The Student Room Group

Latin GCSE Exam boards

Recently, my school's head of Latin announced that my year onwards will do the GCSE Latin Eduqas course/exams. Most of us did not even know that exam boards other than OCR did Latin GCSE, so it was honestly quite surprising. Most of my friends said that Latin is a prestigious subject, regardless of exam board, but it appears as though Latin Eduqas GCSE is significantly easier. Do you think that taking Latin on this easier exam board would affect college and university acceptance or just my overall student 'outlook'? I had planned on taking one out of my two languages to GCSE level (either French or Latin), Latin seeming definite, but this sudden change to a different, apparently less impressive exam board is making me doubtful. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Reply 1
Original post by gruezome
Recently, my school's head of Latin announced that my year onwards will do the GCSE Latin Eduqas course/exams. Most of us did not even know that exam boards other than OCR did Latin GCSE, so it was honestly quite surprising. Most of my friends said that Latin is a prestigious subject, regardless of exam board, but it appears as though Latin Eduqas GCSE is significantly easier. Do you think that taking Latin on this easier exam board would affect college and university acceptance or just my overall student 'outlook'? I had planned on taking one out of my two languages to GCSE level (either French or Latin), Latin seeming definite, but this sudden change to a different, apparently less impressive exam board is making me doubtful. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Hi as far as I know it won't affect your appectance to anywhere? Because if you think about it there are many examboards and each schools do it differently. If they are an examboard they have to pass certain requirements to be able for that course to be considered gcse level so no? All examboards have to be around the same level. And doing latin is pretty impressive for me and it is regardless of examboard. Examboards don't really matter unless they is another factpr affecting it. That's my thought as a current gcse student xx
My opinion is that Eduqas is slightly easier than OCR (less grammar, able to have a clean copy of the set text in the exam, third paper is usually a cultural background option) but it is only marginally so. I doubt it would matter as admissions tutors are not going to be that clued up on every exam board and paper combination, so as long as you get a decent grade I'm sure that's all they will be looking for.

Quick Reply

Latest