The Student Room Group

Slade School of Fine Art Application Advice

Scroll to see replies

Christ, you have so much work! If you don't get an interview I will lose hope in the system as I can't see how they could fault it all? Seriously!

I put my work all on white A1 cartridge sheets on... I don't know if that was a bad idea? It was perhaps more photographed pieces then the physical item because most were either too big or an instillation...

who knows what they will think - what did you think they were looking for when you put yours together?
Original post by Artfanatic
Christ, you have so much work! If you don't get an interview I will lose hope in the system as I can't see how they could fault it all? Seriously!

I put my work all on white A1 cartridge sheets on... I don't know if that was a bad idea? It was perhaps more photographed pieces then the physical item because most were either too big or an instillation...

who knows what they will think - what did you think they were looking for when you put yours together?

haha it was sort of funny though. As i know people that are struggling to find things to put in their portfolios and i'm just like... I have tooooooooooo much!!! Makes it hard to narrow down. I'm pretty sure I won't get an interview though. Although when I opened up the box I put my stuff in everything was moved around... like a lot.

No that's a good idea. I'd say 98% of the ones I saw where A1 portfolios and they will have put their work on it too. I have heard people have gotten in just with photographed work. So it will be okay, as long as you photographed it well.

I just tried to show I had conceptual ideas, although I didn't explain any of them... woops. I tried to show I had style and art was important to me as I'd practiced it everyday. It was difficult I suppose. I also tried to be varied at the same time. I didn't put any life drawing in though... I remember at the talk I had there they said "if you're not interested in doing it as a piece for yourself, don't put it in." So I left it out. So I just put it all the things I practice daily: Sculpture, illustration. I did 4 pages of photography... but I'm not sure they're too generic.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/sommerackerman/15733639894/in/set-72157648121640194
https://www.flickr.com/photos/sommerackerman/16356070805/in/set-72157648121640194
https://www.flickr.com/photos/sommerackerman/16353566471/in/set-72157648121640194
https://www.flickr.com/photos/sommerackerman/15735352663/in/set-72157648121640194
They're a bit cheesy don't you think?
I think what I was trying to show was myself? does that make sense. Like the things I felt most related to me and what I could talk about.
I think what will have let me down is my bad presentation.... I mean it was pretty awful. haha

What about you?
Original post by Notwinter
haha it was sort of funny though. As i know people that are struggling to find things to put in their portfolios and i'm just like... I have tooooooooooo much!!! Makes it hard to narrow down. I'm pretty sure I won't get an interview though. Although when I opened up the box I put my stuff in everything was moved around... like a lot.

No that's a good idea. I'd say 98% of the ones I saw where A1 portfolios and they will have put their work on it too. I have heard people have gotten in just with photographed work. So it will be okay, as long as you photographed it well.

I just tried to show I had conceptual ideas, although I didn't explain any of them... woops. I tried to show I had style and art was important to me as I'd practiced it everyday. It was difficult I suppose. I also tried to be varied at the same time. I didn't put any life drawing in though... I remember at the talk I had there they said "if you're not interested in doing it as a piece for yourself, don't put it in." So I left it out. So I just put it all the things I practice daily: Sculpture, illustration. I did 4 pages of photography... but I'm not sure they're too generic.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/sommerackerman/15733639894/in/set-72157648121640194
https://www.flickr.com/photos/sommerackerman/16356070805/in/set-72157648121640194
https://www.flickr.com/photos/sommerackerman/16353566471/in/set-72157648121640194
https://www.flickr.com/photos/sommerackerman/15735352663/in/set-72157648121640194
They're a bit cheesy don't you think?
I think what I was trying to show was myself? does that make sense. Like the things I felt most related to me and what I could talk about.
I think what will have let me down is my bad presentation.... I mean it was pretty awful. haha

What about you?

Yeah I completely agree with you to put in the work you want! I didn't put any of my work in from my exam project last year because it was too illustration based for me. I put two different projects in and then a small bit of a work I did recently with a small sketchbook.

I imagine if its really different from your portfolio sent in that you have a good chance then! Unless they just have dispensers for each portfolio and all the work is on a conveyor belt which they pick up and just reassemble (joking haha). No I am sure that's a very positive sign! :smile:
Yeah I completely agree with you to put in the work you want! I didn't put any of my work in from my exam project last year because it was too illustration based for me. I put two different projects in and then a small bit of a work I did recently with a small sketchbook.

I imagine if its really different from your portfolio sent in that you have a good chance then! Unless they just have dispensers for each portfolio and all the work is on a conveyor belt which they pick up and just reassemble (joking haha). No I am sure that's a very positive sign! :smile:

Good idea! So how many pieces was that? I think I had about 25 including the sketchbooks.

I'll take the pic down after you've seen it, but here is the box I presented it in:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/sommerackerman/16504218475/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/sommerackerman/15881658604/
sorry literally just photographed it on my phone

No one from school liked it, they thought it was really disgusting. I mean... it is. but I've done it now. Also the printer was broken so there's a small red line going through each of the print outs. And I wrote on them in a blunt pencil.... but that's the way I am. I'm a messy person and I do things my own way. So I guess if they don't take me solely on that, then I'm not suited to them. I just don't like things by the rules haha

Normally I wouldn't really share all my stuff on a forum thread. But I know that I spent ages and ages looking at other people's and if it somehow help anyone next year or even in 5 years then it will please me haha
Good idea! So how many pieces was that? I think I had about 25 including the sketchbooks.

I'll take the pic down after you've seen it, but here is the box I presented it in:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/sommerackerman/16504218475/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/sommerackerman/15881658604/
sorry literally just photographed it on my phone

No one from school liked it, they thought it was really disgusting. I mean... it is. but I've done it now. Also the printer was broken so there's a small red line going through each of the print outs. And I wrote on them in a blunt pencil.... but that's the way I am. I'm a messy person and I do things my own way. So I guess if they don't take me solely on that, then I'm not suited to them. I just don't like things by the rules haha

Normally I wouldn't really share all my stuff on a forum thread. But I know that I spent ages and ages looking at other people's and if it somehow help anyone next year or even in 5 years then it will please me haha

I love it! It's certainly a way to stand out even before its open! It's bizarre how you thought you wanted to send that but I suppose that will show them just a bit more of you! I also wrote in blunt pencil at last minute - something I rarely do but I had an unfinished sketchbook for my current project and thought I needed a little annotation.

It will certainly tell you a lot about the Slade whether interview or not. With so many indicators it will make you kind of able to map a mental picture of what works for them and not if that makes sense?

I think I had about 30 pieces all together and 3 sketchbooks. I kind of wish I hadn't put in two of my earlier pieces at the end because they were very controlled drawings which they will probably find boring.. ahhh
I love it! It's certainly a way to stand out even before its open! It's bizarre how you thought you wanted to send that but I suppose that will show them just a bit more of you! I also wrote in blunt pencil at last minute - something I rarely do but I had an unfinished sketchbook for my current project and thought I needed a little annotation.

It will certainly tell you a lot about the Slade whether interview or not. With so many indicators it will make you kind of able to map a mental picture of what works for them and not if that makes sense?

I think I had about 30 pieces all together and 3 sketchbooks. I kind of wish I hadn't put in two of my earlier pieces at the end because they were very controlled drawings which they will probably find boring.. ahhh

Haha, I was messing about with latex and was just a bit like. Whatever.. it feels okay. It's an old card box. Blunt pencil is okay if it's in a book/
Yes! I know what you mean. But I mean if I don't get an interview I will never know why. There's only a 10% chance of getting one and I have no hope.

Wow 33 pieces! Like 30 A1 pieces of paper. Or did you have 31 amongst fewer pages? Were you told at school to put your best pieces at the front and the back so they would start and end on a good note? Don't worry about it though. I'm sure they showed technical skill. And having 3 sketchbooks sounds good.

I think I'm obsessed with slade atm.... all I can think about. haha
Haha, I was messing about with latex and was just a bit like. Whatever.. it feels okay. It's an old card box. Blunt pencil is okay if it's in a book/
Yes! I know what you mean. But I mean if I don't get an interview I will never know why. There's only a 10% chance of getting one and I have no hope.

Wow 33 pieces! Like 30 A1 pieces of paper. Or did you have 31 amongst fewer pages? Were you told at school to put your best pieces at the front and the back so they would start and end on a good note? Don't worry about it though. I'm sure they showed technical skill. And having 3 sketchbooks sounds good.

I think I'm obsessed with slade atm.... all I can think about. haha

My school didn't help me at all. The art department is appalling so I have been fending for myself. I had my most recent work at the front and oldest at the back - but it was basically two projects with the first then the last. Who know's. It's a learning curve so it will teach me right and wrong to reapply next year probably with a foundation.

I had about 16 pages I think, but many had 2 - 3 pieces on each if they were linked a lot just so it flowed better. I doubt I will receive an interview but I don't mind doing a foundation degree first :smile:

Can you put pieces on this chat and then remove them or not? I will show you one of my older pieces I was unsure on if so :P
My school didn't help me at all. The art department is appalling so I have been fending for myself. I had my most recent work at the front and oldest at the back - but it was basically two projects with the first then the last. Who know's. It's a learning curve so it will teach me right and wrong to reapply next year probably with a foundation.

I had about 16 pages I think, but many had 2 - 3 pieces on each if they were linked a lot just so it flowed better. I doubt I will receive an interview but I don't mind doing a foundation degree first :smile:

Can you put pieces on this chat and then remove them or not? I will show you one of my older pieces I was unsure on if so :P

oh I see! Sounds very unhelpful :-(
Have you applied for foundation yet?

oh 16 pages if a good number. Not sure about the ordering though.

Send me a private message it's the little envelope at the top. Next to TSR pro.
but if i'm explaining it badly. Yes you can delete after. You can edit your reply :-) then take it off. It says edit under the post after you make it
oh I see! Sounds very unhelpful :-(
Have you applied for foundation yet?

oh 16 pages if a good number. Not sure about the ordering though.

Send me a private message it's the little envelope at the top. Next to TSR pro.
but if i'm explaining it badly. Yes you can delete after. You can edit your reply :-) then take it off. It says edit under the post after you make it

sorry for got to quote you ^

oh yeah I put a piece in that I mentioned in my personal starement! It was my starter piece.

That's a really good drawing! I like all the different textures and colours
Is it finished? I'm just asking because of the white space but I'm sure it's supposed to be like that.

Do you mainly draw? Was it like a theme?

Even if you guys don't get an interview you will be in exceptionally good stead for application come foundation year (the year I'm in). I think it's like 1/5 of those accepted are from A levels (horrible odds again I know) but seriously foundation is so worth it and your work changes enormously though whether it improves or not is debatable.
oh yeah I put a piece in that I mentioned in my personal starement! It was my starter piece.

That's a really good drawing! I like all the different textures and colours
Is it finished? I'm just asking because of the white space but I'm sure it's supposed to be like that.

Do you mainly draw? Was it like a theme?

My starter piece was an unfinished installation with drawing and sculpture (not sure what they will think about that)

Yeah I always focus around drawing but this was over a year a go now so I would say I have changed a lot but still have the roots of drawing flowing everywhere. I doubt they are interested in drawing my impression was more painting based. Who knows! Yeah it is pretty much finished, I don't plan on revisiting it anyway.
My starter piece was an unfinished installation with drawing and sculpture (not sure what they will think about that)

Yeah I always focus around drawing but this was over a year a go now so I would say I have changed a lot but still have the roots of drawing flowing everywhere. I doubt they are interested in drawing my impression was more painting based. Who knows! Yeah it is pretty much finished, I don't plan on revisiting it anyway.

oh was it clear it was unfinished? I know through other people that they want an emphasis on finished pieces as they want outcomes. Which is strange because all other unis don't mind unfinished work.
Can I see some of your sculptures/installations?
oh was it clear it was unfinished? I know through other people that they want an emphasis on finished pieces as they want outcomes. Which is strange because all other unis don't mind unfinished work.
Can I see some of your sculptures/installations?

I think it would be clear. I did write it was unfinished.

It was 3 drawings hung from the ceiling, depicting myself on a plastic crate in charcoal. There was only 2 of 3 sculptures which stand in front of them. I don't actually have an image at hand but I will try get one soon! It's quite similar to some of Marc Quinn's work.
I think it would be clear. I did write it was unfinished.

It was 3 drawings hung from the ceiling, depicting myself on a plastic crate in charcoal. There was only 2 of 3 sculptures which stand in front of them. I don't actually have an image at hand but I will try get one soon! It's quite similar to some of Marc Quinn's work.

oh good!
This sounds really interesting. Was this for a particular project?

I do like Marc Quinn.

only one week tomorrow yay
Original post by bertiewallace123
Even if you guys don't get an interview you will be in exceptionally good stead for application come foundation year (the year I'm in). I think it's like 1/5 of those accepted are from A levels (horrible odds again I know) but seriously foundation is so worth it and your work changes enormously though whether it improves or not is debatable.

If I don't get in I'm going to go to Leeds. But I thought about reapplying, but I'm pretty sure I won't go a foundation. I'm doing a BTEC at an arts school and we're advised not to do one really because it's basically the same. I'm not sure what it's like at other schools, but it's really full on and independent. Thanks though! Good luck to you
oh good!
This sounds really interesting. Was this for a particular project?

I do like Marc Quinn.

only one week tomorrow yay

Yeah I was looking at a more scientific concept investigating things like socio-biology and just analyzing how actual laws of science kind of can be created (not a good explanation but the idea is sciency haha), anyway I was looking at his plaster casts so originally thought about that - pictured below

yet I became more inspired by his more expressive sculptures made out of just random materials. That's one of the only pictures I have but that piece went in my portfolio with other work on a page I think!

One week tomorrow? As in one week till we could find out? D:
(edited 9 years ago)
wow that's really good. I like the facial expression. and the concept is really cool too.
Potentially we could start finding out the 19th.....

thanks! It is actually my own face I did so it was really tricky. My first attempt at plaster casting after buying some materials on the internet and funnily enough I nearly killed myself. I had begun sniffing the alginate up my nose so it was pretty scary haha

I hope we do find out then life can return to a less stressful and worrying period again. I am just thrilled I will be getting feedback on something. It's nice to know whether its a yes or a no as it's just information you can't find out anywhere else if you understand what I mean? :smile:
thanks! It is actually my own face I did so it was really tricky. My first attempt at plaster casting after buying some materials on the internet and funnily enough I nearly killed myself. I had begun sniffing the alginate up my nose so it was pretty scary haha

I hope we do find out then life can return to a less stressful and worrying period again. I am just thrilled I will be getting feedback on something. It's nice to know whether its a yes or a no as it's just information you can't find out anywhere else if you understand what I mean? :smile:

Oh I know what you mean! I was making a plaster sculpture the other day and I some how inhaled sooo much dust i thought I was going to die. I've heard some pretty bad horror stories though of people having their fingers burned off! a bit scary.
Must have been hard to do your own face!

Yes, all I am is counting down the days/hours. It's sooo soon yet it feels so far away. Hopefully if I don't get in I can ask for feedback, I'm not sure they do that. but it would be nice to know. But yeah I just want an answer, whatever it is.

Quick Reply

Latest