The Student Room Group

GCSE Options Update

Hey everyone! So recently, I have made my GCSE options, but I have to consider my options again because one of the options do not fit into the timetable. I was supposed to do French, Latin, RS and History, but I cannot do Latin and my reserve is Classical Civilisation. I have seen that many Oxbridge applicants have a GCSE in Latin, and I have read that in other websites, Class Civ is seen as a 'softer' option. I really like Latin but I have no choice but to swap. Absolutely devastated. I would really appreciate your advice about this. Thanks all!
Reply 1
latin is really hard, especially the literature side of it so perhaps its a good thing that you can't do it? i do both classics and latin, and i would say i prefer classics. i've not really heard anything about it being considered as a 'softer' option, nor have i seen anything about lots of oxbridge applicants having a gcse in latin. i think uni's tend to focus more on your a-levels than your gcses; all they look for in gcses is good grades and perhaps some subjects that are relevant to your course. if you really want to do latin, i would change one of your other options. good luck xx
1)Classical Civilisation is much more interesting than Latin in my personal opinion. Granted that's subjective, but anyway...
2)There's no such thing as a "softer option".
3)You do not need a GCSE in Latin to go to Oxbridge.
Original post by aar4dhana
latin is really hard

Agreed
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 4
latin is really hard, especially the literature side of it so perhaps its a good thing that you can't do it? i do both classics and latin, and i would say i prefer classics. i've not really heard anything about it being considered as a 'softer' option, nor have i seen anything about lots of oxbridge applicants having a gcse in latin. i think uni's tend to focus more on your a-levels than your gcses; all they look for in gcses is good grades and perhaps some subjects that are relevant to your course. if you really want to do latin, i would change one of your other options. good luck xx

Thanks for the reply! I think the literature section is what everyone fears tbh! How is the lit in Latin compared to Class Civ? I wanted to do Latin because I enjoyed it and igt is a facilitating subject but my options cannot fit the timetable!!!
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
1)Classical Civilisation is much more interesting than Latin in my personal opinion. Granted that's subjective, but anyway...
2)There's no such thing as a "softer option".
3)You do not need a GCSE in Latin to go to Oxbridge.

Thanks for replying, really appreciate it! Do you know how the content is in Latin compared to Class Civ?
Original post by NormalBrit
Thanks for replying, really appreciate it! Do you know how the content is in Latin compared to Class Civ?

Unfortunately no I don't know, as I didn't do GCSE Latin.
I'm currently doing a Latin module as part of my Classical Studies uni course though (suitable for beginners so I would imagine it's comparable to a GCSE sort of level), hence my experience of knowing it's hard.

GCSE Classical Civilisation content I know really well though. Again, it's very subjective, but I find it interesting and therefore easy to remember. I mean, remembering crazy things like how the goddess Aphrodite was born from sea foam after a Titan chopped his penis off and threw it in the sea, is way funnier than trying to remember grammar rules and conjugations.
Reply 7
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
Unfortunately no I don't know, as I didn't do GCSE Latin.
I'm currently doing a Latin module as part of my Classical Studies uni course though (suitable for beginners so I would imagine it's comparable to a GCSE sort of level), hence my experience of knowing it's hard.

GCSE Classical Civilisation content I know really well though. Again, it's very subjective, but I find it interesting and therefore easy to remember. I mean, remembering crazy things like how the goddess Aphrodite was born from sea foam after a Titan chopped his penis off and threw it in the sea, is way funnier than trying to remember grammar rules and conjugations.

Lol I can relate. All the weird facts seem to immediately stick into my head.
Reply 8
Thanks for the reply! I think the literature section is what everyone fears tbh! How is the lit in Latin compared to Class Civ? I wanted to do Latin because I enjoyed it and igt is a facilitating subject but my options cannot fit the timetable!!!

i prefer the lit in classics compared to the lit in latin, mainly because it's not as in depth; you still do have to know your texts well, but you do not have to quote directly like you do in latin, and you do not have to analyse the language techniques used. i find classics more interesting because theres a wider range of things you learn about, whereas latin is just the language and memorising your set texts.
p.s. because not every school does latin, you can still learn latin in uni if you really want to! good luck with ur options, i'd love to know what you end up choosing! (:
Reply 9

i think faciliating subjects are more for a-levels, and if you're taking other facilitating subjects e.g stem or humanities or whatever then you shouldn't worry too much about not taking latin !
Don’t worry. I did both Latin and Greek up to a good level but didn’t do a gcse in either. I just found them really dull. Just do something that you will find interesting as I have friends that found Latin a bit of a pain as it is quite boring.

Hey everyone! So recently, I have made my GCSE options, but I have to consider my options again because one of the options do not fit into the timetable. I was supposed to do French, Latin, RS and History, but I cannot do Latin and my reserve is Classical Civilisation. I have seen that many Oxbridge applicants have a GCSE in Latin, and I have read that in other websites, Class Civ is seen as a 'softer' option. I really like Latin but I have no choice but to swap. Absolutely devastated. I would really appreciate your advice about this. Thanks all!
Reply 11

There are no 'facilitating' subjects ...

I can't believe people are telling you you have to have Latin - most schools don't even offer it!
Reply 12
i think faciliating subjects are more for a-levels, and if you're taking other facilitating subjects e.g stem or humanities or whatever then you shouldn't worry too much about not taking latin !

No, facilitating subjects do not exist - the idea was removed a number of years ago.
Reply 13

Thanks for the reply!
Reply 14
Original post by Muttley79
There are no 'facilitating' subjects ...

I can't believe people are telling you you have to have Latin - most schools don't even offer it!

That is true, but the teachers know I like Latin. They did not force me to! They just have a very strong sense of encouragement lol 😆. Anyways, I am doing Classical civilisation, not latin, so hopefully next year will be fine
Reply 15
i prefer the lit in classics compared to the lit in latin, mainly because it's not as in depth; you still do have to know your texts well, but you do not have to quote directly like you do in latin, and you do not have to analyse the language techniques used. i find classics more interesting because theres a wider range of things you learn about, whereas latin is just the language and memorising your set texts.
p.s. because not every school does latin, you can still learn latin in uni if you really want to! good luck with ur options, i'd love to know what you end up choosing! (:

Hey, you're so kind! I have ended up choosing Classical Civilisation, but it's fine, I think I'll like it!

Quick Reply

Latest