The Student Room Group

Internships next summer with a 2:2 this year

I'm looking to do an internship after the completion of my 2nd year of uni, but I've been told by numerous people I need a 2:1 at least in 1st year to have any hope of getting on to one. Well, results came and I got a mid 2:2, so can anyone tell me if there's any hope of getting on a scheme?
Reply 1
My friend managed to get a summer internship with Goldman Sachs with a 2:2 this year, so there is hope. You just have do do really well in the interviews and make sure your CV and covering letter/application forms etc. are up to scratch.
Reply 2
Original post by Philbert
My friend managed to get a summer internship with Goldman Sachs with a 2:2 this year, so there is hope. You just have do do really well in the interviews and make sure your CV and covering letter/application forms etc. are up to scratch.

Does everyone who applies get through to the interview stage?
Reply 3
Original post by Karma Charger
Does everyone who applies get through to the interview stage?

Erm... what do you think?
Reply 4
It depends on the application process. Some will ask you specifically for you mark from first year (or previous year) in which case you must tell them that you got a 2.2. This will likely lead to your application being automatically filtered out. Other companies ask you for your 'predicted' grade for your whole degree in which case you can put 2.1.
Reply 5
You can't apply to JP Morgan or Nomura as they specifically ask for a breakdown of your 1st year modules
Reply 6
Original post by Focus08
You can't apply to JP Morgan or Nomura as they specifically ask for a breakdown of your 1st year modules

Yes you can. Even placed that require a breakdown have people interning their at the moment who got a 2.2 in their first year.

Just make sure your application is strong in all areas.
Reply 7
Original post by Eklipz89
Yes you can. Even placed that require a breakdown have people interning their at the moment who got a 2.2 in their first year.

Just make sure your application is strong in all areas.

Obviously, they got the offers and must have impressed greatly on interviews/ AC's.

Are there any tips which these people did to obtain the internships, or did these people simply lie about their grades... given that there is a lot more to a job than what grades one ibtains.
Reply 8
I'm looking to do an internship after the completion of my 2nd year of uni, but I've been told by numerous people I need a 2:1 at least in 1st year to have any hope of getting on to one. Well, results came and I got a mid 2:2, so can anyone tell me if there's any hope of getting on a scheme?

Got exactly the same problem, that´s why I am spending my summer and working as hell in a bank.. hope this helps me next year :frown:
Reply 9
Original post by neo383
Got exactly the same problem, that´s why I am spending my summer and working as hell in a bank.. hope this helps me next year :frown:

How did you get a job in a bank? FML been looking for a job in a bank as well

What university do you go to? A problem of having a 2:2 may be mitigated by the fact that you go to a target uni.
Original post by EconUndergrad
What university do you go to? A problem of having a 2:2 may be mitigated by the fact that you go to a target uni.

Southampton?
Reply 12
Southampton?

What do you study and what do you hope to intern in?
Reply 13

mate, it´s really hard to get an internship in UK in your first year, especially in Investment Banking.. As my parents live in Sweden (and I went to school here), I applied to around 50 places including hedge funds, banks and pension funds. Got one in fixed income trading, but I still think that this will not be enough so I am looking for one more internship in september for two weeks... I would recommend you to do the same to boost your CV.
I just called HR and they forwarded my CV to the manager. From what I have seen, these people don´t have time to check their emails and reply to all students who want to get an internship.. Just cold call to HR, maybe you could get something for september or december.
Good luck and f*ck the guy who gave me negative rating on my previous message :biggrin: Feel free to pm if you need any tips!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending