The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Revolution is my Name
I hope everyone at Oxford has awesome names like Constantine Louloudis :daydreaming:

I laughed when they interviewed him :tongue:

All the rowers reminded me of a slightly more competent looking Boris Johnson :s-smilie:

On the bright side...YEY we won the boat race!

('We' being the people who may or may not be going to Oxford next year)
Original post by EdmundB
It depends. Does Balliol have banded accommodation or do you pay the same regardless of what room you get? If it's the latter you will probably just be allocated a room for your first year. If there are price bands then I would imagine you will be given the chance to choose which one you would like. There's no hurry, though, so don't worry about not having heard anything!

Thank you! That helps a lot.
Reply 1042
Original post by Lucius
Just posted eight pictures of my beautiful face (:rolleyes:)to the Christ Church admissions office, on top of the six that Hertford asked for pre-interview. I'm half expecting to visit Oxford and find pictures of myself on every street corner :biggrin:

Oh, is that YOU?!
Original post by barefootfiona
Wow! Another Exonian, doing German! I think we should shake hands on camaraderie :smile: We'll be seeing plenty of each other in the next for years.

I agree :smile: This makes me extra pleased that we'll both be oging to Exeter! So -- Hullo you :smile: What's your name and whence have you came?

Woah! More Exonians! It's great to have a 1st year on the forum with us :smile:

And more! Exeter is clearly the place to be.

Let me introduce myself. I'm Fiona and I'm on a gap year. It happened like this -- the day the results came out and I realised I got in and therefore would have to go to Oxford, I panicked, decided I needed a year to work through depression and to decide if I even wanted to go to University, never mind Oxford. My fellow (who cob007 has maybe met in the German interview?) was really understanding and I'm happy that it was the right decision to make

It's taken me a good 12 months to come round to the fact that I'll be studying at Oxford (it started at "oh no, do I have to, why doesn't Edinburgh want me?" and worked its way through "oh all right then", "well, I do like the city..." to now almost looking forward to it :P). I realise it's a bit unorthodox not to have hoped and dreamed for years about Oxford, but I'll take it as it comes and won't knock it till I've tried it.

What about you? What's your Oxford story - how did the interview go? Do you have any reservations? What are you most looking forward to? And most importantly, did you see the garden? :O

Edit: I'm worried I've come off ungrateful above. Just to clarify: I'm upbeat and chipper! Not grouchy and petulant. You understand how the internet can mess these things up. :biggrin:

What about you guys?

Hey Fiona!

I am Susie and I am on a gap year too! I failed to get in when I applied to Oxford for the first time. I decided that I really wanted to go to Oxford, so applied this year and got into Exeter for Maths! So I didnt plan to take a gap year originally, but I would do anything to go to OXFORD!!! I am really excited!! Exeter is beautiful!!

One of my interviews was really scary. One interviewer basically shouted and sighed at me... for not being able to use any of the hints he gave me. I hope I dont get the top floor when I go to Exeter, because I had such a hard time going up and down the stairs. haha

Cannot wait to see you when I get there!! xx
Original post by Sangin Know
Hey Fiona!

I am Susie and I am on a gap year too! I failed to get in when I applied to Oxford for the first time. I decided that I really wanted to go to Oxford, so applied this year and got into Exeter for Maths! So I didnt plan to take a gap year originally, but I would do anything to go to OXFORD!!! I am really excited!! Exeter is beautiful!!

One of my interviews was really scary. One interviewer basically shouted and sighed at me... for not being able to use any of the hints he gave me. I hope I dont get the top floor when I go to Exeter, because I had such a hard time going up and down the stairs. haha

Cannot wait to see you when I get there!! xx

Congratulations! I'm glad you're really excited.

I wouldn't mind which floor I'm on, I just know I don't want a room facing Turl street because it would be so dark :smile:
Reply 1045
Original post by barefootfiona

Let me introduce myself. I'm Fiona and I'm on a gap year. It happened like this -- the day the results came out and I realised I got in and therefore would have to go to Oxford, I panicked, decided I needed a year to work through depression and to decide if I even wanted to go to University, never mind Oxford. My fellow (who cob007 has maybe met in the German interview?) was really understanding and I'm happy that it was the right decision to make

It's taken me a good 12 months to come round to the fact that I'll be studying at Oxford (it started at "oh no, do I have to, why doesn't Edinburgh want me?" and worked its way through "oh all right then", "well, I do like the city..." to now almost looking forward to it :P). I realise it's a bit unorthodox not to have hoped and dreamed for years about Oxford, but I'll take it as it comes and won't knock it till I've tried it.

What about you? What's your Oxford story - how did the interview go? Do you have any reservations? What are you most looking forward to? And most importantly, did you see the garden? :O

Edit: I'm worried I've come off ungrateful above. Just to clarify: I'm upbeat and chipper! Not grouchy and petulant. You understand how the internet can mess these things up. :biggrin:

What about you guys?

Hey Fiona :smile: I am also someone who hasn't been, as it were, dreaming about Oxford for years!

I'm 19, doing an art foundation at the moment. Applying to Oxford had never even crossed my mind until mid September (believe it or not). For a start, I didn't think my IB Diploma score would even be Oxbridge standard until results day!

But mainly, I was unsure about what kind of degree I wanted to do - that's why I applied to do foundation course. I had always been pretty set on doing some kind of design course - particularly theatre design.

But a few weeks into the foundation, I realised how much I loved fine art. I had always avoided considering it before because I had this view that it would be a bit of a pointless degree - I wanted to come out of university having done something that would make me employable. But I remember having this momentary epiphany, literally just thinking 'hang on, why don't I just try and do what I love? and if it doesn't work out, so what?'

So, I was pretty unsure about applying to Oxford - because I felt like I was taking a risk, jumping at it without having enough time to really consider it. I had actually missed all the open days by the time I first looked at the course! I was also really unsure as I found it quite unfathomable that Oxford could possibly think that I was good enough.

But I just went for it, in a disgustingly last minute manner, making the final decision just days before oct 15th!

But having sent the application, and having visited a few times since (and of course having been offered a place - at Catz) I am completely and utterly certain that it was the right choice. I felt so comfortable, happy and at home during the interview period, I met such amazing people, and just loved everything about it!

I am incredibly indebted to my tutor, for having boosted my self confidence and been so certain that I had a chance, and basically encouraging me to apply!

Anyway, I am ridiculously excited about it now! Sorry for the long post, and I really hope that I haven't angered people with my rambling about lack of confidence and my last minute application... :rolleyes:
Original post by -mai-
Hey Fiona :smile: I am also someone who hasn't been, as it were, dreaming about Oxford for years!

I'm 19, doing an art foundation at the moment. Applying to Oxford had never even crossed my mind until mid September (believe it or not). For a start, I didn't think my IB Diploma score would even be Oxbridge standard until results day!

But mainly, I was unsure about what kind of degree I wanted to do - that's why I applied to do foundation course. I had always been pretty set on doing some kind of design course - particularly theatre design.

But a few weeks into the foundation, I realised how much I loved fine art. I had always avoided considering it before because I had this view that it would be a bit of a pointless degree - I wanted to come out of university having done something that would make me employable. But I remember having this momentary epiphany, literally just thinking 'hang on, why don't I just try and do what I love? and if it doesn't work out, so what?'

So, I was pretty unsure about applying to Oxford - because I felt like I was taking a risk, jumping at it without having enough time to really consider it. I had actually missed all the open days by the time I first looked at the course! I was also really unsure as I found it quite unfathomable that Oxford could possibly think that I was good enough.

But I just went for it, in a disgustingly last minute manner, making the final decision just days before oct 15th!

But having sent the application, and having visited a few times since (and of course having been offered a place - at Catz) I am completely and utterly certain that it was the right choice. I felt so comfortable, happy and at home during the interview period, I met such amazing people, and just loved everything about it!

I am incredibly indebted to my tutor, for having boosted my self confidence and been so certain that I had a chance, and basically encouraging me to apply!

Anyway, I am ridiculously excited about it now! Sorry for the long post, and I really hope that I haven't angered people with my rambling about lack of confidence and my last minute application... :rolleyes:

That's wonderful! I really admire that you just went for your dream :smile: I know too many people who decided not to study fine art and instead went for French, Textile Design, or even Engineering. So congratulations on it working out for you!
Do gap year students get a reading lists as well as new applicants?

Last year, I received my reading list for German a few weeks after accepting my offer... Have any gap year students any idea about this? I'm worried that my reading list will have changed somewhat.
I emailed my best friend the admissions tutor asking for a reading list and she forwarded my email on to someone who told me it hadn't been written up yet... mahuuusive pain as I'm going travelling soon so probably won't get reading till I get back :s
Original post by itsmeanna
I emailed my best friend the admissions tutor asking for a reading list and she forwarded my email on to someone who told me it hadn't been written up yet... mahuuusive pain as I'm going travelling soon so probably won't get reading till I get back :s

That reminds me - I emailed the admissions office of Exeter with a question and got a reply saying my query had been forwarded to someone else, but that was a week ago and I haven't heard back yet :s
Any French offer holders from St. John's received their reading lists? I had mine today and groaned when I saw what I had to do over the summer... plus I'm still waiting for my Linguistics reading list too. Ho hum.
Hi guys! quick question for the medics - when you apply for student finance, does your course code come up as BMBS and Medical Sciences? because that's what mine said on the letter, even though it was different on the website /: quote me if you reply! :smile:

on a more general note... yaaaaaaay oxford x
Original post by Backslash
I got rejected by Durham today...! But at least I can FINALLY firm Oxford! What is everyone else putting for their insurance (if you don't have an unconditional)?

Sheffield here, AAB

It feels risky :eek:
I got rejected by Durham today...! But at least I can FINALLY firm Oxford! What is everyone else putting for their insurance (if you don't have an unconditional)?

St. Andrews, AAB :s-smilie:.
Reply 1054
I'm thinking St Andrew's as my insurance which is also AAB... it's a tough choice though especially since it doesn't look like I'm going to make the Oxford offer at the moment :frown:

Feeling very nervous about my offer as well! I need an A in history, but I got a B in AS :angry: At least my Insurance choice (Lancaster) would let me in with a B in history, but that's really no consolation if it actually happened in August :frown:

AAB/ABB at Bath depending on whether I get an A in chemistry or not. :eek2:
But WOO for firming Oxford! :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Finally got my rejection from LSE today but totally firmed Oxford (E&M at Balliol) Woooooo :smile:
Reply 1057
Original post by The Ragtastic One
Finally got my rejection from LSE today but totally firmed Oxford (E&M at Balliol) Woooooo :smile:

I got rejected by LSE too, haha, but woooo for firming oxford :biggrin:
My insurance is AAB too (Nottingham)
Perhaps spending less time on TSR and more time revising will mean that it doesn't matter where we pick as an insurance! Haha :smile:

Haha! :grin: Definitely! Except I just can't resist the urge to log in these days..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending