The Student Room Group

The Welfare state

Given the controversy of the top up fees bill as well as the state of the NHS, I thought I would bring up the whole issue of the welfare state. Are any governments at fault for the NHS, given the increasing age of the general population? Should University education be open for all or should there be a mix of well-recognised vocational courses linked to industry as well as a compact, quality academic tertiary education sector? Do the relative benefits of creating greater social cohension by the dole outweigh the economic losses in terms of what else these funds may have gone towards? Would you agree that during a state of economic recession, the tendency of the government to be forced to increase benefit expenditure can actually be beneficial as the economy is reflated? Should the public sector slants towards increasing privatisation? These are not necessarily views held by me so I thought I would just raise some issues.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Legalise euthanasia, then you won't be giving healthcare to people who aren't exactly grateful for it.
ZJuwelH
Legalise euthanasia, then you won't be giving healthcare to people who aren't exactly grateful for it.

Slippery slope arguments...

Anyway, while I would say that the government have mismanaged the NHS in some ways, the cannot be blamed totally. The sheer range of treatments available now mean it can never be a fully comprehensive service. We could double spending, and double it again and again, and still all that money could be spent...easily.
Reply 3
Yeah, am grateful for the NHS, would be scared to live in a country without one like the US
Reply 4
Yet the American health system receives more funding from the state in relative terms...discuss
Reply 5
Blamps
Yet the American health system receives more funding from the state in relative terms...discuss

In relative terms? You mean, per person? I would be surprised. Where is that statistic from?
Reply 6
hitchhiker_13
Slippery slope arguments...

Anyway, while I would say that the government have mismanaged the NHS in some ways, the cannot be blamed totally. The sheer range of treatments available now mean it can never be a fully comprehensive service. We could double spending, and double it again and again, and still all that money could be spent...easily.

The # 1 reason that the NHS is failing is because anything that is "free" soon runs out, as you would know if you ever tried to buy something for nothing.
Reply 7
Howard
The # 1 reason that the NHS is failing is because anything that is "free" soon runs out, as you would know if you ever tried to buy something for nothing.

Yes, I go for a kidney transplant EVERYDAY because it's freeeeeeee! :smile:
Reply 8
fishpaste
Yeah, am grateful for the NHS, would be scared to live in a country without one like the US

Well, that depends if you carry health insurance or not.

With insurance I can expect to live 5 years longer if I get treated for lung cancer in the US than in the UK. That's if I die. But, in addittion the chances of living are greater.
Reply 9
fishpaste
Yes, I go for a kidney transplant EVERYDAY because it's freeeeeeee! :smile:

Don't be ridiculous.
Reply 10
Blamps

Nothing to discuss because it's not true.
Reply 11
fishpaste
In relative terms? You mean, per person? I would be surprised. Where is that statistic from?

I think it is quite well known...I believe it is the same situation even for University education
Howard

With insurance I can expect to live 5 years longer if I get treated for lung cancer in the US than in the UK. That's if I die. But, in addittion the chances of living are greater.

Something like 40% of people don't though.
Reply 13
Howard
Nothing to discuss because it's not true.

How do you know?
Reply 14
Blamps
I think it is quite well known...I believe it is the same situation even for University education

Well, I must be living in the only part of the US where it isn't well known then. How extraordinary.
Reply 15
hitchhiker_13
Something like 40% of people don't though.

42% and that's tragic.
Reply 16
Blamps
How do you know?

Health Care Spending Rose 8.7 Percent in 2001
U.S. health care spending escalated to $1.4 trillion in 2001, an 8.7 percent increase over the 2000 cost.

The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services reported the figures Jan. 8 in its annual expenditure report. CMS also reported that health care spending averaged $5,035 per person in 2001, compared with $4,672 in 2000.

"While still the greatest in the world, our health care system is stretched and stressed to the point of nearly breaking," HHS Secretary Tommy Thompson said. Causes for the spending hike included an 8.3 percent rise in hospital spending, a 15.7 percent rise in prescription drug spending and an 8.6 percent rise in spending for physician services.

Public spending, including Medicare and Medicaid payments, accounted for 45 percent of national health expenditures. Spending for Medicaid reached $224.3 billion in 2001, an increase of 10.8 percent, the fastest growth rate since 1993. "If there ever was an argument for Medicare and Medicaid reform, this report is it," said CMS Administrator Tom Scully
Reply 17
Howard

But if you're one of the millions without insurance. You're rather screwed. You're also screwed if you have a long term illness, because insurance companies can refuse to cover you after you've had a condition for a said time. I think that's probably a can and not a do though, I guess.
Reply 18
Blamps
How do you know?

Because I live in America.
Reply 19
Howard
Don't be ridiculous.

But seriously, nobody gets healthcare for the fun of it. You either have cancer or you don't.

Latest

Trending

Trending