The Student Room Group

What is pooling? Can you be pooled after being rejected for interview?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Huw Davies
Based on what they do for medicine, but hopefully someone Mathsy in the know will turn up to clarify:

The second college is assigned completely at random. Colleges don't know which applicants are first choice and which were randomly-allocated. Candidates are ranked independently and colleges don't talk directly to each other. Colleges take their highest-ranked candidate with candidate preference taking priority if both want them.

As I understand it it's different for Cambridge, in which there is a formal "pool" to which oversubscribed colleges can assign their good-but-not the-best applicants and from which (relatively) undersubscribed ones can actively "fish" for better people.

Why are some candidates invited to a second interview at the second college?
At my college for maths, 3 people were kept longer on the last day because their second allocated college wanted a further interview??

I had two at my first choice and only one at the second..Is it possible for the second college to want you with only one interview?
Original post by Ryan222
Why are some candidates invited to a second interview at the second college?
At my college for maths, 3 people were kept longer on the last day because their second allocated college wanted a further interview??

I had two at my first choice and only one at the second..Is it possible for the second college to want you with only one interview?

If so then it sounds as if it's quite different than for medics so I'm not qualified to speculate any more than I've already done!

Second interview might be for people who are at the borderline? I honestly don't know.
A Confused Parent
The second college interview is purely to make sure that as many people as possible have spoken to a candidate so that the opinion formed of them is as fair and justified as possible.

I applied for Physics not Mathematics but the subjects are similar in process, it is policy to have a second interview at a different college but unlike Huw Davies said, the second college knows that the applicant has already had the main interviews at the primary college and they know which college they were at.

The secondary college uses their interview to help rank all applicants on performance and so no matter where you were interviewed, the best applicants will get through.
The second college can request to take an applicant and may be more likely to than others as they have seen them at interview but the primary college has the first say on said applicant and even if the primary or secondary college does not want this applicant, other colleges may use the rankings to choose them.
Reply 23
Original post by forgetful-fairy
The second college interview is purely to make sure that as many people as possible have spoken to a candidate so that the opinion formed of them is as fair and justified as possible.

I applied for Physics not Mathematics but the subjects are similar in process, it is policy to have a second interview at a different college but unlike Huw Davies said, the second college knows that the applicant has already had the main interviews at the primary college and they know which college they were at.

The secondary college uses their interview to help rank all applicants on performance and so no matter where you were interviewed, the best applicants will get through.
The second college can request to take an applicant and may be more likely to than others as they have seen them at interview but the primary college has the first say on said applicant and even if the primary or secondary college does not want this applicant, other colleges may use the rankings to choose them.

If its to rank them why do a few people get called for more than one onterview at the second college?....so most maths people had 3 interviews but some had 4?
Reply 24
Original post by Ryan222
If its to rank them why do a few people get called for more than one onterview at the second college?....so most maths people had 3 interviews but some had 4?

There's your difference between the arts and the sciences right there. Us Historians are all wondering how such a malevolently bizarre selection process could have developed over the years, whereas the Mathematicians are busy trying to work out what really makes it tick. :smile:
Thanks for the answers. A bit worried about the suggestion of two interviews per college; I thought that was just for Joint Maths (ie Maths & Philosophy, Maths & Comp Science etc)?

I know one person doing Maths & Comp Science got two separate subject interviews at his chosen college then a single combined at the other....

Far as I know my sons fellow applicants at his college only got one interview per college for Maths only :confused:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Ryan222

In all honesty I can't fully answer that, from speculations of teachers and people, its borderline candidates who get 2 at a second college but to be honest, its better than those who have fewer simply because the colleges think nothing of them. It works both ways.

Just keep in mind that they wouldn't waste time with someone they didn't like and the colleges do their best to get a good idea of standards.
Original post by forgetful-fairy

I'm not sure this is a general truth. If you read the Chemistry thread, one person's scenario was that eight people were sent home directly after their first college interviews, while the rest had interviews at a second college. Those who were sent home seemed to be the one's accepted by the first college.

EDIT: If you are talking about pre-scheduled secon college interviews, that's another question. This was interviews arranged after the main ones were over.
(edited 13 years ago)
It varies both by subject and by college. In Maths & Computer Science / Computer Science at least, even people who get offers from their first choice college have a variable number of interviews at the second college. You can't read anything in to it.
Original post by Abstractineum
I'm not sure this is a general truth. If you read the Chemistry thread, one person's scenario was that eight people were sent home directly after their first college interviews, while the rest had interviews at a second college. Those who were sent home seemed to be the one's accepted by the first college.

EDIT: If you are talking about pre-scheduled secon college interviews, that's another question. This was interviews arranged after the main ones were over.

I was talking about pre-scheduled ones, :smile: planned before we'd had any interviews and again, chemistry may be different but all the physics applicants I spoke to during the whole time had second college (planned) interviews and so did all of the mathematicians at my college.
Reply 30
Original post by hobnob
So if you receive a proper rejection letter, that is one which doesn't contain the 'I believe another college is about to give you an offer soon' bit, that's it. And if your letter does contain that phrase, you will get an offer, just not from that college. It's all pretty straightforward.

Got one today from Exeter, it says that they cannot offer me a place, but 'another college is likely to accept me' and ends optimistically with 'I trust that the outcome of your Oxford application will indeed be successful'.

Now, from what you say I can already celebrate?! :biggrin: :cheers:
Reply 31
Original post by MajorMajor
Got one today from Exeter, it says that they cannot offer me a place, but 'another college is likely to accept me' and ends optimistically with 'I trust that the outcome of your Oxford application will indeed be successful'.

Now, from what you say I can already celebrate?! :biggrin: :cheers:

Yes.:smile: In four years on TSR, I've never come across anyone who got such a letter and didn't receive an offer afterwards.
Reply 32
What does it mean if you don't get pooled for another interview at a different college?
Ever since I didn't get pooled at my interview I've been feeling as though it was probably a negative indication of how well I did.
Reply 33
Original post by harghy
What does it mean if you don't get pooled for another interview at a different college?
Ever since I didn't get pooled at my interview I've been feeling as though it was probably a negative indication of how well I did.

Plenty of people don't get any additional interviews and get in. I only did two interviews at my chosen college, and was accepted there.

Some subjects automatically interview candidates at two different colleges, others don't. There's no fixed pattern and it's pointless to make any assumptions either way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending