Mechanics 3 Question Watch

Jugu
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi guys,
I'm stuck on the very last part of this M3 question, does anyone know how to show that T=T0(2+cos x) ?

Here's the question:
A particle P, of mass m, is attached to a fixed point O by a light inextensible string of length a, and is executing complete circular revolutions in a verticle plane. Show that when OP is inclined at an angle x to the downward vertical, the tension T in the string is given by: T=mg(3cos x - 2) + (mu^2)/a

where u is the speed of P when it passes through its lowest point. Show that if 3T0 and T0 are the greatest and least tensions in the string during the motion:
u^2 = 8ag and T= T0(2+cos x)

I've managed to solve the first bits of the question, but I just can't get this last result. Any ideas? Thanks!
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Jugu)
Hi guys,
I'm stuck on the very last part of this M3 question, does anyone know how to show that T=T0(2+cos x) ?

Here's the question:
A particle P, of mass m, is attached to a fixed point O by a light inextensible string of length a, and is executing complete circular revolutions in a verticle plane. Show that when OP is inclined at an angle x to the downward vertical, the tension T in the string is given by: T=mg(3cos x - 2) + (mu^2)/a

where u is the speed of P when it passes through its lowest point. Show that if 3T0 and T0 are the greatest and least tensions in the string during the motion:
u^2 = 8ag and T= T0(2+cos x)

I've managed to solve the first bits of the question, but I just can't get this last result. Any ideas? Thanks!
T will be a maximum when x=0, and a minimum when x = 180.

So substitute into your equation for T to get two simultaneous equations.

Work out what mg is in terms of T0, and what (mu^2)/a is as well, and then sub back into the formula for T.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.74%
No - but I will (102)
7.67%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.84%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (635)
47.74%

Watched Threads