The Student Room Group

First Year - Mini pupillage

Hi there, I'm a first year studying Laws (LLB) at KCL. I don't really have any plans for this summer, and should probably get some work experience.

I want to go to the bar eventually, but I don't think I want to work in London after graduation. Is it possible to get a mini pupillage between 1st/2nd year summer holidays? Or even easter holidays?

How exactly can I best apply for one? I'm looking at regional chambers, say Bristol, Manchester, and even local chambers close to my home town. Most of them instruct applicants to send a CV with a covering letter, but I've never applied for these before! I really want to get something.

Are they quite tricky to come by?

Many thanks,

L
(edited 13 years ago)
They're not easy to get but they are far easier to get than pupillage. I recommend you get as many as possible before you start applying for pupillage. Having a wide range in a wide range of areas allows you to be flexible when applying for pupillage. You can then tailor your pupillage applications by leaving out various mini ps.

You answered your own question really. The best way to apply is find a chambers (use google or chambers guide or the pupillage portal website) and follow their instructions. Some ask for a covering letter and cv, others have application forms.

You said you suppose you should do something at summer. I cannot emphasise enough how competitive pupillage is and you must have something on your cv to differentiate you from other candidates so do as much as you can!
I forgot to say that mini-pupillage availability differs between chambers. I've done some over holidays and others during term. I applied and made myself available whenever my application was successful.
Reply 3
Original post by LibraryHomeCinema
They're not easy to get but they are far easier to get than pupillage. I recommend you get as many as possible before you start applying for pupillage. Having a wide range in a wide range of areas allows you to be flexible when applying for pupillage. You can then tailor your pupillage applications by leaving out various mini ps.

You answered your own question really. The best way to apply is find a chambers (use google or chambers guide or the pupillage portal website) and follow their instructions. Some ask for a covering letter and cv, others have application forms.

You said you suppose you should do something at summer. I cannot emphasise enough how competitive pupillage is and you must have something on your cv to differentiate you from other candidates so do as much as you can!

But can someone who has just finished first year do a mini pupillage?
Original post by lesbionic
But can someone who has just finished first year do a mini pupillage?

There's nothing to say you can't. I did my first mini-pupillage before starting the GDL and knew nothing at all! I knew a guy that did a mini-p while at school. It all depends on the chambers involved, some specify that you have to be at a certain level while others do not.
Reply 5
Original post by LibraryHomeCinema
There's nothing to say you can't. I did my first mini-pupillage before starting the GDL and knew nothing at all! I knew a guy that did a mini-p while at school. It all depends on the chambers involved, some specify that you have to be at a certain level while others do not.

Ok Ok! Thanks for the information. What should I do now? I've done my CV so it's orientated towards legal careers etc.

Now I need to work on a covering letter, I wodner what to say...

And then do I stick the CV and cover letter into an envelope and just send them out everywhere (with each cover letter tailored to the firm)?
Original post by lesbionic
Ok Ok! Thanks for the information. What should I do now? I've done my CV so it's orientated towards legal careers etc.

Now I need to work on a covering letter, I wodner what to say...

And then do I stick the CV and cover letter into an envelope and just send them out everywhere (with each cover letter tailored to the firm)?

You need to look at each chamber's website and do what the tell you to do. Some ask for it via email, just have a look.

Generally your covering letter should have a bit about you (i.e the stage you're currently at) and explain why you're interested in that area of law and why you want a mini-pupillage at that set.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending