The Student Room Group

Really lost in career plans as an upcoming third year student

I have just finished my second year and had an interview yesterday from a very small company for a summer internship that will proceed this July. This is the only internship i applied for since it had a deadline and I just applied to see whats going to happen. After yesterday just speaking to the students, it finally made me realise how unserious i have been for the past 2 years of my degree. I should have been applying to spring weeks, summer internships and even placement year programmes (since I am on the placement year course) but I am risking getting a 2:2 for second year, meaning I possibly will not be able to transfer onto the Msci programme (4 years and requires a 2:1) and there are no placement applications open right now. I feel like everything is a little too late for me to realise that I ****ed up, I should have been on the game early since it's already really competitive but I am just a bit lost for my plans going forward. Say i do get a 2:2 when results come out, this means that I will stay on the BSc programme and i will be a third year student. Does this close me off from applying to summer internships since they are open for penultimate year students only? I just hope that I get to secure at least an internship before I graduate, since I heard having no internships or experience will make it very hard for you to land a job. i am just very lost at the moment and don't really know what to do going forward.
Reply 1
Original post by uchiha01
I have just finished my second year and had an interview yesterday from a very small company for a summer internship that will proceed this July. This is the only internship i applied for since it had a deadline and I just applied to see whats going to happen. After yesterday just speaking to the students, it finally made me realise how unserious i have been for the past 2 years of my degree. I should have been applying to spring weeks, summer internships and even placement year programmes (since I am on the placement year course) but I am risking getting a 2:2 for second year, meaning I possibly will not be able to transfer onto the Msci programme (4 years and requires a 2:1) and there are no placement applications open right now. I feel like everything is a little too late for me to realise that I ****ed up, I should have been on the game early since it's already really competitive but I am just a bit lost for my plans going forward. Say i do get a 2:2 when results come out, this means that I will stay on the BSc programme and i will be a third year student. Does this close me off from applying to summer internships since they are open for penultimate year students only? I just hope that I get to secure at least an internship before I graduate, since I heard having no internships or experience will make it very hard for you to land a job. i am just very lost at the moment and don't really know what to do going forward.

There is not necessarily a difference between a placement and a job. Why not look at getting yourself a one year fixed contract job. You can be open about the fact you are looking for experience and as such are happy to negotiate a competitive salary in line with that. I found that a year in industry really focussed me for my final year so do it and do it asap!

As for what you want to do. Sign up to start profile and answer questions about your skills and preferences. It might give you some ideas
https://careers.startprofile.com/identity/register-new-account
Hey, if it makes you feel any better, I did not take 3 years of my degree seriously. I didn't get into any internships. I didn't do any placements. Only had one warehouse job during the summer. I basically did f**k all and I only graduated with a bachelors and only a 2:1. I was still able to find a decent grad job that I am happy with currently.

Summer internships are typically for students in the penultimate year of uni because these companies want people to work for them when they graduate. (unless they did badly in the internship of course). Whether it's a 2:2 or a 2:1 you can still make a competitive enough application. I am sure that you did stuff at uni and you could put those things on your CV. I don't know what jobs you're trying to apply for, but maybe you can also have a chat with your university's career advisor and explain your situation and see what they say.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending