The Student Room Group

Latin A2 AHHHHH

Scroll to see replies

If I don't get into uni tomorrow it will be Latin's fault...
Reply 201
Original post by rtzj00
lse hopefully

whats your offer 3 A's?

yeah, what's yours? any a*s?
Reply 202
Original post by aliceb
I know, i thought that too. maybe they altered the verse paper boundaries because ppl had seen the ovid before?

Oh yes, quite possibly! I'm going to need a very high mark in the verse to make up for the disastrous prose! :frown:
Reply 203
Original post by rtzj00
Ye unfortunately 1 star 2 a's - doing law lol I see you live near my old school - do you know st.pauls?

yep, the orchestra i play in gives concerts there like once a year.
Reply 204
Original post by HollyEwart
Pm me your email, and anyone else, I have a tonne (I'm a little bit ocd about tacitus notes so have like a billion that your welcome to :smile:

Hiya. I'm struggling with Tacitus myself, and with the new latin teacher unable to teach effectively, I am quickly losing hope with getting my predicted A grade for the summer. I would very much appreciate if I were to be able to read over your notes, please? please? please? I'm desperate!!
Just checked last year's grade boundaries - 78 and 82 was 90 UMS in verse and prose respectively! Maybe I'll meet my Cambridge offer after all... (though I shouldn't get so cocky with mocks around the corner)
Original post by LeSacMagique
Just checked last year's grade boundaries - 78 and 82 was 90 UMS in verse and prose respectively! Maybe I'll meet my Cambridge offer after all... (though I shouldn't get so cocky with mocks around the corner)

where did you find this out? Do you have a link? :holmes:
Original post by medbh4805
where did you find this out? Do you have a link? :holmes:

http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/admin/ocr_60650_admin_units_at_a2_june_11.pdf

Looks like it was actually 81 last year for the prose. Neat. Ended up getting 45.5/50 and 33/50 in language/lit parts of my prose mock so hopefully I'll get my lit up a bit for the real thing...
http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/admin/ocr_60650_admin_units_at_a2_june_11.pdf

Looks like it was actually 81 last year for the prose. Neat. Ended up getting 45.5/50 and 33/50 in language/lit parts of my prose mock so hopefully I'll get my lit up a bit for the real thing...

Excellent :beard: That's not too bad actually, I was worried that they would be much higher. The examiners' reports are so harsh :colonhash:
Excellent :beard: That's not too bad actually, I was worried that they would be much higher. The examiners' reports are so harsh :colonhash:

I love this: "The unseen translation: most candidates were able to accrue at least a few marks on this question." 'At least a few marks' out of 30??
I love this: "The unseen translation: most candidates were able to accrue at least a few marks on this question." 'At least a few marks' out of 30??

Lol :rofl: I swear the reports are basically identical each year as well :s-smilie:
Reply 211
Any ideas on on the Livy and Vergil set texts? My teacher promised me the extract with Aeolus would come up...
Original post by lukewarm3
Any ideas on on the Livy and Vergil set texts? My teacher promised me the extract with Aeolus would come up...

Sorry, I do Tacitus and Catullus :o:

It's best to know the whole passage really well anyway :beard: Does anyone here also do Greek?
Lol :rofl: I swear the reports are basically identical each year as well :s-smilie:

Yeah though there's only been two years of this spec anyway so I guess there's not much room for variety. Looking at the reports I seem to do the exact opposite of what most people do - I struggle a bit with the lit side but do really well on the language :s-smilie:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by lukewarm3

No idea really. We're doing Tacitus and Virgil. I really hope Aeolus does come up - I translated that bit for a poetry translation competition so I know it like the back of my hand :cool:

Wouldn't be surprised if the essay is about a specific god or the gods in general though - the last two were about Aeneas and Rome so it seems an obvious choice.
Yeah though there's only been two years of this spec anyway so I guess there's not much room for variety. Looking at the reports I seem to do the exact opposite of what most people do - I struggle a bit with the lit side but do really well on the language :s-smilie:

It seems that the way to succeed with the lit is to take it line by line, while still addressing the question :beard: I'm most worried about timing if I'm honest :erm: I could see myself writing far too much for the lit questions...
It seems that the way to succeed with the lit is to take it line by line, while still addressing the question :beard: I'm most worried about timing if I'm honest :erm: I could see myself writing far too much for the lit questions...

