The Student Room Group

Predictions of A level classical civilisation 2023

What do you guys predict the question to be for A-level Classical Civilisation OCR- World of Hero? Specifically Aeneid and Odyssey

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I’m wondering also, studying The Odyssey, Aeneid and also Greek Art and Religion. Please can we have some feedback about last year’s questions getting a bit worried.
Reply 2
Original post by Lot2
I’m wondering also, studying The Odyssey, Aeneid and also Greek Art and Religion. Please can we have some feedback about last year’s questions getting a bit worried.

Last years question for odyssey and aeneid were about women and xenia mainly
Reply 3
Thank you for your reply.
For Aeneid- possibly something on the relationship to the Augustan regime. I don't think that's come up yet
Reply 5
Thank you, I guess for the 30 mark question?
Original post by snufkinstevens
For Aeneid- possibly something on the relationship to the Augustan regime. I don't think that's come up yet

Its not come up in a paper but the 2022 specimen paper 30 marker is To what extent do you consider praising Augustus to be the only purpose of the Aeneid?. So its probably unlikely to come up
Reply 7
Do you guys have any notes for the odyssey, Aeneid, imperial image, and Athenian democracy? If so please do pm or just put it on the thread. Thank you. Good luck. We can di it
Reply 8
does anyone else study Love and Relationships instead of Greek Religion ??
Reply 9
Only got books that we were given (OCR). Good luck though for next week.
Original post by nhwpty

yeah i do
Original post by nhwpty

yes i do!
Reply 12
Original post by laurenbuntingx
yeah i do

Sorry no doing Greek Art and Religion
Reply 13
thoughtg I was the only one !!! find it so much harder than the other two I just can't get on with it ...putting it out of mind until after greek theatre !
Does anyone have notes on similes, speeches and literary techniques in the Aeneid and the Odyssey? I'm worried a question might come up and don't know what to use
Original post by justhereiguess
What do you guys predict the question to be for A-level Classical Civilisation OCR- World of Hero? Specifically Aeneid and Odyssey

for Aeneid- maybe fate/ fathers and sons/ Turnus
for Odyssey- slaves/ telemachus/ women in general?
Original post by azure_sylph
for Aeneid- maybe fate/ fathers and sons/ Turnus
for Odyssey- slaves/ telemachus/ women in general?

what points would you make for a full Odyssey question on slaves?
Original post by clarelmiller
what points would you make for a full Odyssey question on slaves?

Discus the theme of loyal vs disloyal servants: what happens to the disloyal ones by the end and how the loyal ones survive
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Athenianowl
Does anyone have notes on similes, speeches and literary techniques in the Aeneid and the Odyssey? I'm worried a question might come up and don't know what to use

me too! i'm so nervous i don't have any notes on any of that. i'm planning today to go through some of the major similes and speeches.
Original post by pkchan
me too! i'm so nervous i don't have any notes on any of that. i'm planning today to go through some of the major similes and speeches.

Someone on another forum offered some similes:
Dido being compared to a wounded doe rummaging around in her sad love for Aeneas
The Carthaginian’s being compared to like bees at the beginning of summer - this acting as a microcosm for their society
Turnus when he is circling the Trojan camp is compared to a frustrated wolf, but the sheep in there are bleeting (turnus the leader of the pack, the Trojan’s are lost and mere sheep without Aeneas around)
Euryalus compared to, in death, like poppies that bow their heads when the rain wearies their necks
Aeneas is tragically portrayed trying to embrace Anchises’ ghost, but he is unsuccessful for his phantom melts in his hands, “as weightless as the wind, as light as the flight of sleep”
Camilla is portrayed horrifically in her military actions - she is compared to, in her killing of Arruns, an eagle ripping out the entrails of a dove.
Turnus is shown savagely in his comparison to in a simile by Virgil to a huge boulder that crashes down the mountainside when he realises, and approaches Aeneas for the duel against him.
The speeches in the Aeneid are very grand and highly rhetoric - everyone has their part to play
- Tripartite structure in the council of the gods between Venus and Juno in their argument over who was responsible for the tragedies that had happened
- Grand speeches between Dido and Aeneas in Book 4 - Dido condemns Aeneas in a huge speech, Aeneas responds in a lacklustre manner and Dido speaks again in horror at this means of response.
- Euryalus’ mother’s speech is highly critical of war and is interesting in the way a woman of the Virgillian era can be so truthful. - she questions why the war, why the suffering
- Turnus’ speech following Allecto’s meddling is suddenly crazed and in stark contrast to how he initially responded to her - “Weapons!” He says…
- Jupiter’s prophecy in Book 1 is clearly propaganda, he reassures Venus that the mission to found Rome will be fulfilled and he will impose that the empire itself will know “no limits”
- Evander’s speech following his son’s Pallas’ death is troublesome, he says that this is not what his son had promised him would happen, yet he had sent him off to battle anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending