who is a current/ past student or in any way affiliated with the university would be greatly appreciated:smile:

Thank you in advance!
Hello @emlouimawx

Super exciting to hear you have put in an application for UEA! I am a second- year film and television student. However, I have taken an English Literature module called ‘Reading literature in History.’This module was extremely interesting, I studied Chaucer, Thomas Wyatt and The Spanish Tragedy, plus many more. The teachers were very supportive, and the content can be both challenging and fun!

I also have lots of friends studying History, who are really enjoying the course. Any History specific questions, I can try and find out for you! Please do not worry about being a mature student, at UEA we accommodate to everyone. There is a mature student’s community, who host events throughout the year and they offer great support, specifically aimed for mature students too. Were you planning to live on campus ? As we offer mature students accommodations, we aim to group you with other students at a similar age.

And in terms of our campus, we have lots of open spaces for walks and outdoor activities. Our library and the sports park are also great facilities for our students to use. I personally love the coffee outlets and the private study rooms. Would definitely recommend taking that virtual tour and checking out our upcoming talks on UEA or our subjects talks too. Obviously you can’t beat seeing the place in person, our next face-to face open day is on Saturday 6th July. But we do also have a mini open day on the 20th January, the full list is here. Lastly, we always like to invite our applicants to our Applicant days, which are held in February and March.

All the best, Tiffany
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by UEA Rep Tiffany
Hello @emlouimawx

Super exciting to hear you have put in an application for UEA! I am a second- year film and television student. However, I have taken an English Literature module called ‘Reading literature in History.’This module was extremely interesting, I studied Chaucer, Thomas Wyatt and The Spanish Tragedy, plus many more. The teachers were very supportive, and the content can be both challenging and fun!

I also have lots of friends studying History, who are really enjoying the course. Any History specific questions, I can try and find out for you! Please do not worry about being a mature student, at UEA we accommodate to everyone. There is a mature student’s community, who host events throughout the year and they offer great support, specifically aimed for mature students too. Were you planning to live on campus ? As we offer mature students accommodations, we aim to group you with other students at a similar age.

And in terms of our campus, we have lots of open spaces for walks and outdoor activities. Our library and the sports park are also great facilities for our students to use. I personally love the coffee outlets and the private study rooms. Would definitely recommend taking that virtual tour and checking out our upcoming talks on UEA or our subjects talks too. Obviously you can’t beat seeing the place in person, our next face-to face open day is on Saturday 6th July. But we do also have a mini open day on the 20th January, the full list is here. Lastly, we always like to invite our applicants to our Applicant days, which are held in February and March.

All the best, Tiffany

Hi Tiffany,

Thank you so much for such an in-depth review/ response! The university sounds amazing & it is definitely my top choice. The virtual tour I will absolutely look into doing this week & I will go about attending an open day to get an in-person feel for the campus 🙂
Would you be happy to perhaps ask what modules in History your friends are studying currently please? I am always happy to receive some information privately too.
I was planning to live on campus perhaps for the first year due to living in London, however, anywhere that is decent & the rent is reasonable, I would be happy to take it. The opportunity to be placed with other mature students appeals to me even more, it would make me feel so comfortable 😛
I just need to work hard now to meet the entry requirements for Access students & gain a fixed place at the university!🥰

Many thanks again!
Original post by emlouimawx
I am currently in the middle of my UCAS application for an undergraduate Literature and History combined degree (my Personal Statement is currently awaiting a review) & after tons of research on the university, student life, and the course itself, I have decided that I would like to put in an application to UEA for this course for entry next September:h: I am wondering whether there is anybody (regardless of what year of study) studying at this university & can give me some advice, thoughts and opinions on the course and campus etc.
I am 24 (I guess a "mature student":wink: so I am out of the traditional 18-21 student age range so I am questioning what the university is like/ treats the category of students I fall into.

Unfortunately, I did not make it to any of the open days UEA held this side of Christmas but I have been given a link for a "virtual open day" to peruse at my convenience, so understandably, any input from anybody who is a current/ past student or in any way affiliated with the university would be greatly appreciated:smile:

Thank you in advance!

Hi @emlouimawx,

It's fantastic to hear that you're considering UEA for your undergraduate Literature and History degree! I can certainly share some insights with you, although my academic background is in genetics rather than the humanities. Even though our fields are different, the academic excellence is something that seems to run across the university! I joined UEA just over 4 years ago for my PhD, coming from UCL (MSc) and I have not regreted any second of it. UEA has given me so many opportunities other than my PhD, from teaching at local schools to helping me set up my business - it's a truly especial place, which I'm sure you'll enjoy it very much!

As for campus life, UEA truly offers a vibrant and inclusive community. The campus itself is like a mini city, with shops, library, gym, clubs and research hubs.

And don't stress about being a "mature student." UEA is all about embracing diversity, and they totally get the unique perspectives that folks like us bring to the table. There's support in place to make sure everyone feels at home, no matter their age or background - which is really fantastic!

I'm sorry you missed the open days, but the virtual one should give you a solid feel for the place. If there's anything else you're curious about or if you need more details, please let me know.

Best of luck with the application hope to see you at UEA next September!

Daniel
Original post by emlouimawx
Hi Tiffany,

Thank you so much for such an in-depth review/ response! The university sounds amazing & it is definitely my top choice. The virtual tour I will absolutely look into doing this week & I will go about attending an open day to get an in-person feel for the campus 🙂
Would you be happy to perhaps ask what modules in History your friends are studying currently please? I am always happy to receive some information privately too.
I was planning to live on campus perhaps for the first year due to living in London, however, anywhere that is decent & the rent is reasonable, I would be happy to take it. The opportunity to be placed with other mature students appeals to me even more, it would make me feel so comfortable 😛
I just need to work hard now to meet the entry requirements for Access students & gain a fixed place at the university!🥰

Many thanks again!

Hello again, @emlouimawx

Glad I could be of help 😊

I have reached out to my history friends and they have chosen to study ‘Anglo-Saxon England, C.400-1066 ,‘The Tudor’s’ and ‘The Late Medieval world.’ They both seem to really enjoy studying these and are looking forward to their next semester on ‘Victorian Britain.’ Sounds like a great plan to live on campus. I lived on campus in my first year, so any questions feel free to message me privately. 😁

Otherwise, good luck and all the best,
Tiffany

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending