The Student Room Group

Latin A2 AHHHHH

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by Mouse Potato
This. It's usualyl something like a 75/25 split, so not even comparable. The grade boundaries are more based on the Caesar, so it works out pretty well. =)

Tacitus was amazing. Caesar I think was about 50:50... some of it felt good, the rest was a nightmare. Still, it came out about as well as I could have hoped it to, the comprehension bits went prety well I think, apart from that stupid animadverti question. Especially seeing as everyone else seemingly found it equally tough, i'm happy, so I'm just going to wait and see and hope for an A. :3

Was animadverti the present passive infinitive? I guessed :redface:
Original post by eve_m
Was animadverti the present passive infinitive? I guessed :redface:

Yes but I and the 6 other people doing Latin in my year forgot the present part argh was proud at getting that and I knew it was present just forgot it was necesary to say that
Reply 162
Original post by blahblah16
Yes but I and the 6 other people doing Latin in my year forgot the present part argh was proud at getting that and I knew it was present just forgot it was necesary to say that

I bet they'll give it to you anyway, it'd be really stingey not to. And yeah, that one was like an epiphany.. The rest of the paper, not so much :redface: Oh to have 6 other people doing Latin with me - there's only 3 of us doing it in my year, 1 doing it this afternoon and 1 had extra time, so I had no time to whinge about it with anyone after the exam :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 163
Yes the grade boundaires would be the same, they dont differentiate if the caesar happens to be harder. Ye grade boundaries should be lower since more people do the caesar and it was harder than the english to latin
Does anyone have the details of what passage the Caesar was from? Thank you! :smile: Xxx
Reply 165
Original post by TheWaffle
Does anyone have the details of what passage the Caesar was from? Thank you! :smile: Xxx

It's number 14 in here http://ancienthistory.about.com/library/bl/bl_text_caesar_bellumciv_2_latin.htm
I'm sure you could find a translation online by looking for Civil Wars II but I can't face that right now :redface:
Reply 166
Well... That paper was something of a gift after last week's fiasco.

The Tacitus sections were good, as were the accompanying questions. Pleased with those.

Then I did the Prose Comp. Apart from blanking on all the words for 'attack', 'take heart', and 'stand firm' and using alternatives I stuffed it full of Style marks sooo... Fingers crossed that'll come right.

Really pleased with how that went. I know those in my year that did the Caesar complained at how hard it was. I just looked at the length of the passage, chuckled, and turned over.
Original post by AmroTT

The Tacitus sections were good, as were the accompanying questions. Pleased with those.

Then I did the Prose Comp. Apart from blanking on all the words for 'attack', 'take heart', and 'stand firm' and using alternatives I stuffed it full of Style marks sooo... Fingers crossed that'll come right.

Really pleased with how that went. I know those in my year that did the Caesar complained at how hard it was. I just looked at the length of the passage, chuckled, and turned over.

I know what you mean about the 'take heart' thing. I didn't know what to put for that so just tried to use an alternative.
i just googled animadverti and this is what it came up with:

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/animadverto
Reply 169
Original post by Marisa_Grace
I know what you mean about the 'take heart' thing. I didn't know what to put for that so just tried to use an alternative.

i put moti sint
Reply 170
Original post by AmroTT

For attack i used impetus facere, for take heart - moti sint and stand firm i put in posito tenere (i think the last one is wrong).
Reply 171
Original post by Choca Mocha
i just googled animadverti and this is what it came up with:

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/animadverto

this shows you all the possibilities for what it could be :smile: http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/morph?l=animadverti&la=la
Reply 172
Original post by Marisa_Grace

'Nunc fortiores in anima' = 'Now stronger in spirit' is what I wrote instead :smile:
Definitely agreeing that Tacitus was surprisingly pleasant, and Caesar made me want to bash my head against the desk repeatedly at times :tongue: Ah well, I'll just wait and see, with fingers crossed I suppose. I'd be alright about it if it wasn't for the stupid A*!
Reply 174
Caesar was awful! I just looked up the translation and got soo many bits wrong :frown: I looked up the grade boundaries for last year's prose paper, 73 for an A, and in the verse only 70 for an A, which comforts me slightly lol
Reply 175
Original post by aliceb
Caesar was awful! I just looked up the translation and got soo many bits wrong :frown: I looked up the grade boundaries for last year's prose paper, 73 for an A, and in the verse only 70 for an A, which comforts me slightly lol

I have a feeling the verse boundaries will be ridiculously high though due to people having already done the passage. ye hopefully the prose boundaries will be lower due to Caesar.
Reply 176
Original post by LawQC
I have a feeling the verse boundaries will be ridiculously high though due to people having already done the passage. ye hopefully the prose boundaries will be lower due to Caesar.

On the Virgil front, I don't actually think they will (re: my last post on this issue). Firstly because I'm not sure it's conferred that much of an advantage on anyone, and those that have seen it before are unlikely to remember a great deal - if they do however, they'll be a fractional minority.

Factor in the fact Ofqual have had several complaints about it, and OCR have too. It hasn't hit the national press (and I doubt it will now), but they're aware that allowing high grade boundaries because of this egregious oversight of theirs will undoubtedly be a deeply unpopular move with the centres.

And let's not forget, there aren't that many that do Latin; so they're (relatively) small and intimate meetings that they have. Any bad feeling in a meeting like that will come out, from the teachers concerned. It's their students and their departments who suffer, after all.
Reply 177
Well that was pretty hideous! Tacitus was okay...Caesar was a complete nightmare- the questions were terrible and the translation didn't seem to hold together...if anyone knows what i mean by that! :confused: Just really hoping for incredibly low grade boundaries, though it seems unlikely :frown:. Didn't help that it followed the worst C4 paper i have ever had to face aswell.
Reply 178
Original post by Salvius
Well that was pretty hideous! Tacitus was okay...Caesar was a complete nightmare- the questions were terrible and the translation didn't seem to hold together...if anyone knows what i mean by that! :confused: Just really hoping for incredibly low grade boundaries, though it seems unlikely :frown:. Didn't help that it followed the worst C4 paper i have ever had to face aswell.

Hiiii :hi: I almost wish we'd done prose comp now :frown: Damn Devlin.
Reply 179
Original post by eve_m
Hiiii :hi: I almost wish we'd done prose comp now :frown: Damn Devlin.

Yeh i know...sucks! :frown: None of my sentences really made any sense...definitely no style points for me! If any points at all :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest