The Student Room Group

When do you think they will stop making DVDs?

Scroll to see replies

DVDs have still got a bit of life in them yet I reckon... I know very few people who exclusively buy Blu-rays over DVDs
I have a zillion DVDs and just got a blu ray player, am I going to replace all my DVDs with blu rays- no.

Will I stop buying DVDs? not completely but I will be more selective on what I do purchase on either format.. I can also download HD movies from iTunes and hook up my macbook pro to my HD TV so sometimes there won't be need to purchase a physical item. Although, it's interesting to note that some films are doing sets that contain dvd, blu ray and digital copy..
Reply 22
Not too soon hopefully- I can't be bothered buying a blu-ray player.

Nice to know that the normal DVDs will still work on a blu-ray player though, so one doesn't have to update their entire DVD collection.
Reply 23
When they finally make glasses which project the film onto the lenses, with surround sound coming out of the frames.
Reply 24
What the hell is a DVD? Can't be dealing with all this new-fangled technology. :colonhash:
When Xbox and Nintendo bring out there new consoles
Original post by channy

Original post by channy
When they finally make glasses which project the film onto the lenses, with surround sound coming out of the frames.

Can't we do away with all of that physicality and just have a nice neat implant?
Reply 27
Original post by Phalanges
Can't we do away with all of that physicality and just have a nice neat implant?

Coincidentally, I got Neuromancer for Christmas, really looking forward to it; once exams are over...

i am ur frend! :smile:
I am so stressing when the time comes that DVDs won't be sold anymore :frown: What am I going to do with all my DVDs?
Reply 29
They'll stop making DVDs when Blu Ray disks and players are as cheap or cheaper than DVDs and DVD players are now, probably.

Hopefully that will be soonish as I like blu rays (although the prospect of re-buying every DVD in the house is making my wallet quiver in fear, so hopefully blu ray players and the like will continue to play DVDs for the foreseeable future)
Reply 30
Original post by Mr Smurf
When do you think DVDs will no longer be made and all films will come out on Blu-ray? Just like how VHS tapes were replaced completely by DVDs.

Interesting question. A decade or so sounds about right. Even more interesting is how long Blu-ray will last, I've read somewhere that 'they' are already developing the next 'true ray' or 'ultra-definition' (or whatever it's called) format.

There's also speculation that downloading and streaming of movies will take off in the next few years and render all 'physical' systems of relatively little importance - in the same way that mp3/itunes have seriously impacted on the CD market.
Reply 31
Doesn't really bother me. Torrents and vlc player = Amazing quality.
Original post by SAK.A
Doesn't really bother me. Torrents and vlc player = Amazing quality.

:ditto:
Not for a LONG time. Blu-ray doesn't have anywhere near the foothold that dvds had in the same amount of time.

Quick Reply

Latest