Yeah I just never quite get the marks I'd like. I suspect my teacher is very harsh - he doesn't seem to use a mark-scheme, he just automatically seems to give a 'C/D' if I do something he doesn't like. The Virgil synoptic essays are pretty nice though.

Timing's OK for me - the examiners suggest that people who do the language parts first 'have the right idea', and I think it really helps because you can blitz through the language in 30 minutes and then have 45 minutes in the bank for each lit question. It's much better than at AS when the literature was all in one paper - that was awful for timing...
(edited 11 years ago)
Yeah I just never quite get the marks I'd like. I suspect my teacher is very harsh - he doesn't seem to use a mark-scheme, he just automatically seems to give a 'C/D' if I do something he doesn't like. The Virgil synoptic essays are pretty nice though.

Timing's OK for me - the examiners suggest that people who do the language parts first 'have the right idea', and I think it really helps because you can blitz through the language in 30 minutes and then have 45 minutes in the bank for each lit question. It's much better than at AS when the literature was all in one paper - that was awful for timing...

Sometimes having an overly harsh marker can be a good thing - pushes you more imo :colonhash: Greek is about two weeks before Latin though so I'm kinda more worried about it atm, especially since it seems no matter how much vocab I seem to learn I can never quite *everything* in the translations, unlike in Latin.

AS lit was so stressful :cry2: Though these exams are more pressure for me since my Oxford offer depends on getting As in Latin and Greek. I take it Camb didn't specify the subject you need the A* in then? :holmes:
Sometimes having an overly harsh marker can be a good thing - pushes you more imo :colonhash: Greek is about two weeks before Latin though so I'm kinda more worried about it atm, especially since it seems no matter how much vocab I seem to learn I can never quite *everything* in the translations, unlike in Latin.

AS lit was so stressful :cry2: Though these exams are more pressure for me since my Oxford offer depends on getting As in Latin and Greek. I take it Camb didn't specify the subject you need the A* in then? :holmes:

Oh yeah definitely. I was getting B/C grades all the way through Lit last year but ended up getting 91 UMS - similar in History. There are two people in my year doing Greek and they're pretty scared too - one of them actually skipped our prose mock because he didn't want to pollute his Greek lit knowledge with Latin lit revision. I totally bombed at Greek GCSE so respect for doing it at A2 :smile:

Yeah I can get the A* in whatever I want - I'd like to have one in English since it would be a bit awkward not to get one in the subject I'm going on to study but I think it's more likely I'll get one in Latin depending on how my coursework went. But surely A grades in Latin and Greek will be pretty easy if you did well at AS? I know I only need something like a mid-C in Latin this year to get an A which wouldn't be a big worry for me really..!
Oh yeah definitely. I was getting B/C grades all the way through Lit last year but ended up getting 91 UMS - similar in History. There are two people in my year doing Greek and they're pretty scared too - one of them actually skipped our prose mock because he didn't want to pollute his Greek lit knowledge with Latin lit revision. I totally bombed at Greek GCSE so respect for doing it at A2 :smile:

Thanks. I don't blame him - Greek is terrifying :ashamed2: I'm so scared for it tbh - I bombed in my Greek admissions test too, I think it was only doing well in the latin which saved me. ahhhhh pressure :afraid:

Yeah I can get the A* in whatever I want - I'd like to have one in English since it would be a bit awkward not to get one in the subject I'm going on to study but I think it's more likely I'll get one in Latin depending on how my coursework went. But surely A grades in Latin and Greek will be pretty easy if you did well at AS? I know I only need something like a mid-C in Latin this year to get an A which wouldn't be a big worry for me really..!

Fair enough re the English thing. Yeah I need mid-Cs, but unlike last year so much depends on analysis, whereas at AS you could get 100 UMS just from translation alone, and a substantial amount of marks in the lit simply from being able to translate the set texts :beard:
also i'd really like A*A* since I'm doing classics at uni :colondollar:
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest