The Student Room Group

Law Work Experience

Hi,
I wanted to ask if anyone knows of a firm that will allow me to do work experience in Slough? Or shadow a barrister?
And if not, then what other things can I do for any form of experience? I do not meet the eligibility criteria for many work experience companies due to not being disadvantaged.
This is specific for Year 12 please.
Thank you!
It's unlikely that anyone on here will have knowledge of the firms on Slough specifically. The better option for you would simply be to email firms that are close to you and see what they say. Smaller high street firms are likely to be more flexible than bigger firms anyway, so you may have success with that.

Barristers chambers' are a little more difficult because the majority only offer mini pupillages (which is the official term for work experience with a barrister) to university undergraduates and not A-Level students. I'm also not aware of any barristers' chambers that are specifically in Slough, and I expect you'd probably have to travel into London. There are obviously a lot of barristers' chambers in London, but as I say, finding one that will give you a mini pupillage may be difficult. It also may be difficult for you to get into London from a time and cost perspective. A better first option may be for you to email Guildford Chambers in Reading. Their website does say that they only offer mini pupillages to those who have completed the first two years of their undergraduate degree, but there's no harm in asking.

In terms of other work experience, email your local courts to see if you can shadow a judge. That's called marshalling, and may be something you can do. Courts and judges tend to be much more flexible in the work experience they offer, so you might have more success there.
Reply 2
Original post by Crazy Jamie
It's unlikely that anyone on here will have knowledge of the firms on Slough specifically. The better option for you would simply be to email firms that are close to you and see what they say. Smaller high street firms are likely to be more flexible than bigger firms anyway, so you may have success with that.

Barristers chambers' are a little more difficult because the majority only offer mini pupillages (which is the official term for work experience with a barrister) to university undergraduates and not A-Level students. I'm also not aware of any barristers' chambers that are specifically in Slough, and I expect you'd probably have to travel into London. There are obviously a lot of barristers' chambers in London, but as I say, finding one that will give you a mini pupillage may be difficult. It also may be difficult for you to get into London from a time and cost perspective. A better first option may be for you to email Guildford Chambers in Reading. Their website does say that they only offer mini pupillages to those who have completed the first two years of their undergraduate degree, but there's no harm in asking.

In terms of other work experience, email your local courts to see if you can shadow a judge. That's called marshalling, and may be something you can do. Courts and judges tend to be much more flexible in the work experience they offer, so you might have more success there.

I will definitely be emailing judges now. I did not know that was an option before, so thank you so much!!
Original post by maheen001
Hi,
I wanted to ask if anyone knows of a firm that will allow me to do work experience in Slough? Or shadow a barrister?
And if not, then what other things can I do for any form of experience? I do not meet the eligibility criteria for many work experience companies due to not being disadvantaged.
This is specific for Year 12 please.
Thank you!

Hi! If you follow this link then it should help you to find some legal work experience for Year 12 students I hope this helps :smile: https://www.thelawyerportal.com/study-law/law-work-experience/law-work-experience-year-12/#:~:text=Year%2012%20Law%20Work%20Experience%20Shadowing,day%2Dto%2Dday%20activities

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending