The Student Room Group

Latin A2 AHHHHH

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mouse Potato
Does anyone know what the balance of style and content should be roughly in our Tacitus answers tomorrow? I was thinking of going more towards style but still plenty of content depending on the question, so like 65:35 ratio-ish? :s

I think one of the questions might be more content based but I'm not sure. I'm quite scared now. My confidence completely depends on which section comes up - most of them are fine but completely lacking for two or three sections :frown:

Also very worried about prose composition because I think it's easy to just throw away marks by trying to overcomplicate or just not thinking about the case properly. :frown:

Cannot wait till it's over.
I'm hoping for Sections 8 and maybe 12. So, naturally, it'll be 5 and 16. :P

How's everyone feeling about Caesar? I'm a lot better off with his Latin than I was with Ovid's, that's for sure... good luck everyone! (though not too much luck - don't want the boundaries rocketing :P ).
Reply 142
Good Luck everybody :smile:
Reply 143
Guys how did u all find it? I did tacitus and the english to latin, i wrote quite a lot but its difficult to tell how i did. Can anyone re-write the english to latin translation please....many thanks
Reply 144
Anyone else do Caesar and find bits of it really hard? Tacitus was quite nice, I thought :smile: x

Wow, who the hell is this a***hole neg repping everyone who found it hard? Surely, they should be glad?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 145
I found the Caesar really hard.. really doubt I will get an A now :frown:
Reply 146
English to latin was piss lol should have done that
Reply 147
it was soooo easy as in there ws no step up from as just a bit more vocab
Reply 148
hmmmmmm, Caesar was utterly disgusting. A fact only mediated by Tacitus being alright. To much wind and fire and me not having a clue who was doing what and when :P. Never been much good at translating though.
I HATED the caesar... I think I've just waved goodbye to that A I was hoping for :frown:(((
Reply 150
What was hard about the caesar- as in the grammar for the translation or vocab or gramma questions??
Reply 151
Personally i found the vocab ok, it was just that i found it hard to know who was doing what and hence found most of it fairly confusing.
Reply 152
hm, how are the grade boundaries determined if people find the english to latin easy and prose hard?
Reply 153
I think more people take the caesar so hopefully grade boundairies would be lower
Reply 154
This sounds horrible, but I'm relieved to see other people found the Caesar hard (save one, and someone who is unnecessarily neg repping everyone).. I know what you mean about vocab being ok but it was just confusing!
Also, I see people talking about grade boundaries a lot on these exam threads, but I don't think they change very much at all sadly :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 155
i was thinking about that, and it can only be fair for OCR to determine separate grade boundaries for each section. So the grade boundaries for comprehension are separate from those of latin to english. Surely the same works for Tacitus and Livy etc etc. Because otherwise it would be akin to having the same grade boundaries for two totally different exams.

Please someone correct me if im wrong but from my perspective that is the only fair and representative way in which OCR could do it.
Reply 156
Tacitus was fine, Prose composition was pretty good, and no I don't think they differentiate between the Caesar and the Prose, the UMS boundaries are normally the same I think.
Reply 157
Tacitus fine. Caesar horrific. I got the gist, but it was a difficult passage. I think what made it particularly tricky was that there weren't a lot of extended grammatical constructions to give you a fairly solid framework; it seemed to be really loose and woolly.
Reply 158
Original post by JF24
Tacitus fine. Caesar horrific. I got the gist, but it was a difficult passage. I think what made it particularly tricky was that there weren't a lot of extended grammatical constructions to give you a fairly solid framework; it seemed to be really loose and woolly.

Loose and woolly, yes! That's what was yucky about it! (Sounds like I'm being sarcastic but I'm not, I know exactly what you mean)
Original post by LawQC
I think more people take the caesar so hopefully grade boundairies would be lower

This. It's usualyl something like a 75/25 split, so not even comparable. The grade boundaries are more based on the Caesar, so it works out pretty well. =)

Tacitus was amazing. Caesar I think was about 50:50... some of it felt good, the rest was a nightmare. Still, it came out about as well as I could have hoped it to, the comprehension bits went prety well I think, apart from that stupid animadverti question. Especially seeing as everyone else seemingly found it equally tough, i'm happy, so I'm just going to wait and see and hope for an A. :3

Quick Reply

Latest