The Student Room Group

CS insight day advice

I'm a first year Uni student and I'm doing CS that includes a year in industry. I've heard that year in industry gives enough experience and benefits that it's worth doing it for a whole year so I applied for that one (4 years in total).

I'm just aiming to study as hard as possible and just get as much experience as possible. I've had a look at a couple of 1 /2 day insight programmes for good companys (that later can lead to summer internship/spring internships) however they all say that the only students eligible are students in their 1st year of a 3 course or in 2nd of their 4th year course.

Can someone explain to me why this is and how to get around it for such experience? On top of that, I'm not even completely set on the year in industry, so would it be a silly desicion to transfer to a 3 year course, applying to these insight days and then in 2nd year deciding if I want to do the year in industry?

I would appreciate any advice!
Reply 1
Original post by updown14
I'm a first year Uni student and I'm doing CS that includes a year in industry. I've heard that year in industry gives enough experience and benefits that it's worth doing it for a whole year so I applied for that one (4 years in total).

I'm just aiming to study as hard as possible and just get as much experience as possible. I've had a look at a couple of 1 /2 day insight programmes for good companys (that later can lead to summer internship/spring internships) however they all say that the only students eligible are students in their 1st year of a 3 course or in 2nd of their 4th year course.

Can someone explain to me why this is and how to get around it for such experience? On top of that, I'm not even completely set on the year in industry, so would it be a silly desicion to transfer to a 3 year course, applying to these insight days and then in 2nd year deciding if I want to do the year in industry?

I would appreciate any advice!

To be honest, you're still doing a three year course teaching wise - I think four year must be a integrated masters in CS. I mean it's surely worth applying either way, if they reject you and tell you to come back next year, you haven't really lost that much. Also, pretty sure you can just transfer off the Year in Industry part if you wanted to next year - it's the same content except Year 3 content is taken in Year 4

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending