The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3500
Original post by zigzog7
our bop is dress as your subject, anyone got any ideas for an engineer?

Robot?
Reply 3501
Original post by gasmask
Gotta get a Team Fortress 2 Engineer outfit.

"I solve problems. not problems like 'What is beauty?', because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy.
I solve practical problems. Fr'instance... How am I going to stop some big mean mother hubbard from tearing me a structurally superfluous new behind"

gotta love the engie.
Original post by zigzog7

Go as some kind of famous structure? Don't do what everyone in our year did; completely cop out by wearing a top hat and suit and coming as a 'generic engineer...'
Reply 3503
Original post by WeeNinja
"I solve problems. not problems like 'What is beauty?', because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy.
I solve practical problems. Fr'instance... How am I going to stop some big mean mother hubbard from tearing me a structurally superfluous new behind"

gotta love the engie.
It's the only reason to study engineering, other than that it allows you to live off the work of proper mathematicians. Oh, wait, I'm doing Computer Science...
Original post by zigzog7

The TF2 costume would be brilliant.

PPE is quite a difficult one to dress for, but I think I've got a good idea.
Original post by SamF1992

Thank goodness I'm doing History! Probably THE easiest subject to dress as, I have my Medieval dress already from another party I went to so I'm all set!
Reply 3506
Original post by SamF1992

Re-enact this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0nERTFo-Sk
Reply 3507
Original post by zigzog7

Your at Wadham aren't you? I haven't heard about a theme anywhere... if it is that, given that im doing medicine, any guesses on a costume :rolleyes:
Original post by Y.D
Your at Wadham aren't you? I haven't heard about a theme anywhere... if it is that, given that im doing medicine, any guesses on a costume :rolleyes:

it says it on the SU freshers page, also has the timetable for the week

http://su.wadham.ox.ac.uk/node/187

you could go as house, just need some jeans, a jacket, a scruffy shirt and a walking stick. Will break up the number of people wearing lab coats/surgical gowns.
Original post by Y.D

You could just go in your normal clothes and claim you've surpassed the other Doctors at the party and are now a Consultant . . .
Reply 3510
Original post by zigzog7
it says it on the SU freshers page, also has the timetable for the week

http://su.wadham.ox.ac.uk/node/187

you could go as house, just need some jeans, a jacket, a scruffy shirt and a walking stick. Will break up the number of people wearing lab coats/surgical gowns.

I saw that but it's last years, i''ve seen this years timetable and it's similar but a few new things, it doesn't say about a theme so it could be the same again
Original post by Y.D
I saw that but it's last years, i''ve seen this years timetable and it's similar but a few new things, it doesn't say about a theme so it could be the same again

Where do we find this year's timetable? Sorry for being extremely slow if it's obvious :tongue:

If it is the same costume theme I'll have to choose between two countries, or create some kind of German/Spanish hybrid!
Original post by Y.D

Yeh, I had this years timetable but the link seems to have died. I was told by my college mum the theme is dress as your subject again this year.
Reply 3513
Original post by BeckyIsOptimistic
Where do we find this year's timetable? Sorry for being extremely slow if it's obvious :tongue:

If it is the same costume theme I'll have to choose between two countries, or create some kind of German/Spanish hybrid!

I can't find it any more, I think the link died and i didn't save a copy... go for the hybrid definitely :biggrin:

Original post by zigzog7
Yeh, I had this years timetable but the link seems to have died. I was told by my college mum the theme is dress as your subject again this year.

Yeah I can't find it either anymore, i trust your mum lol, i'll have to start thinking of something other than lab coat and stethoscope.
All this chat about timetables is worrying me. Do we all have them already? Or, as an historian - who's doing a doss degree! - will I work it out in a couple of weeks' time? I suppose the only compulsory things I have are my tutorials.
Reply 3515
Original post by deFossard
All this chat about timetables is worrying me. Do we all have them already? Or, as an historian - who's doing a doss degree! - will I work it out in a couple of weeks' time? I suppose the only compulsory things I have are my tutorials.

These are freshers week timetables, not timetables for tutorials or lectures or anything.
Original post by deFossard

You'll get your lecture list in your pidge when you arrive, and you'll work out your tute times with your tutor when you meet them in Freshers. So don't worry about it yet :wink: Most Michaelmas lectures are once a day Mon-Fri at 12 noon, which gives you plenty of time to work in the morning but is a pain in the arse for getting back for lunch. Don't suppose you'll have that problem at Magdalen but at Catz I had to sprint back every day so that the cake wasn't gone already... Suppose it did do wonders for my fitness level, what with the cake and all :rolleyes:
Original post by Incarnadine91
..Most Michaelmas lectures are once a day Mon-Fri at 12 noon, which gives you plenty of time to work in the morning but is a pain in the arse for getting back for lunch. Don't suppose you'll have that problem at Magdalen..

Schools is just about the only place in Oxford that is within hiking distance of Magdalen though :tongue: If deFoss plans to visit the Sackler during Michaelmas he should really be starting out about now :smile:
Original post by shoshin
Schools is just about the only place in Oxford that is within hiking distance of Magdalen though :tongue: If deFoss plans to visit the Sackler during Michaelmas he should really be starting out about now :smile:

True :wink: On second thoughts, who needs the Sackler? Rad Cam all the way! :tongue:
Reply 3519
Nooo, the RadCam is awful! Just full of the Classicists not at the Sackler who flirt with eachother over the tops of their books and laptops. The tension is much too distracting! I hate to say it, but I think the most productive I've ever been was in a study carrel at the SSL. I did have trouble adjusting back to natural light when I finally emerged though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending